Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Let's try something.

Let's post our wishlist items for the next version of MacOS, but only one wish per post. Then 'like' the posts that you agree this will benefit all of use if we sort the thread by the most liked posts so we can see which are the most popular wishlist items.

It may seem like this could create a lot of posts, but ultimately it is likely to be better than a lot of duplicate posts. If you are with me please post one wishlist item per post! (and don't forget to like posts that you agree with)

Let's Go!

Wishlist items, One per Post. (and click thumbs up on the posts that you like)
[doublepost=1494789747][/doublepost]See attached image

Attachments

• Screen 2017-05-14 at 3.20.42 PM.jpg
    Screen 2017-05-14 at 3.20.42 PM.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 527

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
A TRUE dark mode (or theater mode) for macOS, along with iOS 11, that provides a dark interface to all the bright/white elements on the UI, like the Notification Centre sidebar, wich even with the current dark mode on Sierra, is white.

I mean, even the Finder interface, Safari interface, all the windows with a darker theme. Sort of deep dark grey.

And that's not all: With a new algorithm, even the bright white color of webpages like, for instance, this forum, the Google search page, etc. would be darker, like grayish... Enough for the text to be read. This would be optional, of course.

Because a dark interface is not only a black menu bar and a black dock.
Even the dialogue pop-ups would be dark. The apps interface, the

Last edited:

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Make windows "snap" like they do with Magnet! I'd like to get official support for this so that I don't have to rely on the app anymore. We kind of saw a step towards this with El Capitan, but that's not enough.

I think the Apple equivalent is the two up fullscreen thing because they suffer from Not Invented Here Syndrome. The reality is Micro-Soft got it right. Just copy it and be damned, Apple.

Reactions: @VdeLeeuw_ARC

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
This may not be as snazzy as windows, but perhaps revamp Time Machine to use something like Borg Backup as the main engine. This would allow backups to be quicker, but more secure (no need to encrypt the entire destination drive), and with the ability to mount snapshots as filesystems via FUSE, the UI could be essentially the same as before. Plus, with deduplication and compression, it will save significantly on space.

Another item, since APFS supports it, would be to have something similar to FileVault 1, where an individual user directory can be encrypted to that user's key. That way, if a machine is compromised while a user is not logged in, that user's home directory is protected.

Of course, having checksums/CRCs in APFS would be nice as well...

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

bringel

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Let's try something.

Let's post our wishlist items for the next version of MacOS, but only one wish per post. Then 'like' the posts that you agree this will benefit all of use if we sort the thread by the most liked posts so we can see which are the most popular wishlist items.

It may seem like this could create a lot of posts, but ultimately it is likely to be better than a lot of duplicate posts. If you are with me please post one wishlist item per post! (and don't forget to like posts that you agree with)

Let's Go!

Wishlist items, One per Post. (and click thumbs up on the posts that you like)
[doublepost=1494789747][/doublepost]See attached image
Safari: I would like to see a feature added to Safari that would disable automatic site reloads. I think it could be accomplished by appending a control command onto the URL such as: http://www.anysite.com/?refresh=false
It is most annoying when reading a news sight when the page is refreshed every couple minutes mainly to accumulate more clicks for the host.

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
The ability to customize the quick access control screen (swipe up) -- to use frequently-accessed functions. For example, I almost never need airplane mode, but I'd love to have that button enable/disable Location Services. This is a convenience item/menu and so it should be up to the individual user as to what is "convenient" or at least offer some flexibility.

Maux76

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Italy
remake windows switcher or mission control , allow user to preview apps minimized to icons!!!! similar to old snow leopard!!!

More Finder feature and new files preview!!

multiple docks!!!

64 bit only kernel!!

APFS!!

Powerful Graphic API

PeteSwan

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2017
I would like to see the screen of a Mac book fold on its back and turn into an iPad and run iOS in this mode with support for touch and Apple Pencil. Then when folded back it was just a screen for MacBook Pro.

Also more solid / easier networking in business environment with mapped drives.

Last edited:

lsochrin

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2002
A much easier way to deal with podcasts - subscribe, manage, play, delete, send to iPhone and AppleTV, all integrated. Right now, it's just too confusing and different everywhere.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I'm hoping for ubiquitous NVMe support built in so not only does it allow users to retro-upgrade their Mac hardware, they can also boot from the NVMe drive.
[doublepost=1495874352][/doublepost]Ooh, one more. I want to see retro support for Graphics cards. With the hopeful upgrade coming for the oft forgotten Mac Pro that will also be user customisable, I'm hoping Apple will provide broader support for OOTB GPUs to the extent that boot screens are supported and no "Mac version" is needed.

Last edited:

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
One thing I really hate about the Mac interface. Try this. Open a window (call it Window A), make it a certain size, shape, and location. Close it. Open another (Window B), do the same but give it a different appearance. Close it. Now reopen Window A, and see how it assumes the appearance of window B. Boooo. The OS should have the ability to remember the appearance of multiple windows.
[doublepost=1495885896][/doublepost]OSX still is problematic in handling multiplie monitors. When I try to run two externals with my iMac it never handles them gracefully, all sorts of problems with things like screen freezes.

keynode1

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
What good is any new feature when the macbook continues to give so many users eye strain problem?

It is a shame the issue early reported back in like 2008, and today in 2017 we are on 10.12.5 now the same disaster is perfectly exactly like the same before.

How can Apple explain that when I boot into recovery (command + R) and use safari in that mode my eye strain is completely GONE and I can browse for hours/days with no problem at all, but then when I boot normally into the macOS the eye strain comes back instantly?

Clearly some graphics driver issue, why Apple continue to ignore this!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=0&tstart=0

Now how much longer Apple want that thread to continue, we are demanding answers, 9 YEARS NOW, Apple just keeps the users guessing without even bother giving any clue.

Again, just why the macOS(with properly loaded drivers) gives me such an eye strain but the recovery mode does NOT, is that not a drivers issue or what!

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
It constantly amazes me that Apple, a company otherwise so security-conscious, fails to give iMac owners (and maybe laptop owners as well, I don't own one so don't know for sure) a way to switch off its camera. Such an option should very definitely be incorporated into OSX.

Mark450

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2017
Reduce window clutter.
I would like to see some sort of window minimize feature - ability to hide/snap/roll-up window/title-bar to screen edge (e.g old OS9; WindowShade; WindowMizer).

Snap window title bar to screen edge, oldie but goldie:

Mac_OS9_hide-windows-edge.jpg

or WindowShade like...

WM_Screenshots_2-800x500.jpg

Last edited:

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
My wish would be for Apple to make sending large multi gigabyte files simple, to find an elegant solution that allows for me to send or receive multi GB files, what I was thinking was a solution that uses the power of the MAC address to navigate the internet, so that my laptop can find or be found via a VPN or linked to iCloud, sending files now is hit and miss, this as a result makes FCPX pretty powerless, files are huge, fibre is fast, yet no way to send files...

Reactions: Preclaro_tipo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.