Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
My wish would be for Apple to make sending large multi gigabyte files simple, to find an elegant solution that allows for me to send or receive multi GB files, what I was thinking was a solution that uses the power of the MAC address to navigate the internet, so that my laptop can find or be found via a VPN or linked to iCloud, sending files now is hit and miss, this as a result makes FCPX pretty powerless, files are huge, fibre is fast, yet no way to send files...
There is a solution for your own Macs built into macOS called Back to my Mac. It's based on a networking concept you are talking about. And there are so many other options you have: iCloud Drive, Mail Drop, Native network sharing, any third-party file sharing service... What more do you need?

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
There is a solution for your own Macs built into macOS called Back to my Mac. It's based on a networking concept you are talking about. And there are so many other options you have: iCloud Drive, Mail Drop, Native network sharing, any third-party file sharing service... What more do you need?
The problem is you cannot send large multi0GB files, video files, from machine to machine. Apple does not have a viable safe, reliable virtual private networking app, the idea of mail drop is great, Apple have yet to realize we live in the 21st century. iCloud is not fit for purpose, it is a badly planned app.

MAC addressing is set for each machine, and for the most part cannot be changed, so knowing 2 fixed points, my MAC address, and the MAC address of the receiving party, as both are signed into a "iCloud-Transfer" app, the "iCloud-Transfer" app would be able to regulate transfer via the internet, manage best route policy, and to perform regular error checking via VPN FTP, so that the client and creative can share private material safely and reliably.

Most places that offer this, have bandwidth issues, or space issues, you pay per GB transfer and are hit and miss.. Apple has completely missed the boat in this regard..
[doublepost=1496034080][/doublepost]
part 2-- For the love of fruit, Apple has not bought DropBox, and why??? What is stopping Apple from buying Akamai for example? The App stores work great, a great example of VPN FTP in action, you sign into the App Store, this is VPN, and the file transfers via FTP, no coding needed...

So why not take the power of App Store, I sign into "iCloud-Transfer", it looks like a naked App Store, select file to upload, then an email is sent via the "iCloud-Transfer" app to my client telling him a file is ready, a one time password is created, he clicks the link in the email, the download starts, and is controlled via "iCloud-Transfer" app. I would not mind paying for storage once off, if the client cannot download at the time of upload.

Yes I know icloud has this option, icloud is clumsy and not user friendly, "iCloud-Transfer" app allows for client per client separation, no need to create or remember passwords etc.

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
The problem is you cannot send large multi0GB files, video files, from machine to machine. Apple does not have a viable safe, reliable virtual private networking app, the idea of mail drop is great, Apple have yet to realize we live in the 21st century. iCloud is not fit for purpose, it is a badly planned app.

MAC addressing is set for each machine, and for the most part cannot be changed, so knowing 2 fixed points, my MAC address, and the MAC address of the receiving party, as both are signed into a "iCloud-Transfer" app, the "iCloud-Transfer" app would be able to regulate transfer via the internet, manage best route policy, and to perform regular error checking via VPN FTP, so that the client and creative can share private material safely and reliably.

Most places that offer this, have bandwidth issues, or space issues, you pay per GB transfer and are hit and miss.. Apple has completely missed the boat in this regard..
[doublepost=1496034080][/doublepost]
part 2-- For the love of fruit, Apple has not bought DropBox, and why??? What is stopping Apple from buying Akamai for example? The App stores work great, a great example of VPN FTP in action, you sign into the App Store, this is VPN, and the file transfers via FTP, no coding needed...

So why not take the power of App Store, I sign into "iCloud-Transfer", it looks like a naked App Store, select file to upload, then an email is sent via the "iCloud-Transfer" app to my client telling him a file is ready, a one time password is created, he clicks the link in the email, the download starts, and is controlled via "iCloud-Transfer" app. I would not mind paying for storage once off, if the client cannot download at the time of upload.

Yes I know icloud has this option, icloud is clumsy and not user friendly, "iCloud-Transfer" app allows for client per client separation, no need to create or remember passwords etc.
Have you ever tried Back to my Mac? It's simple as piece of cake. I used to transfer my 100GB library of Music over night when I was in Berlin back from Moscow and it worked perfectly.

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
What is wrong with my solution? It is easy, once off, requires no download of apps, no configuring of any sort, just sending an email that contains a self generated once off password, valid for a fixed period, no fuss...

No I have not tried back to my mac, Apple is just being Apple, stupid...Like most things Apple, looks good but non functional at heart, sadly!

rogtuf

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I would like to be able to use Snap to Grid for the desktop icons without some of them flying over to the right side of the screen who you try to move the icon to some parts of the screen. It hasn't worked properly for the last four versions of Mac OS and Apple can't seen to fix it.

@VdeLeeuw_ARC

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2017
usually France or Belgium
Let's try something.

