Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Just a rant because I wasted a lot of monies in the last year on different iPads.

First I bought a used 12.9” 3rd Gen iPad Pro, but found it too big and sold it at a slight loss.

Then I bought a used 11” 1st Gen iPad Pro. But ended up gifting it to a friend.

I was without an iPad for 7-8 months and then bought an iPad Air 5th Gen. I tried, but couldn’t get used to the lowly refresh rate especially when compared to my iPhone 14 Pro.

I then bought an iPad Pro 11” 4th Gen and liked it mostly, till I made the mistake of going to an Apple Store and looking at the latest 12.9” model. There’s no comparison, the contrast on the 11” model looks poor in comparison. So I sold it within 2 weeks of buying it.

Finally, I bought an iPad Pro 12.9” 6th Gen. It does feel big and bulky, but I think I will get used to it.

End of rant.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Different display tech in the IPP 11” vs 12.9” and contrast specs can be looked at on Apple’s website.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah, the 12.9" feels kind of wide and takes a little adjusting to, but it was absolutely worth getting used to mine

Reactions: slyronit

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
You might just need to buy them all and change them like some people change shoes 🤣

That's a lot of changing iPads within an extremely short period of time.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
When the new iPad Pro models are announced I will be going from a 12.9" iPad Pro to the 11" size class.

I fully bought into the iPad all-in-one idea, but that quickly faded as many things I prefer to do on macOS. Then I realized that the 12.9" size, while manageable, wasn't optimal for grab-and-go tablet use. I ended up getting an iPad mini and then an iPhone Pro Max and realized that I was reaching for one of these nearly every time other than watching TV on the treadmill. Back when I had a 10.5" iPad Pro the iPad was about 70% of my total device usage. Since getting the larger model it's now 20% or less.

My own natural tendencies have shown me that I prefer a lightweight compact device. I'm hoping that the 11" with the new scaling makes it service for the few times I need to push it just a bit farther.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Went from 12.9 to Mini to settle on my current M2 11' that I am currently planning to sell.

Those devices just are not useful within my lifestyle =(.
Ha ha but it feels so good to own one. I use mine for reading magazines and newspapers on Magzter, for which the 12.9” is perfect. I also read books on kindle in landscape for which the 11” was definitely better.

Reactions: callihan_44

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Ha ha but it feels so good to own one. I use mine for reading magazines and newspapers on Magzter, for which the 12.9” is perfect. I also read books on kindle in landscape for which the 11” was definitely better.
It is very neat, such a shame that I am irritated to navigate my computing using my indexes whilst also being more efficient on MacOS.

It boiled down to that in my case.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
It is very neat, such a shame that I am irritated to navigate my computing using my indexes whilst also being more efficient on MacOS.

It boiled down to that in my case.
Luckily I don’t have a MacBook. Plan to buy the Magic Keyboard that launches next year if it is backward compatible with the 12.9” iPad Pro.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
I think I have gotten more or less used to the 12.9” size.

In tablet mode, I prefer the “default” zoom level. However, when mounted on the Magic Keyboard, I prefer the “More Space” zoom level.

It would be great if there’s a setting that can enable auto switching when connecting or disconnecting from the Magic Keyboard.

I submitted a feature request to apple on this today.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I rarely use my M2 MBA and M1 iPad Pro either at the moment, they are more summer devices for outside use when the weather is good.

I only use the 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro with external monitors and the iPhone 15 Pro Max these days.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
i think i will remain with the 12.9 due to how good it is to watch content. Even if i only use it for that it's worth it to me. While it's a handful to hold i think it just depends on how you do so and where. If you're holding it then yeah it's a problem but on your lap there are no issues.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
i think i will remain with the 12.9 due to how good it is to watch content. Even if i only use it for that it's worth it to me. While it's a handful to hold i think it just depends on how you do so and where. If you're holding it then yeah it's a problem but on your lap there are no issues.
It’s not perfect to watch content either, because the aspect ratio of the screen is 4:3 and most content out there is 16:9. So you end up with black bars above and below.

The 11” is closer to the 16:9 ratio, but it’s display is sub-par

Reactions: teh_hunterer

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Having owned both, the issue is really the inability to have one for all needs, and i dont wanna be Mr. Tablet for all the separate use cases. I loved the 12.9 display and all around workflow of a large pane of glass… but I’m a weirdo that uses his iPad to video.. so the 11” was better (if they made a 2TB Mini with high refresh rate and mini LED, I would be in hog heaven.) Point is, I get it. I’ve owned a lot of iPads going back to the very first one (5 minutes with it and I knew it was a game changer.) In the end, the answer is KNOWING your use case for it 95% of time so that last 5% doesn’t gnaw at you

Reactions: Flowstates

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Having owned both, the issue is really the inability to have one for all needs, and i dont wanna be Mr. Tablet for all the separate use cases. I loved the 12.9 display and all around workflow of a large pane of glass… but I’m a weirdo that uses his iPad to video.. so the 11” was better (if they made a 2TB Mini with high refresh rate and mini LED, I would be in hog heaven.) Point is, I get it. I’ve owned a lot of iPads going back to the very first one (5 minutes with it and I knew it was a game changer.) In the end, the answer is KNOWING your use case for it 95% of time so that last 5% doesn’t gnaw at you
Thanks. I am more or less now used to the 12.9”. Just had to give it time. I don’t think I can go back to 11” anymore

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
I think I have gotten more or less used to the 12.9” size.

In tablet mode, I prefer the “default” zoom level. However, when mounted on the Magic Keyboard, I prefer the “More Space” zoom level.

It would be great if there’s a setting that can enable auto switching when connecting or disconnecting from the Magic Keyboard.

I submitted a feature request to apple on this today.
I found a compromise. I set the display as “More Space” and play around with the font size. The font size can be changed from both the control centre and using shortcuts.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It’s not perfect to watch content either, because the aspect ratio of the screen is 4:3 and most content out there is 16:9. So you end up with black bars above and below.

The 11” is closer to the 16:9 ratio, but it’s display is sub-par

Even with black bars you’re still getting noticeably more screen on everything you watch

Reactions: Surfsalot

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I bought the 12.9” strictly for the screen tech, but now I couldn’t imagine going back to 11” because I used the MKB all the time. I’d like to complement it with an OLED Mini though.

I’ve been through so many iPads over the years…1, 2, 3, Air 1, Pro 9.7, Pro 10.5, new Mini which I sold quickly after not liking the screen, and now this one.

I still have the 2021 but I don’t think even OLED on the new Pro models will tempt me. MiniLED has its advantages.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.