Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I love that people with crap cases are blaming Apple for this one. There are enough legitimate complaints about Apple right now without manufacturing an issue.

Has nothing to do with a case. I don't have a case on my phone, upgraded to iOS 11.2 and the autofocus was removed. Are you telling us Apple implanted a bug into their operating system to make sure autofocus broke when upgrading to 11.2 with certain cases when it has never happened in any release prior? Get lost troll.

charliesixtwo

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Canada
Signed up for the forums just because of this thread - you've saved me (and my friends) from the pain of upgrading and discovering a broken-ness that reminds me of iOS 8 *shudder*

Most appreciative of all the detail you folks are providing (seems other sites are not carrying this info)

iOS 11.x seems to be a pig's breakfast...I'm on 11.1.2 on an 8+ and I curse many little issues on a daily basis. Where's that legendary attention to detail we're all used to from Apple...

hmmwhat

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
I'm experiencing this on my iPhone X, which has never "seen" a case. It seems to be specific to the wide lens. Further, macro shots using this lens appear to be unaffected. It's obvious enough for me to have noticed it while taking a photo of my dog yesterday. Poking around online, I haven't been able to find much noise aside from a couple of threads. Most of those are attributing this to some sort of magnetic case, but my phone suggests that this isn't case-related.

As a test, I found a photo I took in my office pre 11.2 (with Live Photo enabled, nonetheless!), took the (almost) exact same picture right now(sans Live Photo) and there's an obvious loss of detail.

11.1: https://imgur.com/L70KdlT
11.2: https://imgur.com/8bfTSjs

You can clearly read the "Chillout" text on my USB fan in the first (11.1) photo. In the second(11.2), it's a blurry mess.

The lens is clean and I've NEVER dropped my phone. Using it naked, I've babied it more than usual. This appears to be specific to 11.2. Glad I was able to find others also having this issue. Thought about taking it to Apple, but I think I'll hold off for now.

Last edited:

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
I'm experiencing this on my iPhone X, which has never "seen" a case. It seems to be specific to the wide lens. Further, macro shots appear to be fine, but there is an obvious loss of detail that I'm attributing to an autofocus issue.

As a test, I found a photo I took in my office pre 11.2 (with Live Photo enabled, nonetheless!), took the (almost) exact same picture right now(sans Live Photo) and there's an obvious loss of detail.

11.1: https://imgur.com/L70KdlT
11.2: https://imgur.com/8bfTSjs

You can clearly read the "Chillout" text on my USB fan in the first photo.

The lens is clean and I've NEVER dropped my phone. Using it naked, I've babied it more than usual. This appears to be specific to 11.2. Glad I was able to find others also having this issue.
I took a picture of my kid with the portrait mode (only mode with the focus working for me) on 11.2 and the center of the image is blurred a bit like on your picture.

Armand.Welsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
I updated to 11.2 on Sunday night, and I didn’t not have any issues with camera focus. I just tested it again, and I can focus near and far, both with the 1x and 2x lenses. I have an iPhone8+ as well.
Sometimes the over the air updates are incomplete or broken for some people. Try downloading the update through iTunes and performing a restore of the firmware from iTunes via lightning/usb cable.

Reactions: metsjetsfan

hmmwhat

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
I updated to 11.2 on Sunday night, and I didn’t not have any issues with camera focus. I just tested it again, and I can focus near and far, both with the 1x and 2x lenses. I have an iPhone8+ as well.
Sometimes the over the air updates are incomplete or broken for some people. Try downloading the update through iTunes and performing a restore of the firmware from iTunes via lightning/usb cable.

Currently downloading the 11.2 .ipsw to restore via my computer to see if that will help. To be clear, my phone will seemingly focus both near and far, but what it "thinks" is in focus is still slightly out-of-focus upon inspection of the photo. Using a 3rd party app with manual focus set to "infinity" still results in photos less sharp than those I have prior to this update. It seems like something is preventing the wide lens from reaching that final focal point.

