Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
When i updated my iPhone 8 Plus to 11.2 from 11.1.2 I used iTunes then restored everything. I think it downloaded the whole version then updated. I don't seem to have this focus issue that people are experiencing.

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
When i updated my iPhone 8 Plus to 11.2 from 11.1.2 I used iTunes then restored everything. I think it downloaded the whole version then updated. I don't seem to have this focus issue that people are experiencing.
Did the same thing restored with itunes to 11.1.2 then updated again with itunes on iOS 11.2 and set up the phone without any backup restore and the focus issue was still there.

Mr. Bulb

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
London
Hi Everyone. Newbie here but not new to Apple issues!

Along with other iPhone 8, 8 plus and x users.

Since updating iOS to 11.2 on my iPhone 8 Plus, on it’s release, my camera lens focus acted in the same way. Not focusing and intermittently parsing in and out.

I did the obvious, restart and googled for any info. Restart made no difference. Google search brought me to this forum which seems to confirm an iOS issue.

I contacted Apple Support on Sunday evening last. They did a remote diagnostic test, which showed no issues. Although I mentioned to them that this appears to be a developing problem now showing up on forums, since the iOS update to 11.2. Apple were not convinced it was a software issue and advised me to take my phone to an Apple store to replace!

I visited Apple Store, told them the issue and also that other people were experiencing same. They had me reset my iPhone to reinstall fresh software and on latest iOS 11.2. Guess what, no change in camera lens focus. Still defective.

They did offer to repair the iPhones camera! No way!

Firstly as I pointed out, I believe, along with you guys, that this is an iOS 11.2 issue. Apple insisted not.

Secondly, my iPhone 8 Plus was only two month old from new purchase.

A word to the wise people know your consumer rights! Apple said they could only offer to repair, which would mean I would end up with what I would consider a reconditioned iPhone.

Consumer laws gives us the right to insist on a brand new replacement if goods are proven defective within the first year guarantee. Too many people are being pushed into this lame excuse that an offer of repair is the policy. This is not the case. Because I was insistent on my consumer rights, Apple gave me a brand new iPhone 8 Plus replacement.

LATEST: back home setting up the new replacement. I notice it was running previous iOS 11.1. I checked camera lens, everything ok as it should be.

Howeve, as Apple insist it is not a iOS 11.2 issue, I am now updating the software to 11.2.

If the issue returns on this new replacement iPhone 8 Plus, that would surely suffice to prove that it is indeed an iOS 11.2 issue. I will update you with latest progress soon.

If the problem does return, so will this iPhone, back to the Apple store! Yes, I could get them to revert software back to 11.1, but I need them to identify the cause of this growing problem and explain to us how it will be resolved.

Watch this space.
UPDATE

Well that’s a turn up for the books. Updated brand new replacement iPhone 8 Plus and updated to iOS 11.2. Camera working as it should be, perfect!

So what does this mean? Have Apple just corrected the iOS 11.2 as I was upgrading? If not, as this new phone is working with latest iOS 11.2, then it wasn’t a software issue. Was it a hardware issue? If so, do others users have to follow my lead and return their affected iPhones for replacement? If it is a developing defect in the camera itself, the iPhones must be replaced.

As the iPhone 8, 8 plus and X are new iPhones, I would insist on a brand new replacement. Don’t let them open up your expensive iPhone to be used as a guinea pig! Unless Apple can identify the problem and put it right without opening up your iPhone, I would seriously demand a replacement that works as it should.

Curious that this growing problem with camera focus, doesn’t affect all latest iPhone users who have updated to iOS 11.2. Clearly there is a problem out there. I wonder if it is a defect in the camera that is gradually deteriorating with use?

If you have to return your iPhone, know your Consumer rights, remember that a repair is if an item has been damaged.

A defect, wether immediate or over time in it’s infancy, warrants a brand new replacement under warranty.

I hope we all get to the bottom of this.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Yeah I went from iOS 11.1.2 to 11.2 using iTunes (12.7.1.14) on Saturday and have the focus issue on my iP8+, the camera seems to be unusable in any app. I had tried most things short of restoring from backup or downgrading to no avail.

