Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

u297

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
As another update, I've seen massive battery performance increase since Beta4. Yesterday I made it from 7am to 10pm off charger going from 100% to 60% which was equivalent to my previous performance before 11.4 dropped. I've noticed too that the unit feels cool to the touch when sitting idle....feels safe to say that they fixed it. You can always install Beta4 then install the final when its released, for those suffering from bad battery performance it seems like a win-win.

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2018
As another update, I've seen massive battery performance increase since Beta4. Yesterday I made it from 7am to 10pm off charger going from 100% to 60% which was equivalent to my previous performance before 11.4 dropped. I've noticed too that the unit feels cool to the touch when sitting idle....feels safe to say that they fixed it. You can always install Beta4 then install the final when its released, for those suffering from bad battery performance it seems like a win-win.
How can I download it ?

u297

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Went to beta.apple.com/profile on my iPhone and signed up. It then downloaded a profile onto my iPhone and installed. After that it appeared as an OTA update.

Note, I think in the past day or so they've also released iOS 12 as beta, so not sure how to choose between iOS 11.4.1 Beta channel and iOS 12 beta channel...but maybe will give you choice when you sign up.

Reactions: AntonisReverse

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Strangely for me still on 11.4 the battery is much better on my 6s plus and I didn't change anything. Maybe it was an app having issues running on this specific firmware and an update fix it.

u297

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Maybe it was an app having issues running on this specific firmware and an update fix it.

Thats possible, but there was a noticeable "to the minute" change when I updated to 11.4.1 Beta 4.

As a full disclosure, when I first upgraded to 11.4 I went through 2 stages: Stage 1 was horrible battery usage...this went from day 1 to about day 5....then Stage 2 started around Day 5 where battery life improved for 80% of the situations, but strangely sometimes something like checking an email would suddenly cause battery usage to plummet, but then it would become ok again for the next few hours. I could never really predict what would cause battery life to plummet again, sometimes it would be browsing the web, other times looking at Maps, email, etc.

Stupidly, I decided to "restore" and do a fresh install of 11.4 again....this led to another whole 5 days of terrible battery life, it was during the pits of that desperation that I decided to install Beta4 and am very glad I did. I've noticed no more "episodes" of literally being able to watch battery life tick down percentage points for each email I've read.

But I did speculate that perhaps it was something specific to my (our) installation that was leading to this...only way to check would be to restore to 11.4 stock install, but not to restore any apps / config settings. Treat the phone as a complete new phone and leave off all 3rd party apps and measure battery life.

Reactions: AntonisReverse

Baseball Mike

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Seattle, WA
Went to beta.apple.com/profile on my iPhone and signed up. It then downloaded a profile onto my iPhone and installed. After that it appeared as an OTA update.

Note, I think in the past day or so they've also released iOS 12 as beta, so not sure how to choose between iOS 11.4.1 Beta channel and iOS 12 beta channel...but maybe will give you choice when you sign up.

I just tried this and I’m only able to download the iOS 12 PB. Did Apple remove the ability to download the 11.4.1 PB? Anyone else know how to get it?

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2018
I just tried this and I’m only able to download the iOS 12 PB. Did Apple remove the ability to download the 11.4.1 PB? Anyone else know how to get it?
For me it’s also the case. I can’t find 11.4.1 PB anymore
[doublepost=1530176814][/doublepost]This is an example of the battery consumption of my iPhone : doing absolutely nothing, just answering some messages and some Instagram
(Now that I’m typing it’s already 79% lol)

Attachments

• BFB7177F-9995-41E4-92BA-22985BEEB666.png
    BFB7177F-9995-41E4-92BA-22985BEEB666.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 217

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
After OTA update to iOS 12 public beta, my SE still drained completely over night (connected to 5GHz home wifi). Of course, I don't actually know whether this is due to the 5GHz wifi issue or not. Haven't made any "log-logout of iCloud" or forced resets after updating.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
So as an update to my original post on this thread, my 6s is still suffering from rapid battery drain while connected to my home network. Connecting to my 2.5 GHz wifi seems to help, but I've still experienced significant battery drain overnight (on one occasion my phone went from 100% to 0% without me using it at all in a matter of hours). When away from home (and connected to my university's wifi for example) battery life is normal (comparable to what I had before updating to 11.4), with little to no drain while in standby. Setting the phone to airplane mode while at home prevents the battery from draining. I have tried resetting my network settings to no effect.

