Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Re: Re: Interesting

Originally posted by Le Big Mac
The fact that the 10gb model is EOL doesn't mean there won't be a 10gb model, does it? It appears that Apple is going to make significant revisions to the iPods, which is why they aren't just rolling out new ones to replace the old ones. It still makes sense to have a 5, 10, and 20, and maybe a 40, at different price levels. Entry level up to music hound. The iPod would be helped by having an even more affordable bottom-of-the-line.
MmMmmm... Microphone.. MmMmm.... FM Transmitter... MmMmm...

ebow

macrumors 6502a
That Cyberport URL didn't work for me, and because of whatever awful backend they're using to run their shop, you can't run any of it through Google Language Tools nor Babelfish.

The URL for the site is http://www.cyberport.de/webshop/ -- just search for "iPod". You won't really learn anything, though. The 15 May reference translates as "presumably available" so it's likely they don't know anything too specific.

RLB

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Interestingly, the Soho Apple store has no windows ipods in stock. They have been out for a couple of days. This is not to say that they are not getting more but supplies are definately low.

AngusB

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
Could be bigger though...

Of course, we could be ready to see 20GB, 40GB, and 60GB as the three IPod models...

Ummmm.....20GB Ipod for 299.00....

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
okay, i have been waiting since right before MWSF, and i am still waiting. come on, apple. we all want some updates.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by Hozie
Just FYI ''Ceci n'a rien d'une rumeur' DOES NOT MEAN 'this is no more than a rumor'. It means 'this is NOT a rumor', as in `we're sure of it'. Take it from a native French speaker...

Yeah, sorry about that, I caught it once you pointed it out. That phrase did seem a little off to me... thanks for the correction.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Re: And for more fuel

Originally posted by AngusB
Check out this article on 60GB Toshiba drives...dated Oct 2002

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123312,00.html

Angus

This isn't the type of drive used in the iPod. If I remember correctly, Apple uses the 1.8" drive format. That's what makes the iPod so light and small. Archos' MP3 players use the 9.5mm high 2.5" laptop drives (which are now up to 80GB, FYI).

--DT

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Originally posted by BillyShears
Yeah, sorry about that, I caught it once you pointed it out. That phrase did seem a little off to me... thanks for the correction.

Billy, just to prevent future confusion, can you edit the translation in your original post? -- for those who don't read the whole page... Thanks.

crushrus

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
Not sure if any of you have been looking into the emerging mp3 player market, but there are starting to be some really good alternatives.
archos has a 20 gig that plays mpeg4 video (in color) is a picture viewer, has audio in and a port to connect either a digital camera lens, or a media dock (to upload smart cards etc) all for $339msrp, which means as low as $250.
there is also another model unveiled recevently (the name escapes me) that is about the same size as the ipod, but has full color touch screen and a whole host of just about every option you could ever ask for. it's slated to release later this year.
my point?
apple needs to step up. they've been lucky that no one else has produced another decent looking mp3 player, because at their inflated prices they wont be able to rely on looks alone for very much longer.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Looks are only part of iPod.
As much as it's appearance bests that "Buzz Lightyear's Backpack" from Archos, it is function and ease of use that still separates the 'Pod from the 'Pack. There are still no alternatives I've seen, to fit my needs.
I ordered one right after His Steveness announced them and I realized that it had all the features I wanted. I've been as impressed with it as I was when I saw the first Walkman. I bought two of them on the spot, no small feat on a sailor's pay in 1980. I take my tunes seriously, one of the the main reasons I joined the Navy was to get a stereo in Japan...

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
One thing I just noticed was that the estimated ship times on apple.com for both the 10 and 20 gig models have gone from 1-2 days as of Thursday (I checked when this was 1st posted) to 3-5 days on Friday. A Tuesday release might be the reason for the shipping delay. *cross fingers*

physicsnerd

etype

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
Ordered a 10GB iPod last month. Order status says it's shipping "On of before 4/22/2003".

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: iPods back in stock

Originally posted by Cryocon
Here in London, UK, a lot of retailers have started to get iPods back in stock. I went to a shop yesterday and they had recieved a couple of hundred that morning. These were 10Gb and 20Gb, Mac and PC versions, and are still the same price as before.
I am waiting for new iPods. However, the UK apple store says that the shipping times for 10Gb iPods is only 1-3 days.

crushrus

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
Originally posted by zac4mac
I take my tunes seriously, one of the the main reasons I joined the Navy was to get a stereo in Japan...

was america all out of them or something?
:D

my point was simply that many other companies are coming out with cheaper, more functional models and if apple hopes to hold its market share, they need to update the ipod soon.

RLB

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Pretend to buy one until you get to the page where it tells you when it is shipping. Then remove it from your order.

Snorlax

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by RLB
Pretend to buy one until you get to the page where it tells you when it is shipping. Then remove it from your order.

Ok, here in Sweden the shipping time is 1-3 days... porhaps they haven't updated yet..

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The fact that people are saying that the 10GB is gone, plus the 5GB is out of stock at a lot of places means one thing to me: new product. Completely new, mind you. Apple doesn't usually make things cheaper without a reason, and not even resellers would give away a 10GB iPod for an extra $50 when you purchase Applecare unless they knew of something coming up. It's got to be huge.

Not to start this stupid conversation again, but they're probably going to add one or more of the features that you've all been waiting for (line-in, voice recorder), as well as a nicer display. They need to stay ahead of the pack, because like Crushrus said, there are many cheaper alternatives that are possibly as good as the iPod, or are simply better value-for-money than the iPod. I considered buying an Archos machine because it was 40% cheaper than a 5GB iPod. There is no way I would purchase an iPod unless there was a reason to pay the extra $200 dollars (Canadian $$$).

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
That, or make the 20 gig version the base model... which isn't going to happen. Completely new... hmmm....

Oh, they're coming tomorrow, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.