Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
My own natural tendencies have shown me that I prefer a lightweight compact device. I'm hoping that the 11" with the new scaling makes it service for the few times I need to push it just a bit farther.
This is exactly what I’m planning to do. I currently have a 12.9 but will be downsizing to an 11 when the new models come out. With stage manager and external display support, I’ve come to realize that if I switch to an 11, I can have the large screen semi-desktop experience when I need to do real work connected to a monitor, but also have the compact portable device when I’m on the go, or reading books on the couch. Best of both worlds. And the scaling option on the 11 will make it even better when I need to work on the go, I think.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
This is exactly what I’m planning to do. I currently have a 12.9 but will be downsizing to an 11 when the new models come out. With stage manager and external display support, I’ve come to realize that if I switch to an 11, I can have the large screen semi-desktop experience when I need to do real work connected to a monitor, but also have the compact portable device when I’m on the go, or reading books on the couch. Best of both worlds. And the scaling option on the 11 will make it even better when I need to work on the go, I think.
If they bring the same display tech to both 11” and 12.9”, the 11” will be a compelling buy. The current 11” does not deserve the “pro” branding in my opinion.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
2 weeks later, I am glad I overcame my initial misgivings and stuck with the 12.9". The display is gorgeous (I hope the 11" gets the same in the next generation) and the screen is big enough that I have stopped borrowing my wife's MacBook Air for stuff like blogging. On the 11", the windows became too small when using Stage Manager, on 12.9", is just perfect.

I plan to keep mine for many years.

Reactions: alecgold

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
Next time, do your homework before splurging your money on expensive tech.

Whenever I buy pretty much ANYTHING that is over, say 100 USD or so, I read all available reviews, watch every YouTube video there is about it, and whenever possible I go and touch/handle/try the actual item in person before buying it ( all of this is very possible for pretty much any kind of Apple hardware... unless you are the kind of person that orders their newest tech on prerelease so you can have it on day 1 of release).

Try it next time, it will for sure save you from wasting money (god knows how much money it has saved me in all these years). If you had done so, you would have realized before buying the differences in the display tech between the 12.9 and the 11, how the iPad Air refresh rate doesn't match that of an iPhone 14 pro, etc....

EVENMORE: If you would have done your homework you would know that in the next 2-3 months, Apple will release an 11 inch iPad Pro that will potentially have an even better display than the current 12.9, so it will give you the form factor you want with the display quality of your current 12.9, possible making you regret having had bought the current 12.9 so near to its hardware refresh...

Bro, do your homework....Just my 002

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
When the new iPad Pro models are announced I will be going from a 12.9" iPad Pro to the 11" size class.

I fully bought into the iPad all-in-one idea, but that quickly faded as many things I prefer to do on macOS. Then I realized that the 12.9" size, while manageable, wasn't optimal for grab-and-go tablet use. I ended up getting an iPad mini and then an iPhone Pro Max and realized that I was reaching for one of these nearly every time other than watching TV on the treadmill. Back when I had a 10.5" iPad Pro the iPad was about 70% of my total device usage. Since getting the larger model it's now 20% or less.

My own natural tendencies have shown me that I prefer a lightweight compact device. I'm hoping that the 11" with the new scaling makes it service for the few times I need to push it just a bit farther.
Great post and I totally agree with you. I'll be going 11" this time. I have both 11 and 12.9 and mainly use the 12.9 as an extra monitor in my office. The 11" is much better for carrying around the house. And size-wise, there's not that much difference anyway.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I rarely travel with my M2 11 Pro and mainly use it in bed. I am thinking of passing mine to one of my kids when the next gen comes out and maybe getting the 12.9. I am just not sure if it will be too much light watching in bed when my wife is trying to sleep. Anyone see a noticeable difference in the dark? I get yelled at enough.😀

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I did the same, but with more time in between. After a year on the 10.9 I went to the 12.9 which was big, but convenient for reading documents. Went back the next year to a M1 11”. Then to the M2 12.9. Next month I hope to go back to the 11” if the oled and all the other nice extras are there.

It seems odd, but it is explainable. For a while I was studying law and an A4 sized iPad is really nice for reading scientific magazines and (scanned) PDF’s. After that I used the iPad as a side device on a laptop, where the 12.9” is overkill and with keyboard is weights a lot more then a virgin 11”. So back to the 11”. After some time I went iPad only and then an 11” isn’t really up to the task And I needed LTE/5G for my 2 hours daily commuting. This year I swiched jobs and got a windows laptop that I need to use, so an 11” is better again.
And the “old” iPads where really welcome for my wife and kids :D

• Haha
Reactions: slyronit

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
I think I have settled in well into the 12.9” model now and can probably not go back to the 11” anymore.

Reactions: alecgold
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.