Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdYelland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Now I've used the iPhone for a while on o2 in the UK (no thanks to iPhoneUnlock who took my money and failed to return any calls on their useless incomplete instructions), there are a few things that really pi55 me off with the iPhone. Mostly, it's a great little gadget, but I just don't love it due to some small but annoying quirks.

1. The bloody headset socket. I'm fed up going out having listened to some music to find the iPhone still thinks a headset is plugged in so I can't make / receive calls using just the handset because I can't reset the headset socket first. Apple had 6 months to sort the hardware fault before launching in the UK - why didn't they?

2. The phone randomly makes new calls when you end one - normally to voicemail. It's too easy to start a call to voicemail accidentally when you end one call - the first thing you know is some random voice coming out of your pocket.

3. Why do you have to keep the phone turned on for the alarm clock to work? If I need waking up, it's probably because I'm asleep. So why do I have to keep the phone turned on?

4. Why isn't there a night mode for email so it stops downloaded between certain hours

5. Why is the bluetooth so **** with car kits? This is the most useless phone out there when it comes to bluetooth synchronisation

6. EDGE and o2. EDGE is sloooooooooooow and not available everywhere. o2 is rubbish - loads of dead spots and rubbish sound quality. I moved from Orange where the call quality was crystal clear - now when I phone people they comment on the fact it's hard to hear me.

7. It's too hard to use one handed. Or after a few pints of beer.

8. Why can't you type text messages in landscape view - it's very hard using the keyboard to portrait view - especially after booze (see above)

9. Why can't you adjust the backlight timer?

10. The back is too slippy and too easy to drop - why didn't they put some kind of texture on it?
What annoys you with yours?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
1. The bloody headset socket. I'm fed up going out having listened to some music to find the iPhone still thinks a headset is plugged in so I can't make / receive calls using just the handset because I can't reset the headset socket first. Apple had 6 months to sort the hardware fault before launching in the UK - why didn't they?

I have not heard of this problem. I suggest you call Apple Care and see if they'll replace it.

2. The phone randomly makes new calls when you end one - normally to voicemail. It's too easy to start a call to voicemail accidentally when you end one call - the first thing you know is some random voice coming out of your pocket.

Never had this problem or known anyone with it.

3. Why do you have to keep the phone turned on for the alarm clock to work? If I need waking up, it's probably because I'm asleep. So why do I have to keep the phone turned on?

Most phones work this way. As long as the iPhone is asleep it will still activate. I suggest getting in the habit of charging your iPhone overnight that way it is always charged and your alarm will go off.

4. Why isn't there a night mode for email so it stops downloaded between certain hours

I suggest putting the phone in Vibrate mode at night. Your alarm will still ring with audio, but all other indicators will vibrate.

5. Why is the bluetooth so **** with car kits? This is the most useless phone out there when it comes to bluetooth synchronisation

True. It is mostly because Apple didn't want the iPhone open to BlueTooth viruses.

6. EDGE and o2. EDGE is sloooooooooooow and not available everywhere. o2 is rubbish - loads of dead spots and rubbish sound quality. I moved from Orange where the call quality was crystal clear - now when I phone people they comment on the fact it's hard to hear me.

We have the same problem in some places in the US. In cities it is faster than dial-up, but in rural areas is can be doggrel slow.

Just an observation, but either your hands are two small or two large (j/k). More likely you just aren't quite used to the phone. It took me the better part of 3 months to get the hang of it.

8. Why can't you type text messages in landscape view - it's very hard using the keyboard to portrait view - especially after booze (see above)

Another bad idea by Apple. I feel that every view (save for home) should be available in both views just to facilitate typing.

I found that if the iPhone is powered the backlight will dim after the sleep timer, instead of sleeping.

10. The back is too slippy and too easy to drop - why didn't they put some kind of texture on it?

I suggest buying a case or non-slick cover. However, the back in slightly textured (brushed aluminum) vs the slick (polished aluminum) of the iPod.

