Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Has anyone filed a bug report. This does not appear to be anywhere in news as of writing this

Last edited:

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
Just speculating because only iPhone 8/X user seems affected by this and the only thing that really changed in iOS 11.2 is the enabling of the faster wireless charging.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just speculating because only iPhone 8/X user seems affected by this and the only thing that really changed in iOS 11.2 is the enabling of the faster wireless charging.
Well, there are plenty of other things that have changed in one way or another. The wireless charging change is more unique to those models, but the hardware in them is different too, so realistically it could practically be anything.

Earth45

Suspended
Nov 29, 2017
Because there are little bugs that probably interact with different apps download and settings on certain phones and such.

Or perhaps you haven't tried to autofocus yet on further objects, because mine seems to work when something is up really close, but as it get further away the focus just doesn't happen on anything.

I’ve taken a series of photos at different distances and using a UAG case and again no issues.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Backup and restore your iPhone. Set it up as new. If the issue is still present, take it to the Apple Store.

It looks like it was an update problem and restoring your phone as new would not help so pass on that for now. I am sure Apple knows by now and we will be getting another update even sooner!

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Interesting that some of you are having this issue but I to am on 11.2, and my focus thus far does not have issues. Wonder why?

My one-month-old iPhone 8+ and I also wonder why, but not enough to upgrade from iOS 11.1.2. I can, and will, wait for the next one to see if it's fixed.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
What a nightmare. Sorry for everyone going through this. I’m sticking with my current version until I know all of this has been sorted out. I’m not desperate for any of the features released in 11.2. I know I want a working camera over anything else offered, so I won’t gamble with this update. Apple needs to get it together.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Interesting that some of you are having this issue but I to am on 11.2, and my focus thus far does not have issues. Wonder why?
Same here. No issues whatsoever on my iPhone 8 Plus. Last night it did take me a little while to snap a clear photo of a baby spider in low light, but it wasn’t really anything out of the ordinary and today everything seems fine.

Last edited:

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
Same here, iPhone X, official Apple Leather case, 11.2, camera can't focus anymore. Taking off the case doesn't make a difference, unfortunately.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Definitely a magnet issue w my case. Simple test, take phone out of case, perfect focus. Return phone to case, and focus issues return. Simple.

What's weird is that an update causes this. I wonder what they changed in the software to have it affect focusing.

Lkwd24

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
NJ
Very weird. I have 2 battery cases, 1 with a magnet that connects the top and 1 without. The 1 that has a magnet has focus issues, the 1 without does not have the issue. What’s weird is, this only started after iOS 11.2 upgrade. Not sure what the fix would be...
[doublepost=1512446517][/doublepost]
It's useful to know if you were using a case with magnets or not
I was, now I changed my case and issue is gone. I wonder what was changed in iOS 11.2 that would make that happen.

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I just downgraded to 11.1.2 (issue gone with original Apple leather case) and set up as new, upgraded to 11.2 (issue still gone), restored my backup (issue is back). Downgrading to 11.1.2 permanently is not an option for me since I don't have a backup of my phone on that version anymore thanks to iTunes immediately having overwritten the backup after I had upgraded to 11.2. It's unbelievable that Apple let us spend over a grand on a phone and renders the camera - one of the main selling points of this device - useless with one of their software updates...

Reactions: Flattliner
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.