Will report back once I've done the tethered restore.
[doublepost=1512590830][/doublepost]
Currently downloading the 11.2 .ipsw to restore via my computer to see if that will help. To be clear, my phone will seemingly focus both near and far, but what it "thinks" is in focus is still slightly out-of-focus upon inspection of the photo. Using a 3rd party app with manual focus set to "infinity" still results in photos less sharp than those I have prior to this update. It seems like something is preventing the wide lens from reaching that final focal point.

Replying to myself so I can upload an image.

I restored through iTunes and the problem persists. I'm uploading a new photo which includes an example of the loss-of-detail I'm talking about. The only thing that's different is the firmware. Also keep in mind that, when I initially took the 11.1 photo, Live Photos was enabled and I wasn't even trying to take a decent picture. On the other hand, the 11.2 photo is the most in-focus one I was able to capture out of ~10 attempts AND Live Photos was disabled. What's the deal?

Attachments

• 11.1vs11.2.png
    11.1vs11.2.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 320
Last edited:

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011

[doublepost=1512590830][/doublepost]

Replying to myself so I can upload an image.

I restored through iTunes and the problem persists. I'm uploading a new photo which includes an example of the loss-of-detail I'm talking about. The only thing that's different is the firmware. Also keep in mind that, when I initially took the 11.1 photo, Live Photos was enabled and I wasn't even trying to take a decent picture. On the other hand, the 11.2 photo is the most in-focus one I was able to capture out of ~10 attempts AND Live Photos was disabled. What's the deal?
Yeah those are exactly the symptoms my device is having. Just need to keep fingers crossed for an update fix. But since very few people have this issue it could go unfixed until ios12

markp-a

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Why do peoples before photos have sheets with small text in the photo and the after shots do not ??? And does that affect something. (Desk one and blue space heater the other. )

hmmwhat

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Why do peoples before photos have sheets with small text in the photo and the after shots do not ??? And does that affect something. (Desk one and blue space heater the other. )

I guess it would be more appropriate to replicate the photo exactly. Perhaps the sheets (scantrons I was alphabetizing) gave the phone more "stuff" to work with. I only picked this photo because it allowed me to to take a new photo today and make the direct comparison, illustrating the focus issue I'm noticing.

Anyway, I just put some scantrons onto the desk to make a more exact comparison (attached) and, still, the problem persists.

Attachments

• 11.1vs11.2withsheets.png
    11.1vs11.2withsheets.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 317
Reactions: macfacts

markp-a

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I guess it would be more appropriate to replicate the photo exactly. Perhaps the sheets (scantrons I was alphabetizing) gave the phone more "stuff" to work with. I only picked this photo because it allowed me to to take a new photo today and make the direct comparison, illustrating the focus issue I'm noticing.

Anyway, I just put some scantrons onto the desk to make a more exact comparison (attached) and, still, the problem persists.

Thanks for that. Just brainstorming possibilities. Really does seem like an 11.2 issue. Which reminds me of the 9.1 or 9.2 update that made playing my music in the car sound like an old vinyl record. The Chevy dealer almost had my suburban radio warrantied out as defective. Until we tried others in the lot and they did the same thing. Apple fixed with the next update.

I remember some sort of apple website where I complained and actually had an Apple engineer actually call me.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Do you have a magnetic closure case?

No magnetic cases (having read last month that using a magnetic car mount for newest models w/wireless charge ability wasn't recommended by Apple because it could screw up compass nav, I also ditched my magnetic car mount) and still using iOS 11.1.2. All of my cases are open-faced.

Still waiting to update next go-round.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
It’s happening on my iPhone X after iOS 11.2. I have a regular case on with no magnets in it and it was always fine before this update.
When did you update?

