Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I've got an iMac with 10.13.5 and have tried to update to .6. Both the update through the MAS and via the downloaded combo updater hang just after hitting restart; I get a black screen with cursor. After a long time waiting if I restart it I find myself in 10.13.5.

Any ideas?

Naiera

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
I just tried to update and it wouldn't. I tried again and again but always got the same screen, saying it didn't work. Thankfully, I was able to quit the installation program and start 10.13.5 as usual.

Cisto1983

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2015
Italy
My MacBook Pro (2016) turned off during the update (while connected to the charger, full battery). I turned it on again and it resumed the update. Weird! Never happened since I started using a Mac (12 years ago)...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
The past couple of updates (.4, .5) I have had to have a couple of runs at both my MBP and iMac before the update would take, all cases seemed to complete but the version and build numbers in AMM didn't change. I tried using both the MAS update and the combo but no obvious pattern.

.6 was ok for me on both machines but I note did provide a firmware update on my early-2011 MBP...

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
First try it failed for me too with a 'couldn't install software' pop-up and reverted back to .5. Restarted and tried again and second time it eventually worked but it took around 45 minutes and restarted about 6 or 7 times. I am guessing it might be because I have my boot disk and all other disks formatted as APFS. As soon as it finished mdworkers went wild chewing up all my cpu reindexing spotlight forever. I hate spotlight but if i turn it off I can't even search within mail which is a must have feature. Mail should have it's own indexer and search apart from spotlight that perhaps spotlight can query to get those results.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I've got an iMac with 10.13.5 and have tried to update to .6. Both the update through the MAS and via the downloaded combo updater hang just after hitting restart; I get a black screen with cursor. After a long time waiting if I restart it I find myself in 10.13.5.

Any ideas?
Some positive news: updated 3 machines within a few hours without a problem.
;JOOP!

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Some positive news: updated 3 machines within a few hours without a problem.
;JOOP!
I noted an exclamation mark on Time Machine user interface when I checked Preferences. I clicked on it and it said error occured while creating backup folder. So I just clicked on Back Up Now and everything went ok.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I noted an exclamation mark on Time Machine user interface when I checked Preferences. I clicked on it and it said error occured while creating backup folder. So I just clicked on Back Up Now and everything went ok.
Congrats.
Besides, APPLE creates a dilemma for us every time: what is more risky? to update or not to update.
Sometimes I seem to have forgotten all those trouble years with MSWindows .....
;JOOP!

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
13.6 was the worst, hardest to accomplish ever on my 2011 mini. Twice the restart failed. The menu bar at the top disappeared and then froze. Waited 30 minutes the first time then finally had to pull the plug. Second attempt same failure, pulled the plug. Upon restart after the second failure I shutdown normally. When attempting to restart with a Command-R restart, the installation started and am finally on 13.6 but as noted, this was the worst, hardest, strangest head scratching installation I have ever had on any of my macs. Not sure I want to update my 2013 nMP.

Reactions: simplexity

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
No problems updating my late 2013 15" rMBP. Process was normal and machine is running fine.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
No problems updating my late 2013 15" rMBP. Process was normal and machine is running fine.
Reading all the above, there must be a cause which creates trouble for some and not for others.
We, ordinary users, can not find out how and why without the help of APPLE.
I could only guess that it is an innocent setting or some legal third party app.
So, I suggest everybody switches event sharing with APPLE on, otherwise it will never stop.
;JOOP!

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
13" 2015 rMBP no issues, no hang on restart, so far batting .500
2013 nMP no hang on restart. Smooth install.
Final batting average .667

Last edited:

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
13.6 was the worst, hardest to accomplish ever on my 2011 mini. Twice the restart failed. The menu bar at the top disappeared and then froze. Waited 30 minutes the first time then finally had to pull the plug. Second attempt same failure, pulled the plug. Upon restart after the second failure I shutdown normally. When attempting to restart with a Command-R restart, the installation started and am finally on 13.6 but as noted, this was the worst, hardest, strangest head scratching installation I have ever had on any of my macs. Not sure I want to update my 2013 nMP.

Good to know. Even though 10.13.5. was gtg I think I'll wait before updating my mid-2011 Mini to 10.13.6. It was a rocky start in the beginning but I thought it had settled out with 10.13.4 and later. I guess it's still going on. After 10.13.1 we keep trying to wake up from a bad dream like this was someone's school computer science experiment. I hope these recent update issues get fixed soon if ever or I will be wishing for a 10.13.7 update.
[doublepost=1531441494][/doublepost]
I think I'll wait a few days before plunging in.