It picks up fingerprints on the front too easily.
It gets warm after limited use.
You cannot set a priority list for Wi-Fi networks.
It often thinks that the iPod is playing even if you haven't played anything recently, and there is nothing actually playing.
No Video Recording.
No MMS.
No single main inbox for all mail.
If a smart playlist has a number of plays indicated, and after playing a song it increments outside of the indicated number, it disappears from the playlist, instead of waiting until you sync with iTunes.
No iPod-like interface for Tunes (i.e. no visual scroll wheel to move locations in songs. I listen to a podcast that is often 3 hours long, and if I miss one part and want to go back a few minutes, it is very difficult because the iPhone's location indicator is not very sensitive.)
No interface on TV when connecting iPhone to TV (to use remote and universal dock to change the video to watch.

TEG

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I want buttons on my iPhone. At least a numerical keypad, or a multi-function button. (so I can change tracks / play pause WITHOUT using a Dock with remote or headset - and still not stare at the screen)

Real coverage. GSM/ ATT is pure garbage where I am. I'm about || that far from going back to Verizon. For something named a "phone" - it's probably one of it's weakest links, IMO.
:confused:

Velmonk

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2006
I just got mine but these are some of the reasons I didn't get one right away.

1) Headset jack. WTF? I have a pair of really nice, expensive earbuds that I've used for ages. Now I need to use (and pay for) some ****** adapter to be able to plug them in. Someone please give me one real reason why this is this way.

2) Can't text to multiple people

3) Why can't I drag & drop music like a normal iPod?

4)AT&T. I've had Verizon for ages and I always have better service than most people do.

I could go on but I'm trying to focus on the positives.
Right now I'm trying to figure out why it'll only sync about a third of my contacts from address book.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
Someone please give me one real reason why this is this way.

I heard they did this because there were lots of issues with people breaking the headphones off and leaving the little metal piece inside ipods, so they did this to help prevent that on the phone. There is a really cool thing you can get off ebay to solve the issue for the most part, much better than the one they sell at the apple store. It's about three inches long and once your headphones are plugged in, you can't tell the difference(not a two inch solid piece sticking off of the phone).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130183779877

I haven't bought one yet, but will probably pick one up after the holidays...

things I'm not into:
no audio recording or video for that matter, no MMS(not a big deal, but for those rare times), would like the option to put my phone in certain modes, so say when I go to sleep, the only people who can get through are family/close friends, not any of my drunk friends waking me up for non-emergencys. I miss that feature with my old phone a lot. Also would like some new features for the phone, maybe one game or something to keep me busy when I have no service... Photo uploading would be nice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
First, why is it that people insist on complaining about a device that they KNOW does not perform certain functions?
RTFM!

Now I've used the iPhone for a while on o2 in the UK (no thanks to iPhoneUnlock who took my money and failed to return any calls on their useless incomplete instructions), there are a few things that really pi55 me off with the iPhone. Mostly, it's a great little gadget, but I just don't love it due to some small but annoying quirks.

This is an issue with your phone I think. I've never seen this reported. Call Apple.

I've never experienced this. When a call is answered and the phone is locked it automatically locks again. If I place a call and then end it, I've also never had the issue with a call being placed that I did not intend to place.

Good point and I would expect it would sound when the phone is off.

I believe you can set your mail to check manually. However, unlike my blackberry I can't do an auto-off/on. I do this with my work BB as people e-mail and call from the east coast thinking I live in their time zones. Hate the iPhone because of this? Seems silly.

Very true but I'm sure there is a better reason for this then I can give.
That is o2, don't blame the iPhone for that (edge that is).
However, as for people not being able to hear you. This is the first time I've been given the thumbs up on being hearing me! Even my BB is the worst phone ever but great for everything else.

