Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmmwhat

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks and sorry dumb question but what happens with the apple watch if you reset settings? Do you have to redo settings on the watch apl again?

Previously, when I erased all settings and content, my watch kinda just figured everything out once I restored from the backup.

Resetting just the settings, though, I had to go back into the watch settings (via both watch/phone, depending on the setting) and re-set up location services, Siri, notifications, etc. The two devices remained connected so it was only a minor hassle to set up the specific settings again. All of the actual data (activity, apps, etc) stayed the same.

Reactions: metsjetsfan

MikeSny

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Unless you need to take photos in the next 2 days waiting to see if the update fixes maybe a good idea

Yeah I’m planning on waiting another week or so before I factory reset the phone. I’ve got a trip planned in 3 weeks that I could really use my camera for. I had to dust off my old digital camera as another backup lol.

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks and sorry dumb question but what happens with the apple watch if you reset settings? Do you have to redo settings on the watch apl again?

Yes, you need to set up everything again. I couldn't restore from an earlier watch backup since it messed up the pairing again. I even had to recreate my watch faces and so on, it was basically like taking the watch out of the box and starting from scratch...

Reactions: metsjetsfan

Joebone

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017
Hilton Head island
Tried Microsoft Pix camera app. I can't tell if it's perfect but the images look focused. When I switch back to the Apple camera app it's still broken.

Last edited:

MikeSny

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Update: I downloaded 11.1.2 to my Mac, it allowed me to upgrade to keep data. Camera issues still occurred after going from 11.2 to 11.1.2 with Data.

Domadia_Jasmine

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2017
So, I was able to fix this issue on my iPhone X (no case involved) by the following:

1) turn ON live photos, tap to focus
2) settings>general>reset>reset all settings

I'm not sure if #1 is necessary, but these are the steps I was following by a poster in another thread and I believe my phone is focusing normally again. I've since disabled live photos and everything still seems to be in order.

Before this, I never had issues taking macro shots, it was only the further-away shots with the wide angle lens. Something about the settings I had (which caused no issue when I downgraded to 11.1.2) were limiting my phones ability to focus to infinity on 11.2.

While it's still kind of annoying to have to reinstate all of the settings, it's certainly less cumbersome than setting up as a new phone on 11.2 or downgrading/remaining on 11.1.2.

I realize that this thread is a bit conflating with the magnet/case issue, but resetting all settings (NOT all content and settings) seemed to resolve my problems, which did NOT have anything to do with a case as my phone's always been naked.

Just passing this along in case it helps somebody else.

Thanks, after reading this I suggested my son with iPhone 8 to reset all settings & fixed his camera focus issue.Great help, Thanks again.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Yes, you need to set up everything again. I couldn't restore from an earlier watch backup since it messed up the pairing again. I even had to recreate my watch faces and so on, it was basically like taking the watch out of the box and starting from scratch...
Thanks sounds like I should unpair - automatically makes a backup. Then repair and restor from that backup

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
rest all settings worked for me. was kind of a pain about 15-20 minutes worth or doing settings all over. hopefully a fix still comes out

carloslxf

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
Hey huys!

I recently bought an iPhone 8 and noticed that some photos are a little grainy and lack the quality I got from my previous iphone 6S. Here's two photos:

Could it be something related to iOS 11.2?

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
They totally knew this was going to be a big thing and snuck it in with the 11.2.1 update.

My camera works per usual now. Didn't reset any settings or do any gimmicky tricks either.
[doublepost=1513203971][/doublepost]
Hey huys!

I recently bought an iPhone 8 and noticed that some photos are a little grainy and lack the quality I got from my previous iphone 6S. Here's two photos:

Could it be something related to iOS 11.2?

These pics are standard and look fine. BUT, 11.2.1 does update the autofocus issue IF you had it.

MikeSny

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Found out my 6splus was hardware related. Really sucks because the phone works great otherwise and I’m not ready to drop $800-$1000 for a phone or have a recurring monthly phone payment. I think I have the known 6s camera shake but I don’t qualify for the replacement.

Flattliner

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
Looks like 11.2.1 has totally cured my iPhone 8's focus issues with my case magnets - now focuses perfectly.

Would be nice if Apple actually admitted their ****-ups more often...

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'm glad to say this update has fixed my iP8+ camera focus issue. Thanks Apple, if you'll just replace my damaged case we'll be evens ;)

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
I had this issue. Although mine was caused by a magnet in the phone case too close too the OIS. I cut the case (as its for work only) and removed the magnet and my camera works perfectly. I’m running 11.2. Before it use to focus and refocus and zoom in and out very quickly, and you could see the OIS working and moving around. I can’t say I’ve had a software related issue however.

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
I had this issue. Although mine was caused by a magnet in the phone case too close too the OIS. I cut the case (as its for work only) and removed the magnet and my camera works perfectly. I’m running 11.2. Before it use to focus and refocus and zoom in and out very quickly, and you could see the OIS working and moving around. I can’t say I’ve had a software related issue however.
Mine was doing that too, wasn't on 11.1.2 but it's now fixed on 11.2.1.

Reactions: lelisa13p

nowhoney

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
I’ve just updated and my phone’s still having the focus issue (iPhone 7).

Not ideal at all, as it’s only sightly out of warranty and I don’t feel it’s fair to pay for a replacement phone.

SharonGP

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2018
The case magnets were my problem too. I took my wallet case off and after a few minutes everything was fine. I had the problem with quality pictures and also my portrait mode. Taking the wallet case with the magnet off my phone completely fixed it. I'm so happy I found this thread and didn't commence with a factory reset. I had already tried resetting the settings which didn't work. Finally this dogs...thank you

Reactions: madmin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.