Am curious if the later updates after the weekend made out better for whatever reason. But I know it’s unlikely

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
I tested some things that people mentionned in this thread and it really seems that the issue is with the magnets used behind cases, the camera out of the case is working as it should but as soon as I approach it near the camera cutout where the magnet are suppose to be, the camera is acting up like when it's in the case. When I put it on the other side of the cutout it works flawlessly. Something was changed in the behavior of the camera software wise because it wasn't doing this with earlier versionS of iOS 11.

Reactions: Mikemx3

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
I tested some things that people mentionned in this thread and it really seems that the issue is with the magnets used behind cases, the camera out of the case is working as it should but as soon as I approach it near the camera cutout where the magnet are suppose to be, the camera is acting up like when it's in the case. When I put it on the other side of the cutout it works flawlessly. Something was changed in the behavior of the camera software wise because it wasn't doing this with earlier versionS of iOS 11.

My case doesn’t have any magnets and my iPhone X is still not focusing properly.

Reactions: metsjetsfan

Pootle23

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
I have this issue using an iphone 8. I had the bug the other day that kept crashing the phone every 10 seconds so I was forced to update to ios 11.2. Since then the camera won't focus, I was using a magnetic case but since switching to a different case the camera is fine.

Reactions: Mikemx3 and madmin

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Same for me. I'm using an original silicone case and the issue still persists on iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11.2.
By the way, restoring back to 11.1.2 and again to 11.2 (with backup) didn't help me.
The brief moment you were on 11.1.2 was it fixed?

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I can confirm that going back to 11.1.2 fixed the problem. I updated to 11.2 and restored my backup and the issue was there again. Unfortunately, I can't go back to 11.1.2 anymore without loosing all my data since I don't have a backup anymore (the only backups I have are on 11.2).

Another thing that broke after updating to 11.2 is pairing my Apple Watch. It wouldn't connect after the upgrade and also wouldn't unpair from my phone. I've tried it repeatedly and after a while I could at least remove it from the phone somehow.

However, I can not pair it again, it simply isn't seen by the iPhone in the list of devices and scanning the display doesn't work either. The last resort would be to erase all data and content on the watch and try it again but I've spent a considerable amount of time to configure everything the way I want and don't want to start from scratch. Especially since the focus of my camera is broken as well.

Anyone with the same problem or a suggestion how to pair the watch again?

Last edited:

aleksandri0

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
The brief moment you were on 11.1.2 was it fixed?

I hadn't a chance to continue using iPhone on iOS 11.1.2. The only opportunity I had was to download iOS 11.2 and install it from initial iPhone setup flow (there was no button to go to Home Screen except iOS upgrading).

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Hoping for update today. 11.1.2 I think was rolled out on a Thursday. But with my luck the update will come and issue will persist :p

Nixle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
I can confirm that going back to 11.1.2 fixed the problem. I updated to 11.2 and restored my backup and the issue was there again. Unfortunately, I can't go back to 11.1.2 anymore without loosing all my data since I don't have a backup anymore (the only backups I have are on 11.2).

Another thing that broke after updating to 11.2 is pairing my Apple Watch. It wouldn't connect after the upgrade and also wouldn't unpair from my phone. I've tried it repeatedly and after a while I could at least remove it from the phone somehow.

However, I can not pair it again, it simply isn't seen by the iPhone in the list of devices and scanning the display doesn't work either. The last resort would be to erase all data and content on the watch and try it again but I've spent a considerable amount of time to configure everything the way I want and don't want to start from scratch. Especially since the focus of my camera is broken as well.

Anyone with the same problem or a suggestion how to pair the watch again?
Go in settings on your watch then in General/reset and finally erase content, you watch will return to factory default, re-pair it with the app on the phone and restore using an existing backup. Thats the only thing that restored the connection of my series 3 to my phone.

Last edited:

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014

^ Don't listen to this. This is not a thing. It's iOS 11.2 and has nothing to do with a case. I don't have a case and have autofocus not working on objects over a foot away in all settings/light/etc.

Keep hitting Apple with this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.