Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
10 things I hate about my BlackBerry:

10: The interface blows
9: The internet blows
8: It's fatter than my iPhone
7: It's wider than my iPhone
6: Almost everything that I type requires two thumbs
5: When I pull out my BB, people look at me like I am a dick
4: When I reply to an email, it resurrects the original mail to unread status and buzzes me again about 5 mins later
3: No spell checker
2: Moving the cursor around is a major logistical exercise
1: Its screen is a tiny, low-res piece of garbage.

Thank you! People have gone out and gotten the iPhone and now they are complaining that there are limitations. Yes there are limitations but when I looked at other phones that would get me connected to the world I chose the iPhone due to the fact that it has the best browser I have seen on any phone thus far it has a great display and the touch screen is easy to use. Plus there is a spell checker, which is nice.

I am waiting for the SDK because it will be nice to see more software for the iPhone and it will be nice to see what Apple brings us with the iPhone; however, for now I know I have a better phone than the BlackBerry or Palm Treo and I am very happy about that.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Well, I don't have one so here's my list of "Things I can't believe about the iPhone."

1. No SMS to multiple contacts.
2. No "Manually manage songs and videos" - neither the iPod touch nor the iPhone support disk mode but the iPod touch has this functionality whilst the phone does not.
3. No MMS.
4. Landscape keyboard view not in every app.
5. No copy/paste.

All of the above can be fixed with a software update but considering how basic a function No. 1 is I am shocked that after 6 months it's still not there - it should've been in from the start.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
If you want to use the iPhone as an alarm but still conserve power and prevent unwanted calls and email, set it to airplane mode.

perecita007

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
my top 10

10. camera s*cks
9. Ringtones s*ck
8. SMS blows cause you can't delete messages alone. You have to clear the whole conversation.
7. Alarm clock doesnt go off when the phone is off.
6. Cant turn down the volume of some features, like camera shutter and text messaging.
5. No MMS, wtf?
4. No video recording, wtf?
3. No conversation/voice recording, wtf?
2. No 3G, wtf?
1. Absolutely hate keyboard. I hate it when it tries to guess what I want to type in! I speak about 4 different languages and when Im trying to text in italian or spanish i end up with something that doesnt make any sense and / or get frustrated correcting each word that I just give up...
0. Can't change phones by simply inserting sim chip. What if I want to go back to my old phone? Do i have to call att and deactivate iphone and reactivate sim chip? That blows!
For such and expensive and sofisticated phone I was expecting more.

hippietim

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
  1. Safari crashes A LOT - the funny thing is it crashes more when I surf around http://apple.com/iphone than anywhere else - Internet Explorer never crashes this much and when it does it is 70% Flash and 29% Acrobat
  2. How about letting me sync on more than one PC? The Windows Mobile phones do this very well. I've always hated this limitation with the iPod and it sucks worse with the iPhone because I'd like to be able to sync my contacts and calendar at work and at home (as well as music but that is a lower priority).
  3. No WMA support. It's one thing to lock this out of your basic player but when you're surfing sites that only have WMA this really sucks.
  4. iTunes - it's slow and clunky. I've always considered it a necessary evil with my iPod - it's a drag to have it be part of my phone experience (although it's far less obnoxious than ActiveSync).
  5. Safari has a really bizarre desire to refresh already loaded pages when I switch away and then back after some undetermined period of time - this is really lame!!!
  6. Safari - I would love a feature to open a link in a new tab/window - similar to right click New Tab/Window in Internet Explorer
  7. Copy/Paste - I miss having this a great deal
  8. No native support for Hotmail - the mobile.live.com site works but the normal Hotmail site has cookie problems with Safari
  9. Mail - give me a button to check the mail in all folders (and ideally all accounts)
  10. I just spent $400 on a phone - don't nickel and dime me for a ringtone for a song I already have (yes, I know there are hackolutions but that's just lame)
  11. Flash support in Safari would be really nice to have
  12. Java support - as much as I hate Java, there are sites that use it that I frequent

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
  1. Safari crashes A LOT - the funny thing is it crashes more when I surf around http://apple.com/iphone than anywhere else - Internet Explorer never crashes this much and when it does it is 70% Flash and 29% Acrobat
  2. How about letting me sync on more than one PC? The Windows Mobile phones do this very well. I've always hated this limitation with the iPod and it sucks worse with the iPhone because I'd like to be able to sync my contacts and calendar at work and at home (as well as music but that is a lower priority).
  3. No WMA support. It's one thing to lock this out of your basic player but when you're surfing sites that only have WMA this really sucks.
  4. iTunes - it's slow and clunky. I've always considered it a necessary evil with my iPod - it's a drag to have it be part of my phone experience (although it's far less obnoxious than ActiveSync).
  5. Safari has a really bizarre desire to refresh already loaded pages when I switch away and then back after some undetermined period of time - this is really lame!!!
  6. Safari - I would love a feature to open a link in a new tab/window - similar to right click New Tab/Window in Internet Explorer
  7. Copy/Paste - I miss having this a great deal
  8. No native support for Hotmail - the mobile.live.com site works but the normal Hotmail site has cookie problems with Safari
  9. Mail - give me a button to check the mail in all folders (and ideally all accounts)
  10. I just spent $400 on a phone - don't nickel and dime me for a ringtone for a song I already have (yes, I know there are hackolutions but that's just lame)
  11. Flash support in Safari would be really nice to have
  12. Java support - as much as I hate Java, there are sites that use it that I frequent