Then hearing of others experiences with this, I decided to try without the case and bingo, the problem disappeared ! I put my iP8+ back in it's case and the problem came back. Of course, this case wasn't an issue until I upgraded to 11.2. The camera hole seems plenty large enough, although it was sold as being a case for an iP7+. I guess iOS 11.2 makes the camera more sensitive in someway. It's a shame, I really like this case but at least I can take photos again.
[doublepost=1512399855][/doublepost]I can't remember the name of the case that caused my camera focus issue but it looks like this.
IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2632.jpg
IMG_2631.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Bulb

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
London
Yeah I went from iOS 11.1.2 to 11.2 using iTunes (12.7.1.14) on Saturday and have the focus issue on my iP8+, the camera seems to be unusable in any app. I had tried most things short of restoring from backup or downgrading to no avail.

Then hearing of others experiences with this, I decided to try without the case and bingo, the problem disappeared ! I put my iP8+ back in it's case and the problem came back. Of course, this case wasn't an issue until I upgraded to 11.2. The camera hole seems plenty large enough, although it was sold as being a case for an iP7+. I guess iOS 11.2 makes the camera more sensitive in someway. It's a shame, I really like this case but at least I can take photos again.
[doublepost=1512399855][/doublepost]I can't remember the name of the case that caused my camera focus issue but it looks like this. View attachment 740156 View attachment 740157 View attachment 740158
That’s interesting. I have a similar case. Haven’t put it on the new replacement iPhone 8 Plus yet. Still waiting for it to finish back up restore. I’m curious now if the camera issue could return when I put the case back on. Will let you know.

UweP

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
I have the same issue on iPhone X. I have found that if I remove the slim case the focus works, put it back and it is blurred again. It was all fine prior to this update. I have tried all the standard reset/close apps/etc. I don’t dare to have the phone without a case, just too expensive if it gets dropped. I wish  would actually test their software before a release.
Mine too, IPhone X, 11.2
the issue only exists if the iphone is in the case

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
UPDATE

Well that’s a turn up for the books. Updated brand new replacement iPhone 8 Plus and updated to iOS 11.2. Camera working as it should be, perfect!

So what does this mean? Have Apple just corrected the iOS 11.2 as I was upgrading? If not, as this new phone is working with latest iOS 11.2, then it wasn’t a software issue. Was it a hardware issue? If so, do others users have to follow my lead and return their affected iPhones for replacement? If it is a developing defect in the camera itself, the iPhones must be replaced.

As the iPhone 8, 8 plus and X are new iPhones, I would insist on a brand new replacement. Don’t let them open up your expensive iPhone to be used as a guinea pig! Unless Apple can identify the problem and put it right without opening up your iPhone, I would seriously demand a replacement that works as it should.

Curious that this growing problem with camera focus, doesn’t affect all latest iPhone users who have updated to iOS 11.2. Clearly there is a problem out there. I wonder if it is a defect in the camera that is gradually deteriorating with use?

If you have to return your iPhone, know your Consumer rights, remember that a repair is if an item has been damaged.

A defect, wether immediate or over time in it’s infancy, warrants a brand new replacement under warranty.

I hope we all get to the bottom of this.
Well it's not a deteriorating problem since going back to iOS 11.1.2 resolve the issue.

Frobius

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Something to do with the magnet in the case lid that locks the phone? Do iPhones have that functionality like the iPads do?

Reactions: Flattliner

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'd advise not to take a Swiss army knife to the camera hole in your case to make it bigger, I tried and it made no difference.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Interesting that some of you are having this issue but I to am on 11.2, and my focus thus far does not have issues. Wonder why?

Because there are little bugs that probably interact with different apps download and settings on certain phones and such.

Or perhaps you haven't tried to autofocus yet on further objects, because mine seems to work when something is up really close, but as it get further away the focus just doesn't happen on anything.

Flattliner

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
Me too - iPhone 8 in a lovely slimline Kavaj case which works fine with wireless charging and up until 11.2, with the camera also.