Confucius say ;)

"Those who wait to take the plunge won't have to do the plunging."
[doublepost=1531441920][/doublepost]
Reading all the above, there must be a cause which creates trouble for some and not for others...
Bad Apple? Luck of the draw? Karma?

Last edited:
Reactions: simplexity

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
"Bad Apple? Luck of the draw? Karma?
If you would ask those users: "what special did you do / install?", the answer is always "NOTHING AT ALL".
Yet ...
;JOOP!

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
My update to my 2011 Mini didn't turn out well at all. Firstoff, the update froze when it should have restarted, maybe that was the root cause, the Mac was almost useless. CPU usage was constantly blazing, mouse and keyboard would become unresponsive and finally it would restart all within 20 minutes or so. Had to time machine restore from before the update.

Will be waiting a bit before updating again.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
My update to my 2011 Mini didn't turn out well at all. Firstoff, the update froze when it should have restarted, maybe that was the root cause, the Mac was almost useless. CPU usage was constantly blazing, mouse and keyboard would become unresponsive and finally it would restart all within 20 minutes or so. Had to time machine restore from before the update.

Will be waiting a bit before updating again.
If you read post #10,, you will see my 2011 mini also was a rough update. It's done now so it can be done. Good luck.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
If you read post #10,, you will see my 2011 mini also was a rough update. It's done now so it can be done. Good luck.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately a number of users have been reporting issues with 10.13.6 even when updating from 10.13.5. On my 2011 Mini the update from 10.12.6 to 10.13.5 went as smooth as silk not to mention a slight performance bump as well. At least you got 10.13.6 running. I will still be using 10.13.5 until the update gets auto recommended and pushed from the App Store. Now that you got your feet wet with HS you will be ready for any potential storm of dust devils that come with the Mojave upgrade in the Fall.

Update: The auto update on all my Macs activated the download and recommended the update from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6. All the updates went smoothly with no problems at all and 10.13.6 seems to be working well on all my machines.

Last edited:

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately a number of users have been reporting issues with 10.13.6 even when updating from 10.13.5. On my 2011 Mini the update from 10.12.6 to 10.13.5 went as smooth as silk not to mention a slight performance bump as well. At least you got 10.13.6 running. I will still be using 10.13.5 until the update gets auto recommended and pushed from the App Store. Now that you got your feet wet with HS you will be ready for any potential storm of dust devils that come with the Mojave upgrade in the Fall.
It seems to me that we're all punished for buying gear that lasts for some decade.
Formerly, my cheap PC's and laptops gave up before MS 'gave them up' for updating.
But thinking it over, I'll stay with Mac.
;JOOP!

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Tried updating a siblings MBP the other night from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6. As soon as it rebooted, it gets stuck at the loading bar after entering the password to login. Tried almost every generic solution for booting issues including re-installing macOS with no success.

Ended up having to wipe the drive and start clean again. Fortunately, this particular laptop isn't super heavily used so I was able to boot in with a macOS install on a USB drive and backed up a few files.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Turned out it was a kext, hasplmd is the process. Used with some dongles to verify your license to use a product (in my case, an Xrite colorimeter. Think it may be used with Avid stuff as well).

The company has an update, so with that I get consistent restarts and shutdowns now. The company, Gemalto, is I think involved with Apple re iPhone esims.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
It seems to me that we're all punished for buying gear that lasts for some decade.
Formerly, my cheap PC's and laptops gave up before MS 'gave them up' for updating.
But thinking it over, I'll stay with Mac.
;JOOP!
I agree. I was a MS Windows PC user for a very long time. I got so tired of waiting for the Windows to update through the years that I look back and wish I had all the days, weeks, months and years of wasted time and productivity back.

Moving over to Macs has saved me a lot of time and money despite the initial up front costs of the machines. All the little things are just taken care of on the Macs (drivers, updates, preinstalled software, etc.). My experience with Apple support the few times when I have had to contact them has always been superb.

I still run Windows in their VMs but I can continue to use the Mac while Windows wastes time updating. I clone the VMs as a security backup. The slips and glitches are nothing compared to the headaches I've had in the past with Windows only machines. Things are so much easier now. I don't plan on switching again unless Apple really drops the ball.

Last edited:

woodland20

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
Turned out it was a kext, hasplmd is the process. Used with some dongles to verify your license to use a product (in my case, an Xrite colorimeter. Think it may be used with Avid stuff as well).

The company has an update, so with that I get consistent restarts and shutdowns now. The company, Gemalto, is I think involved with Apple re iPhone esims.

I have the same issue - on restart / shutdown i get a black screen with cursor in top left corner after trying to upgrade to 10.13.6.

How did you track the issue down to hasplmd process? I dont have that process but sounds like it may be some other kext. Any help much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.