Ok, I've just got to critique this list, some of them are just outrageous.
1. IE on your PC doesn't crash as much? Duh, it's not a phone. I've never seen/heard of a phone that does the internet as well as the iPhone.
2. Ok, somewhat. WM phones don't sync natively with Macs at all so it's certainly a step up.
3. I'll give you this one, but not that many sites use WMA only, and Apple never includes functionality for WMA.
4. iTunes is the best music management software out there, and I think most people would agree with me. On my Mac it's far better to sync with than Missing Sync for WM.
5. There is a bookmarklet on the Web Apps site that does this.
6. Copy/Paste- Sorely needed and certainly coming.
7. There are already documented ways to set-up Hotmail accounts through the Gmail settting.
8. Yes. Though on mine it seems to check for all accounts when I tap the Mail icon.
9. You can easily make ringtones using Garageband. The combines mp3 ringtones and custom functionality, what more could you want?
10.Flash support would be nice, and I'm sure we'll get it soon, but it will slow down the browser with all the ads.
11.Java support is less likely, it's quite processor intensive so it would slow down the browser.

hippietim

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
Ok, I've just got to critique this list, some of them are just outrageous.

Why would you critique my list? I simply stated my issues with the iPhone. What's outrageous?

1. IE on your PC doesn't crash as much? Duh, it's not a phone. I've never seen/heard of a phone that does the internet as well as the iPhone.

What does a PC vs. a phone have to do with software reliability? Nothing. Buggy software is buggy software. The iPhone certainly does the Interent better than any other phone but Opera and Pocket IE are both more stabile browsers. So the iPhone gets big points for a sweet browsing experience but the frequent crashes detract from the overall experience.

2. Ok, somewhat. WM phones don't sync natively with Macs at all so it's certainly a step up.

The issue isn't Mac vs. PC per se, it's that the iPod/iPhone/iTunes has this stupid 1:1 mapping. The inability to sync with multiple PCs/Macs is a pretty weak limitation.

3. I'll give you this one, but not that many sites use WMA only, and Apple never includes functionality for WMA.

A lot of sites use WMA only. Or Real. Neither of which are supported. Apple's lack of support for an extremely popular media format is silly. Reminds me of Sony.

4. iTunes is the best music management software out there, and I think most people would agree with me. On my Mac it's far better to sync with than Missing Sync for WM.

I prefer Windows Media Player - it is more powerful/flexible and is substantially faster with my 80GB library of music. iTunes crawls.

5. There is a bookmarklet on the Web Apps site that does this.

Thanks - I'll have to look for that.

6. Copy/Paste- Sorely needed and certainly coming.

Has Apple confirmed this?

7. There are already documented ways to set-up Hotmail accounts through the Gmail settting.

Really? That's cool. I'll have to investigate that. Thanks for the tip.

8. Yes. Though on mine it seems to check for all accounts when I tap the Mail icon.

I've seen it do it a few times. It seems non deterministic.

9. You can easily make ringtones using Garageband. The combines mp3 ringtones and custom functionality, what more could you want?

I don't have a Mac so Garageband isn't an option.

11.Java support is less likely, it's quite processor intensive so it would slow down the browser.

It won't slow down the browser unless you use it. Java is not *that* CPU intensive anyhow.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Well, I don't have one so here's my list of "Things I can't believe about the iPhone."

1. No SMS to multiple contacts.
2. No "Manually manage songs and videos" - neither the iPod touch nor the iPhone support disk mode but the iPod touch has this functionality whilst the phone does not.
3. No MMS.
4. Landscape keyboard view not in every app.
5. No copy/paste.

All of the above can be fixed with a software update but considering how basic a function No. 1 is I am shocked that after 6 months it's still not there - it should've been in from the start.

Let me give you a hand:

6. The keyboard isn't as easy to learn as some may believe. I have typed on it fine, but it's far more annoying to use than any other phone I have set my hands on. Tactile keys please, or a body design like the LG Voyager that has a fold out REAL keyboard.
7. No insurance provided by AT&T, so the phone is a disaster waiting to happen if you are carrying it with you.
8. EDGE sucks, and I can't understand why Apple didn't go to Sprint second instead of AT&T.
9. Where is the iWork Mobile? It shouldn't be that hard Apple. :mad:
10. Where is the phone as modem? WTF!
11. The back could use some kind of texture, like the Palm 755p.
12. Why should I buy the phone now, and wait for firmware to make it as good as some phones half the price?
13. Can't use songs as ringtones....?
14. Sorry, we should be able to use this thing in a disk mode.
15. The Alarm thing should have been a no brainer.

I can make it bigger, but I have to think really hard on the next few.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Why would you critique my list? I simply stated my issues with the iPhone. What's outrageous?

A lot of sites use WMA only. Or Real. Neither of which are supported. Apple's lack of support for an extremely popular media format is silly. Reminds me of Sony.

It's not a function of Apple not supporting these formats - they are not standard formats. Proprietary formats like WMA and Real etc need to be licensed from their owner - the owner must be willing to license the formats to Apple which neither Real or MS are going to do anytime soon.

SCLegacyPhD

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
iPhone update insufficient & gender biased

I want an iPhone with Stylus!!! My husband LOVES his iPhone, but with fingernails, I find it frustratingly difficult to use the keypad. I have an older iPAQ to use for minor online functions, & I don't even need to use it's stylus: just tap with fingernail & it's gold!

So, when my cellphone broke last week, I waited - patiently, G*D**IT! - wishing & hoping that Apple in it's infinite goodness & wisdom would just open up a stylus option when they made the big announcement of 2.0 & 3G today. NO LUCK! :(

Considering ergonomics & user testing studies indicated men & women use their fingers/nails differently Over TEN YEARS AGO, why does Apple persist in this misogyny?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.