I use it one-handed 90% of the time unless typing a longer e-mail. Perhaps you should not bother to use it for any other reason than as a phone if you've been drinking. Drunk texting isn't a good idea anyway, trust me.

Umm while we all want landscape view on the keyboard I have to say that your issue is around your drinking and my guess is any feature enhancements to come won't be based on the propensity of the user being drunk.
Dunno...why?
Seriously? The back is too slippy? This clearly isn't the phone for you.
What annoys me with mine? Basically no MMS, no copy and paste, and no ability to text multiple people. However, I knew this when I bought it and failed to start a thread about it because I found out my iPhone would not MMS, copy/paste, or text multiple contacts either!!!

I just got mine but these are some of the reasons I didn't get one right away.

1) Headset jack. WTF? I have a pair of really nice, expensive earbuds that I've used for ages. Now I need to use (and pay for) some ****** adapter to be able to plug them in. Someone please give me one real reason why this is this way.
I was told because there were numerous people who had broken their headphone jack off on other iPods. Funny, this is probably something I had not heard enough but I'm sure Apple did some homework.

2) Can't text to multiple people
Totally agree but I knew this when I bought it and somehow did not expect that I would be the only one who could do it. ;)
3) Why can't I drag & drop music like a normal iPod?
Because it does not support disc mode. Heavily documented that it doesn't. Again I wasn't shocked.
4)AT&T. I've had Verizon for ages and I always have better service than most people do.

I could go on but I'm trying to focus on the positives.
Right now I'm trying to figure out why it'll only sync about a third of my contacts from address book.

Yes Verizon is better but V screwed the deal and AT&T got it. To me a phone is not worth having if it doesn't work. If my coverage area for AT&T were too spotty I would not have bought the iPhone and certainly would not have switched providers for it.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California

Ok... #3... What clock or watch do you have that can be unplugged/ turned off to where it no longer is telling you the time, but will still wake you up with the alarm? My point, it's a phone first so of course the phone needs to be on.

#4 If it is a big deal for your email to be on at night, go into settings and turn the accounts off before you go to bed.

#7 Only at first. I have used it while drunk with no problems.

#8 This may come in the future. However, it has been pointed out that in landscape mode with the keyboard up, very little of the conversation would be seen.

#9 I don't know for sure, but I think if you have the phone set to a longer autolock time it might go longer before dimming the screen.

#10 If you are having a big issue with this, buying a case is your best option.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Let me know when we can post more than 10, and I will return with my list.

LMFAO!
But seriously. The iPhone has serious limitations and prevents certain functions but if you buy an iPhone now you should know full well what those limitations are. For me there are three things but I can certainly live without them forever if need be. The iPhone isn't the best phone and I can list about 5 serious things that are wrong with it but again I knew all this before I bought it.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
LMFAO!
But seriously. The iPhone has serious limitations and prevents certain functions but if you buy an iPhone now you should know full well what those limitations are. For me there are three things but I can certainly live without them forever if need be. The iPhone isn't the best phone and I can list about 5 serious things that are wrong with it but again I knew all this before I bought it.

10 things I hate about my BlackBerry:

10: The interface blows
9: The internet blows
8: It's fatter than my iPhone
7: It's wider than my iPhone
6: Almost everything that I type requires two thumbs
5: When I pull out my BB, people look at me like I am a dick
4: When I reply to an email, it resurrects the original mail to unread status and buzzes me again about 5 mins later
3: No spell checker
2: Moving the cursor around is a major logistical exercise
1: Its screen is a tiny, low-res piece of garbage.

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
Okay...it's not a perfect phone, and there are absolutely some things that need to be updated/fixed at some point. BUT....name ONE phone that does all that the iPhone does as easily/awesomely cool.

I've had mine since launch day. In spite of it's shortcomings, I've never had a phone I love so much. The next year will transform this phone into the most remarkable device ever to grace one's pocket.

1.0.2 and holding!
:cool:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
True. It is mostly because Apple didn't want the iPhone open to BlueTooth viruses.