REALLY hoping 11.4.1 fixes this!

u297

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Just to confirm, I had the same strange behavior. Out on the road, away from home, battery life was mostly normal. At home, during the night battery would be drained from 100 - to - 0 over the course of a night.

11.4.1 Beta4 totally fixed everything for me. The semi-funny situation I find myself in now, is that I'm hesitant to upgrade to 11.4.1 final when its released or 12. I was so annoyed over the last few weeks I was tempted to just buy another phone, but didn't want to reward apple, so I actually browsed the Samsung website to see their new offerings (and I hate the google-bot-net thats called Android).

This is a way that apple shoots themselves in the foot with their ultra-secrecy regarding bugs. If they were more transparent it would give their users a more comfortable feel with staying tied to their platform, but the secrecy unintentionally implies that they are either incompetent or uncaring. Meanwhile Tim Cook is off selling sticker packs...

rid2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2018
I managed to solve the issue on my SE. It was necessary to disable "Calls on other devices" option.
It constantly communicates with other Apple devices on your local network.
That's why some people note that the problem exists only when connected to their in-home WiFi network.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I managed to solve the issue on my SE. It was necessary to disable "Calls on other devices" option.
That's why some people note that the problem exists only when connected to their in-home WiFi network.

That makes a lot of sense. I have just disabled that feature on my 6s (never use it anyway). Will leave it off the charger overnight and see how it does.

Antisthenes

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016

Since your explanation seemed extremely plausible (I also own an iPad), I dared to install 11.4 over my rolled back 11.3.1, yesterday. I am very happy to report that my battery dropped from 100% to 96% over night while being connected to my 5ghz Wifi. I will report back to you guys in case anything changes, but at first glance, this call function really seems to have been the culprit. Good catch, rid2000!

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
That makes a lot of sense. I have just disabled that feature on my 6s (never use it anyway). Will leave it off the charger overnight and see how it does.
Well it doesn’t seem to have fixed the issue for me. Phone was completely dead when I woke up this morning.

baas

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
I never had that feature on and experience the battery drain as well so don't think that's it..

Zetbo

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2018
I had this problem with 11.4.1 and I updated to 12 beta. Everything was OK for few days(but I did not have wifi on), but now this problem is back. I did not have this problem, if I disable Wifi(5GHz) and location service. I used the feedback-app to inform Apple about this. This is so frustrating!

baas

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
I noticed the battery drain as well on 11.4 (iPhone 6S, 2 years old, battery healt 85%). I overruled the peak performance limitation to keep maximum speed, but the last few weeks I had multiple unexpected shutdowns when my battery level was low. Yesterday I decided to keep peak performance management turned on (so my phone is being throthled right now) and it seems that battery drain is much less. I'm going to wait for 11.4.1 and see if that makes a difference but otherwise I'll have apple replace my battery.

Might it be related to peak performance? Did you override this setting?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Since your explanation seemed extremely plausible (I also own an iPad), I dared to install 11.4 over my rolled back 11.3.1, yesterday. I am very happy to report that my battery dropped from 100% to 96% over night while being connected to my 5ghz Wifi. I will report back to you guys in case anything changes, but at first glance, this call function really seems to have been the culprit. Good catch, rid2000!

I don’t know, I get bigger than usual battery drops when away from home, too.

I think that almost certainly the bug is something to do with networking.

Let’s hope that 11.4.1 is released soon and solves this.

Zetbo

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2018
I can keep my location service on, but if I enable my wifi the battery starts draining like mad.

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I don’t know, I get bigger than usual battery drops when away from home, too.

I think that almost certainly the bug is something to do with networking.

Let’s hope that 11.4.1 is released soon and solves this.
I didn't have any problems with my 7 running 11.4, I put 11.4.1 beta on and got best battery life yet. All day 7 to 5 maybe took 20% of the total.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Could those who report "good" battery life in 11.4.X please specify whether they connect to 5GHz wifi e.g. at home since this seems to be the culprit so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.