I would like improved integration of address book with Mail. I spend unnecessary time copying an email signature from a mail, into all the different address book records. It is rare that the automatic feature selects the right information (although what it selects, is usually put at in the right record). email and phone numbers are usually OK, but street addresses are not dealt with (or rarely).

This would save me considerable amount of time.

Valentijn de Leeuw vdeleeuw@arcweb.com @VdeLeeuw_ARC

Wishlist items, One per Post. (and click thumbs up on the posts that you like)
[doublepost=1494789747][/doublepost]See attached image

thebondman

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
More than anything I want to see a proper implementation of Samba. Every update since Snow Leopard has introduced more and more issues with connecting to SMB shares to the point where it's practically unusable for us in its current state. Since installing Sierra we've had to resort to using Thursby's DAVE just to get by without constant permission issues, file locks, corruptions and numerous other problems. Come on, Apple, it's time you sorted this!

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
What is wrong with my solution? It is easy, once off, requires no download of apps, no configuring of any sort, just sending an email that contains a self generated once off password, valid for a fixed period, no fuss...

No I have not tried back to my mac, Apple is just being Apple, stupid...Like most things Apple, looks good but non functional at heart, sadly!
We are not talking about whether your proposed concept is right or wrong. We are talking about realistic features that Apple might implement into the next macOS. If you think that your concept is better than Apple already offers, then suggest it to bugreport.apple.com. You said that there is no way to transfer large files between computers and I say that are actually many ways exist. If you don't even want to try them, that's not our or Apple's problem. Back to My Mac has been a pretty reliable feature for me. And I use it everyday to access my home Mac from work.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Run iOS apps/games on a Mac

This seems like it would be easy, all the parts are basically in place:
  • iOS games can run on Metal. Macs now have Metal support.
  • XCode already has an iOS emulator - include that in the OS.
  • Macbooks and iMacs with touchpads would provide the touch-sensitive interface, since you need that, or maybe convert mouse movement into touch movement.
Apple wants to sell more Macs. Apple users want more games. Android is moving in this direction.

Am I taking crazy pills? This needs to happen. Think of the possibilities - iphone apps running in the Notification Bar or whatever. It would make the Mac so much more useful. Plus, you could restrict it to iDevice owners - if they bought the app on their phone, it would be available on their Mac.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Something like Trip Mode built into macOS. macOS currently does a bad job at managing mobile data when I connect to my iPhones hotspot. There needs to be efficient profile for such networks, no chatty apps in the background using up date with the ability to define which apps use data. Basically copy Trip Mode.

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
An alternative task switcher (CMD + TAB), that switches WINDOWS and not apps. I often have many windows in the same app, and Mission Controls just isn't what I want to use to switch between them.

junkmail509

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
An alternative task switcher (CMD + TAB), that switches WINDOWS and not apps. I often have many windows in the same app, and Mission Controls just isn't what I want to use to switch between them.

CMD + ~

For switching between windows in same app.

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
CMD + ~

For switching between windows in same app.

Can't get it to work, since the tilda is placed a little different on the danish keyboard. I have tried to remap the shortcut, but havn't got that working either.
[doublepost=1496466245][/doublepost]
Expose is still present in Sierra. Just force-touch on an App icon in dock

I don't have a magic trackpad for my Mac.

junkmail509

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
Can't get it to work, since the tilda is placed a little different on the danish keyboard. I have tried to remap the shortcut, but havn't got that working either.

There is a thread on StackExchange related to this keyboard shortcut with regard to different languages and keyboard layouts.

This comment may help:
"To ensure you're trying to use the correct shortcut, switch to a Finder window, then look at the Window menu. The shortcut should be listed beside "Cycle Through Windows"--a menu option that doesn't appear in other applications, for some reason. The Apple docs do sometimes list the shortcut as Cmd-~ rather than Cmd-` (which are both on the same key on my UK keyboard, but '~' requires the Shift key), so it may vary between keyboard layouts."​

Karlsruhe

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Music pause. Let's say I listen to music on iTunes or Spotify and someone sends me a youtube video - I click on it and as soon as the audio in the youtube video starts - it pauses the music on iTunes. It is already in iOS, so why not macOS?

Reactions: Jyby and Lunder89

Justaguy48

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
Music pause. Let's say I listen to music on iTunes or Spotify and someone sends me a youtube video - I click on it and as soon as the audio in the youtube video starts - it pauses the music on iTunes. It is already in iOS, so why not macOS?
Yes!

It hasn't crossed my mind, but now that you mention it this is such an annoying thing and (I'd imagine) an easy fix

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London

I don't have a magic trackpad for my Mac.
Use CTRL Down Arrow shortcut then

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Delay 10.13 for a year, use the extra time to fix bugs that still exist in 10.12. I don't need a new OS every year.
It seems like you're the big winner! High Sierra is a giant improvement to Sierra with all the same supported mac models, but improvements to Mail, Photos, Finder, and the Files System!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.