Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone joe

Suspended
Feb 10, 2011
NY
Had this problem today. Plug into computer with updated iTunes, press volume up and down quickly and then press and hold side button. It will enter restore mode, download software update and then restore. Don’t do direct transfer just use iCloud restore.

Restore while plugged into the computer or wirelessly?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i wasn't using their newfangled restore/transfer... i was doing the good old fashioned iTunes from the computer restore. ?

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Restore while plugged into the computer or wirelessly?

Has to be plugged in. Once it gets stuck in the loop, it has to be restored in iTunes.
[automerge]1569036327[/automerge]
i wasn't using their newfangled restore/transfer... i was doing the good old fashioned iTunes from the computer restore. ?

That sucks :( I suspect it’s some sort of ios13 bug but mostly seeing it with the transfer.

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Both our phones did this today too. 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max.

11 Pro was stuck for 4 hours at 99%. Then did a force restart and swipe up to upgrade, stuck at 99% for 4 more hours. Did a DFU and after reboot, stuck at 99% again. Don't know what to do now. Don't have an iCloud back up, only a fresh iTunes.

11 Pro Max. Saw what happened to 11 Pro so opted to do phone to phone transfer in the apple store before leaving. Took 1:15 using the cable. Then stuck on apple logo screen booting at 99% for 3 hours. Came home plugged into iTunes to prepare for DRU but just tried a force restart and it actually booted up and has been working since.

This is totally whack and not like the prior phone upgrade experiences. Worried the 11 Pro will never boot or be able to restore.

UrbanGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
DFW, Texas
Crap seems like lots of people had this issue. When I got mine before I turned it on I put my SIM card in and started it up (I know that doesn’t affect anything) and had just done a back up on my old iPhone 7+ and had no problems.

but I do remember I had this problem on my previous phone and just left it and it sorted itself out. Just took several hours.

Omega V

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I had the same issues but SOLVED IT with these steps!!!

1. Setup iPhone (out the box or restore iOS 13 using DFU mode)

2. Follow all the steps but SKIP the screen that asks you restore from iCloud, Mac, etc.

3. Once your iPhone is ready to use go into the setting and then the iCloud settings

4. Turn off "FIND MY IPHONE"

5. Go into iTunes and select "RESTORE BACKUP"

6. If you get the "YOUR IPHONE NEEDS TO BE UNLOCKED FIRST MESSAGE" DON'T DO IT!!! Just leave the message up while you finish the next step

6. Pick your backup and everything will restore (the loading bar won't stop now)

Took me almost 3 hours of restoring and screwing around to get this to work and it worked for both my iPhone 11 Pro Max devices. I never had any issues with doing a restore in the past either...

Reactions: xodh

lawrencejuliano

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Beverly Hills, CA
My 11 Pro Max has been stuck like this for nearly 3 hours. What do I do? I’ve tried resetting and it won’t let me? I chose the iCloud back up and this is where I’m stuck

I had the same exact issue, first time I’ve ever had a problem on launch. I tried resetting a couple of times to no avail, eventually (like others) resolving to a restore which did the trick.

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
When I try a regular restore using iTunes, it now says I have to go into iCloud settings on the phone to turn off Find My iPhone. Well, the phone won't even boot up so how am I supposed to do that?

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
I tried a DFU again and this time it made it. Instead of restoring from a backup, I told it to just set up as a new phone. It's the first time this phone was fully booted up. I think there was something wrong with trying to boot it up for the first time using a backup.

Now, I'll restore it again and also restore a backup to see if it works.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I really don’t know what to do at this point. The 4.31 GB downloads then I get this error message

Attachments

• 5D63E154-83F5-4EC4-AD8D-5A9C7DB0FB96.jpeg
    5D63E154-83F5-4EC4-AD8D-5A9C7DB0FB96.jpeg
    907.6 KB · Views: 373

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I'm getting super frustrated now, been in the loop of trying to get my new phone at least booted up since 4pm yesterday, so the screen has been at the Apple logo most of the time.
Tried DFU a number of times and when the phone is "booting up" after it downloads the file from iTunes it gets stuck with the progress bar almost complete.

I made a genius appointment for late evening today at my local Apple store. They will have to fix it for me.

Sucks as the phone got activated, so I don't have access to my voicemails, calls, txt messages.

Blackjayballa23

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
I tried a DFU again and this time it made it. Instead of restoring from a backup, I told it to just set up as a new phone. It's the first time this phone was fully booted up. I think there was something wrong with trying to boot it up for the first time using a backup.

Now, I'll restore it again and also restore a backup to see if it works.

This worked for me. I found myself getting very mad, I let it sit overnight with nothing happening. This morning I put it in DFU mode, set up as new phone, then restored from my backup, it worked.

Reactions: blulegend

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
This worked for me. I found myself getting very mad, I let it sit overnight with nothing happening. This morning I put it in DFU mode, set up as new phone, then restored from my backup, it worked.
That is awesome that it worked for you. I’m glad to see it’s helping others. I tried that exact method at the suggestion of someone here, and sadly mine is stuck once again. Going to send it back and stay 8 Plus. I know it sounds childish but for $1500 I expect more. That’s with the understanding that my situation is indeed in the minority.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Just woke up and tried DFU again. Seems to be working.... restore isn’t quite finished but I’m further along than I’ve ever been

Scrib

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
I ran into this exact issue on my Pro Max yesterday and I was pulling my hair out all night. Ultimately set up the phone as new, then erased and restored from a backup as mentioned above. I was tempted to try and put on the latest iOS 13.1 beta, but figured that could really make things ugly. I was close to throwing in the towel and going to an Apple Store over lunch.

ivanputeraa

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
Indonesia
I found a way to successfully restore my 11 Pro from my older backup file.

1. The most important thing that someone may forget is that you have to ensure that your current iOS version is at least the same or greater than the backed device.
2. If performing DFU is too extreme for you, first you can try to disable the FMI from your device, and try to restart both your device and Mac/PC which has the backup file. After that, try to restore the backup file to your device.
3. Last, I don't know this step it's possible for everyone to do, but I try to reset my device contents and settings first, then perform the backup right after my device already successfully reseted (go to the step until you can choose to restore your iPhone from a backup file). In my case, this is the success one.

I hope it could help someone who encounters this kind of issue. Cheers!

SeattleZ12

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
Hello,

Having this same issue right now. Been trying to fix it with Apple Support but to no avail. I tried Recovery mode, updating the software, still stuck at the end of the progress bar, tried restoring, still stuck on progress bar. Tried DFU, still stuck at end of progress bar. The iCloud backup is not showing up under restore backups inside my finder. But I'm able to see the space its taking up in iCloud. I can set up as new without transferring any data and I'm able to get through. But all my photos, settings, apps, etc. are gone besides my contacts. What can I do?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hello,

Having this same issue right now. Been trying to fix it with Apple Support but to no avail. I tried Recovery mode, updating the software, still stuck at the end of the progress bar, tried restoring, still stuck on progress bar. Tried DFU, still stuck at end of progress bar. The iCloud backup is not showing up under restore backups inside my finder. But I'm able to see the space its taking up in iCloud. I can set up as new without transferring any data and I'm able to get through. But all my photos, settings, apps, etc. are gone besides my contacts. What can I do?
If Apple can't help then you're going to have to setup as new. This is the very reason I have backups on iCloud, iTunes and iMazing. Having multiple options for backups is the only way to protect yourself.

SeattleZ12

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
Apple is still helping. Just no solutions have worked so far so they are contacting their engineers. Haven't had an issue with backup restore for past three iPhones, but the last time I did a backup through iTunes it was corrupted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.