Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
My 11 Pro Max has been stuck like this for nearly 3 hours. What do I do? I’ve tried resetting and it won’t let me? I chose the iCloud back up and this is where I’m stuck

Attachments

• 298982E5-ECE9-441D-B960-E0DD666E0C5F.jpeg
    298982E5-ECE9-441D-B960-E0DD666E0C5F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 792

jayenes

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
CA
Mine did this too! I ended up force restarting and now I’m stuck on a a white progress screen.

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Mine, too for at least an hour.

I chose direct transfer, it got to the end and failed (error message on old phone). The only option is a reset button on the new phone.

So I reset, transferred again, and now I'm stuck exactly where you are... the white bar is almost complete, just to the point where it starts to round off. It was almost there and making progress really slowly. Now, it doesn't look like any progress.

The new phone is activated, because I can't get any phone calls or text messages. My watch pings the OLD phone. *sigh*

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Mine, too for at least an hour.

I chose direct transfer, it got to the end and failed (error message on old phone). The only option is a reset button on the new phone.

So I reset, transferred again, and now I'm stuck exactly where you are... the white bar is almost complete, just to the point where it starts to round off. It was almost there and making progress really slowly. Now, it doesn't look like any progress.

The new phone is activated, because I can't get any phone calls or text messages. My watch pings the OLD phone. *sigh*
Same here. I can’t call out on my old phone or receive calls. I’ve been stuck about a millimeter from the end for the last three hours

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Same exact problem here... I forced a restart and tried again, back to swipe to upgrade, and got stuck in the same exact place again. I ended up forcing it into restore mode, and restoring in iTunes. I then set up as new, and instead of restoring from my iTunes backup, I restored from my icloud backup. After like 6 hours, that finally worked. First time I've ever had a real issue setting up a new phone. Seems it tripped over something in my iTunes backup.

Reactions: scottschram

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Same exact problem here... I forced a restart and tried again, back to swipe to upgrade, and got stuck in the same exact place again. I ended up forcing it into restore mode, and restoring in iTunes. I then set up as new, and instead of restoring from my iTunes backup, I restored from my icloud backup. After like 6 hours, that finally worked. First time I've ever had a real issue setting up a new phone. Seems it tripped over something in my iTunes backup.

Ok, I called Apple support. We ended up doing pretty much what you did here, a reboot didn't work. We did restore mode, restored using iTunes. Chose "Set up as new" and then I'm restoring from an iCloud backup. The phone came up pretty quickly, and rings now. It offered to pair with the watch. Now, just waiting for the restore of each app, etc.

I used a Sep 17 restore, because I wasn't sure the one dated today just before trying the transfer finished properly.

Maybe it would eventually have finished, but I had waited over 2 hours.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Ok, I called Apple support. We ended up doing pretty much what you did here, a reboot didn't work. We did restore mode, restored using iTunes. Chose "Set up as new" and then I'm restoring from an iCloud backup. The phone came up pretty quickly, and rings now. It offered to pair with the watch. Now, just waiting for the restore of each app, etc.

I used a Sep 17 restore, because I wasn't sure the one dated today just before trying the transfer finished properly.

Maybe it would eventually have finished, but I had waited over 2 hours.
How did you get into restore mode? I’m trying and it won’t work

and I can’t call Apple cause my old phone is deactivate now!!

• Sad
Reactions: caligurl

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
mine won't go into restore mode. i get back to a white screen that says swipe up to upgrade. i do that and then a message pops up that it can't connect to the phone because it has a password on it.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
mine won't go into restore mode. i get back to a white screen that says swipe up to upgrade. i do that and then a message pops up that it can't connect to the phone because it has a password on it.
EXACT same problem here

• Sad
Reactions: caligurl

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Basically reset is the same as restart, but you hold the side button continuously, past the black screen, past the apple, and then it indicates it wants to be plugged in to iTunes.

So:

Click up vol button.
Click down vol button.
Press and hold the right button a loooong time.

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Same here. I can’t call out on my old phone or receive calls. I’ve been stuck about a millimeter from the end for the last three hours
I have the same issue also, I'm worried about it - but plan to let it keep working tonight.

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Sigh. Moderator approval pending. Here again without link:

Basically restore is the same as restart, but you hold the side button continuously, past the black screen, past the apple, and then it indicates it wants to be plugged in to iTunes.

So:

Click up vol button.
Click down vol button.
Press and hold the right button a loooong time.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I got thru to recovery mode it says “iTunes is downloading a software update for this iPhone and will install it when the download is complete”
[automerge]1569033110[/automerge]
I got thru to recovery mode it says “iTunes is downloading a software update for this iPhone and will install it when the download is complete”
Now it says “the iPhone could not be updated because the firmware file is not compatible”

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
[automerge]1569033110[/automerge]

Now it says “the iPhone could not be updated because the firmware file is not compatible”

How did you finally get through to recovery?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Plug it in to the computer then do the restart thing hold the power button for a loooooong time until the plug into computer prompt pops up

*sigh* ok... i just get a pop up telling me iTunes can't connect to the phone because it's locked with a password... endless freaking cycle on a $1500 piece of GARBAGE!

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I have a DANG MacBook with usb-c. ANY way to do this without connecting? kinda ridiculous...
Gotta use dongle..... ****** Apple
[automerge]1569033453[/automerge]
*sigh* ok... i just get a pop up telling me iTunes can't connect to the phone because it's locked with a password... endless freaking cycle on a $1500 piece of GARBAGE!
I kept getting that too but you have to keep holding the power button

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Don't let up on the right button, hold it a very long time. Past the black screen. Past the Apple. Then you get the prompt to plug it into the Mac.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Now it says it’s downloading a software update 3 hours remaining SMH

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
And I sympathize. Clearly they're trying with this new direct transfer, only it failed, twice. It's a disincentive for annual upgraders like me... better part of one day a year...
[automerge]1569034645[/automerge]
Now it says it’s downloading a software update 3 hours remaining SMH
Mine took minutes. I think it might be 10gb, my network monitor said that's what iTunes used.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
And I sympathize. Clearly they're trying with this new direct transfer, only it failed, twice. It's a disincentive for annual upgraders like me... better part of one day a year...
[automerge]1569034645[/automerge]

Mine took minutes. I think it might be 10gb, my network monitor said that's what iTunes used.
Mine says 4.31 GB

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Had this problem today. Plug into computer with updated iTunes, press volume up and down quickly and then press and hold side button. It will enter restore mode, download software update and then restore. Don’t do direct transfer just use iCloud restore.

Reactions: scottschram
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.