To be honest, I'd think it's due to Apple not wanting anyone to send songs via bluetooth to other people, etc, considering their strong stance on piracy.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
Look at it this way though. Apple is so damn proud of the iPhone. They are going to constantly work on the phone through software updates to fix a lot of these issues. Most cell phones are outdated so quickly they don't bother to update the phones. They just make new ones.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
There's only one thing I hate about the iPhone and that's the pack of annoying whiners it seems to attract to these forums. If the phone is malfunctioning take it back and have them replace it. End of story.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

well said. Do you go out and buy a car and then moan about features it doesnt have??? Everyone knew what it could and couldn't do. Give it a rest.

latifafa11

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
I agree with your thoughts about Iphone. but i still believe that it is an amazing phone and an advise to you all is to wait until the next ersion of Iphone comes out then buy it.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Ok... #3... What clock or watch do you have that can be unplugged/ turned off to where it no longer is telling you the time, but will still wake you up with the alarm?

My Sony Ericsson K750i (about three years old) does this, as I gather most phones do.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
My Sony Ericsson K750i (about three years old) does this, as I gather most phones do.

I said clock or watch that completely powers off, but will still wake you up with the alarm. I personally am yet to see one. A phone is meant to be powered on when it's features are being used. However, if it is that big of a deal you can turn the iPhone to silent and it will still wake you up without making you hear calls or emails.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I said clock or watch that completely powers off, but will still wake you up with the alarm. I personally am yet to see one. A phone is meant to be powered on when it's features are being used. However, if it is that big of a deal you can turn the iPhone to silent and it will still wake you up without making you hear calls or emails.

The OP is talking about the phone not doing this and you counter by talking about watches, clocks etc??
The fact that the K750i can be completely powered off, but power itself on to activate the alarm, completely undermines your point. The K750i is a phone first, but doesn't need to be on to use some features (well, at least this one).

bennyboi

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
West Coast
wait for sdk

I'll join this list in 3 months. For now, let's wait and see what the sdk provides. If by then there's no iChat, Muuuuuurddeeeerrrrr. muahahahahaha

Edit - And I'm sure someone will make a highly customizable alarm clock with the sdk. I used my ical alarm for this morning (for I was too lazy to get up from couch last night) and it only went off 2x, softly. It should keep going off until I snooze or clear (like treo).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The alarm sounding when the phone's off is one of the things that used to really annoy me about my last phone - I'd turned it off one night and left it downstairs only for it to wake me up in the morning with the alarm going off! If I turn something off, I want it to stay off, not wake up when it feels like it!
I do wish the iPhone had the facility to automatically turn off e-mail / sms notifications on a night though so I didn't have to do it manually every night

bleedinghand

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
HK
Original iPhone was so lack of function, but by hacking it we could get more, and with unpredictable errors.....

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
The OP is talking about the phone not doing this and you counter by talking about watches, clocks etc??
The fact that the K750i can be completely powered off, but power itself on to activate the alarm, completely undermines your point. The K750i is a phone first, but doesn't need to be on to use some features (well, at least this one).

My point... buy something for what it is. A cell phone is a cell phone, buy it to be used as that. If you want an alarm clock that is better than the iPhone, go buy one. If you can't buy a clock that works when turned off, why should you complain about having a phone that doesn't have an alarm clock that works when the phone is off?

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
My point... buy something for what it is. A cell phone is a cell phone, buy it to be used as that. If you want an alarm clock that is better than the iPhone, go buy one. If you can't buy a clock that works when turned off, why should you complain about having a phone that doesn't have an alarm clock that works when the phone is off?

Because other phones have that feature. He's not comparing the phone to an alarm clock, he's comparing it to other phones by means of functionality.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
My only complaint is that the iphone's speakers are not loud enough. I work in a loud environment and sometimes I miss calls because I did not here the phone ring.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.