Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
Hello there, was wondering if anyone have this issue too, when on iOS 11.2 the camera isnt able to get in focus, the lense just go back and forth indefinetly. Restored back to 11.1.2 and the issue is gone, updated back as new iPhone on 11.2 issue is there. So this looks like a software problem. Anybody with the same problem?

Reactions: NunyoBidnett

anwarcnl

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Hello there, was wondering if anyone have this issue too, when on iOS 11.2 the camera isnt able to get in focus, the lense just go back and forth indefinetly. Restored back to 11.1.2 and the issue is gone, updated back as new iPhone on 11.2 issue is there. So this looks like a software problem. Anybody with the same problem?
[doublepost=1512245599][/doublepost]im having the same issue with my iPhone X but its not even trying to focus.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Yes, same thing happening on my 8.

A user said he rolled back and then reinstalled 11.2 and it’s only happening on 11.2.

This iOS release. Just wow.

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
For the beginning, try Hard Reset, Volume plus, Volume minus and than press and hold Sleep/Wake button till you see apple on display.

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
Backup and restore your iPhone. Set it up as new. If the issue is still present, take it to the Apple Store.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Tried reset and nothing changed.
From what I've gathered, it seems related to 11.2 and not a hardware problem. One person can constantly fix the issue by returning to 11.1.2, and the issue immediately resurfaces when updating again to 11.2. Either downgrade, wait for an update, or hope that it somehow fixes itself over time. One other poster said that they had this issue on their X, but then all of a sudden it started working properly.

Tumbolwede57

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
From what I've gathered, it seems related to 11.2 and not a hardware problem. One person can constantly fix the issue by returning to 11.1.2, and the issue immediately resurfaces when updating again to 11.2. Either downgrade, wait for an update, or hope that it somehow fixes itself over time. One other poster said that they had this issue on their X, but then all of a sudden it started working properly.
how do I return to 11.1.2?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
how do I return to 11.1.2?
You'll need to download the 11.1.2 ipsw file for your device (google search should find it for you). Then use iTunes to restore your device to 11.1.2 by holding option (Mac) or shift (PC) and clicking Restore. This will allow you to choose the 11.1.2 IPSW file that you already downloaded for the restore. Of course, make sure you backup your device to your computer and/or iCloud first.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'm having the same problem with the iPh8 since upgrading to iOS 11.2. I've tried playing around with camera settings, rebooting and using different camera apps. I see the same issue everywhere expect Apple's Portrait mode.

This update has rendered unusable my main reason for buying this particular phone, so consider me unhappy and impatient for a fix.

[Edit] sorry I just re-read my post and realised I entered iPh8 when I meant to write iP8+

Last edited:
Reactions: jkula

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I'm having the same problem with the iPh8 since upgrading to iOS 11.2. I've tried playing around with camera settings, rebooting and using different camera apps. I see the same issue everywhere expect Apple's Portrait mode.

This update has rendered unusable my main reason for buying this particular phone, so consider me unhappy and impatient for a fix.

exactly. This is hilarious in a horrific way. We've been waiting months for fixes to the horrible release that is iOS 11 and instead one of the main updates, 11.2, RUINS something new for us we use all the time with these phones.

Reactions: madmin

jkula

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
I concur, iPhone 8 iOS 11.2

Mikemx3

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
Chicago
I had the same problem on my 8 plus. Rolling back to 11.1.2 resolved the issue. I’m guessing we will see an update to fix this problem sooner than later.

Last edited:

Mikemx3

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
Chicago
I had the same problem on my 8 plus. Rolling back to 11.1.2 resolved the issue.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Hopefully it will be included in the next weekly update.

At this rate they will need updates more than once a week.

NickRT

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
[doublepost=1512245599][/doublepost]im having the same issue with my iPhone X but its not even trying to focus.
I have the same issue on iPhone X. I have found that if I remove the slim case the focus works, put it back and it is blurred again. It was all fine prior to this update. I have tried all the standard reset/close apps/etc. I don’t dare to have the phone without a case, just too expensive if it gets dropped. I wish  would actually test their software before a release.

Reactions: madmin

Mr. Bulb

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
London
Hi Everyone. Newbie here but not new to Apple issues!

Along with other iPhone 8, 8 plus and x users.

Since updating iOS to 11.2 on my iPhone 8 Plus, on it’s release, my camera lens focus acted in the same way. Not focusing and intermittently parsing in and out.

I did the obvious, restart and googled for any info. Restart made no difference. Google search brought me to this forum which seems to confirm an iOS issue.

I contacted Apple Support on Sunday evening last. They did a remote diagnostic test, which showed no issues. Although I mentioned to them that this appears to be a developing problem now showing up on forums, since the iOS update to 11.2. Apple were not convinced it was a software issue and advised me to take my phone to an Apple store to replace!

I visited Apple Store, told them the issue and also that other people were experiencing same. They had me reset my iPhone to reinstall fresh software and on latest iOS 11.2. Guess what, no change in camera lens focus. Still defective.

They did offer to repair the iPhones camera! No way!

Firstly as I pointed out, I believe, along with you guys, that this is an iOS 11.2 issue. Apple insisted not.

Secondly, my iPhone 8 Plus was only two month old from new purchase.

A word to the wise people know your consumer rights! Apple said they could only offer to repair, which would mean I would end up with what I would consider a reconditioned iPhone.

Consumer laws gives us the right to insist on a brand new replacement if goods are proven defective within the first year guarantee. Too many people are being pushed into this lame excuse that an offer of repair is the policy. This is not the case. Because I was insistent on my consumer rights, Apple gave me a brand new iPhone 8 Plus replacement.

LATEST: back home setting up the new replacement. I notice it was running previous iOS 11.1. I checked camera lens, everything ok as it should be.

Howeve, as Apple insist it is not a iOS 11.2 issue, I am now updating the software to 11.2.

If the issue returns on this new replacement iPhone 8 Plus, that would surely suffice to prove that it is indeed an iOS 11.2 issue. I will update you with latest progress soon.

If the problem does return, so will this iPhone, back to the Apple store! Yes, I could get them to revert software back to 11.1, but I need them to identify the cause of this growing problem and explain to us how it will be resolved.

Watch this space.

Earth45

Suspended
Nov 29, 2017
Interesting that some of you are having this issue but I to am on 11.2, and my focus thus far does not have issues. Wonder why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.