How can a software update do this? Bad enough that since iOS 11 my 3rd party camera apps can't shoot RAW when the flash is enabled...

Mikemx3

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
Chicago
Ok, I removed the case and again downloaded iOS 11.2 and I do not have any focus issues that I experienced previously. Might be a good idea to identify what brand case we are using as I was using Shieldon Leather case. This case does have a magnetic closure. Shopping for a new case.

Last edited:

Flattliner

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
Tried a different case - a Vaja with no magnets - and no focus problem. I think it's a problem with the case magnet near the camera, though why the software update should change that I don't know...

Reactions: madmin

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Tried a different case - a Vaja with no magnets - and no focus problem. I think it's a problem with the case magnet near the camera, though why the software update should change that I don't know...

I think you're right ! I took mine out of the case and tried pointing the camera the other way through the same hole and it worked fine. With the phone out of the case I can cause the problem to start by bringing the case close to the camera from the side but well out of vision. It does appear to be affected by the magnet. Oh well, shame I attacked my camera hole with a Swiss army knife.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I've got the 8+ on 11.2. After reading this thread I've done some extensive testing with both rear lenses and the FaceTime camera and there's absolutely no problem at all.
Judging by a lot of recent threads, there seems to be a lot of manufacturing inconsistencies in all three new iPhones (8, 8+, X). Makes you wonder if Apple are skimping on quality control to meet demand.

BTW - I'm using the Apple Silicone Case (which allows wireless charging too if anyone wants to know)

Last edited:

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I've got the 8+ on 11.2. After reading this thread I've done some extensive testing with both rear lenses and the FaceTime camera and there's absolutely no problem at all.
Judging by a lot of recent threads, there seems to be a lot of manufacturing inconsistencies in all three new iPhones (8, 8+, X). Makes you wonder if Apple are skimping on quality control to meet demand.

Perhaps, but this particular issue started with iOS11.2 and appears to be related to magnets in some cases. In any case, some will say it's to help sales of Apple cases. Those of us who were attracted to cheap cases sold online will be unsure of the magnetic effect, without hands on testing. In your case, results may vary.

Thanks to the forum members who helped solve this case.

aleksandri0

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
Perhaps, but this particular issue started with iOS11.2 and appears to be related to magnets in some cases. In any case, some will say it's to help sales of Apple cases. Those of us who were attracted to cheap cases sold online will be unsure of the magnetic effect, without hands on testing. In your case, results may vary.

Thanks to the forum members who helped solve this case.

I'm using iPhone 8 Plus (iOS 11.2) with original Apple case and focus doesn't work correctly.

Reactions: madmin

Mr. Bulb

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
London
Good grief. With thanks to all who have participated in this dilemma.

It does look like Apple have managed to create an iOS update that renders the camera lens too sensitive to our expensive cases!

I’ve tried my iPhone with and without case. Without, perfect. With the case, that was never a problem in previous iOS, now returns the lens issue! Could this be a plot for all of us to purchase Apple’s approved and over priced thinner cases? And to think they wanted to open up my iPhone to investigate further. Now we are going to be told that our cases are not compatible.

One thing I can say is that forums like this are so important. We tend to identify issues long before Apple does. Let’s hope they act on this. I can’t see them making this a priority if it only affects none Apple cases. Personally I hate these thin cases as they do not fully protect the phone as good as a quality case that are designed to surround the iPhones at every angle and corner, especially if dropped.

Reactions: Mikemx3

markp-a

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
My iPhone camera app works after the update on my X. But my halide app seems to have trouble autofocusing. Don’t use that much though because I seem to need to zoom to more than 2x for most shots.

borgking

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
I'm able to corroborate all the findings here too. I have the Kavaj Dallas case which has a magnetic closure on my iPhone 8 Plus

11.1.2 - no camera focus issues, works fine with & without the case.
11.2 - with the case - focus is poor
11.2 - without the case - no focus issues.

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
Installed TVOS 11 beta profile on my 8 Plus to disable OTA update of 11.2, will stay on 11.1.2 which is working perfectly fine for me, as for apple cash i'm in canada so it's not working anyway. Will see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.