Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Streaming and downloading working perfectly on Tiger on my Powerbook :)
I don't have a Panther install so that'll be for someone else to try out.

Finally got Panther installed, while the tiger build doesn’t work on it some of the things I compiled do, and everything that is broken I can fix. I’m just happy the latest Python 2 compiled for 10.3.9 because the 10.3.9sdk is incapable of it (I used the 10.4 sdk and -mmacosx-version-min=10.3.9). The only actually errors on Panther is some tiger libs linked by lame and FFMPEG.

Last edited:

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Excellent work. What did it download videos / MP3s in before?

Small suggestion for 7.0.3: Maybe an option can be added for videos to be downloaded as MPEG-2, and audio be downloaded as AAC? AAC is higher quality and more compact than MP3, and PowerPCs typically have a better time with MPEG-2 over MPEG-4, especially G3s, as they were designed for them.

Also, maybe 7.0.3 can see the release of compiled binaries for G3s and G4s w/ Tiger, and perhaps even Panther if an older version of Perian is provided alongside it?

YouTube streaming works on Mac OS X 10.3.9! Release for Panther out tomorrow.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Excellent work. What did it download videos / MP3s in before?

Small suggestion for 7.0.3: Maybe an option can be added for videos to be downloaded as MPEG-2, and audio be downloaded as AAC? AAC is higher quality and more compact than MP3, and PowerPCs typically have a better time with MPEG-2 over MPEG-4, especially G3s, as they were designed for them.

Also, maybe 7.0.3 can see the release of compiled binaries for G3s and G4s w/ Tiger, and perhaps even Panther if an older version of Perian is provided alongside it?

7.0.3 is now out for 10.3.9-10.6.8.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The Unarchiver has this to say when unpacking on 10.5.8.

Picture 1.png

Archive Utility returns essentially the same.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
The Unarchiver has this to say when unpacking on 10.5.8.

View attachment 897701

Archive Utility returns essentially the same.

My bad, something corrupted the zip. Just pushed the new zip out, please use that instead.
[automerge]1583460620[/automerge]
Here's what Archive Utility reports on Tiger

View attachment 897702
Please download it again, the zip got corrupted on the first upload just fixed it.
[automerge]1583460698[/automerge]
Is this in context of YouTube videos or in general?

In general. For PPCMC I have it set to download the absolute best MP4 video streams for each resolution so this may not always be the case.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Ok, I was curious because I certainly can play 1080p H264 files in QuickTime on my G5.

Thanks for taking up the mantle with this project BTW. :)

No problem! How cool is it that we can stream/download YouTube with an OS released in 2003 (and it uses the latest OpenSSL, CA certs, Curl, Python 2, etc). I had a lot of fun getting this to work.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
My bad, something corrupted the zip. Just pushed the new zip out, please use that instead.
[automerge]1583460620[/automerge]

Please download it again, the zip got corrupted on the first upload just fixed it.
[automerge]1583460698[/automerge]

In general. For PPCMC I have it set to download the absolute best MP4 video streams for each resolution so this may not always be the case.
Works fine now, thanks! :D

Reactions: alex_free

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
No problem! How cool is it that we can stream/download YouTube with an OS released in 2003 (and it uses the latest OpenSSL, CA certs, Curl, Python 2, etc). I had a lot of fun getting this to work.

Right. Because of your fine handiwork, I might actually reinstall Panther.

Now all it needs is a good Web browser...

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Why do you think that's not possible? Your electronic compositions could even been done in OS9 on your G4?
I'm not saying they couldn't be, it's just that my hardware doesn't have OS 9 drivers so I'd need to get a new setup of hardware (or use OS X I guess, I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me earlier ?) :p

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
OSX. Here's a video I did showing my Powerbook doing it's stuff :)

Awesome! I should try to look on Macintosh Garden for an OS X-compatible version of Live (or learn how to use Logic like I've been meaning to do ;)) :D

I have a Mac Mini that's not doing a whole lot right now, I could probably outfit it with some DAW stuff. Either that or use my DA :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a Mac Mini that's not doing a whole lot right now, I could probably outfit it with some DAW stuff. Either that or use my DA

Either are more than capable on period software - even a G3 iMac can do amazing stuff!
It'd fit in with the style of your music - well, the retro side of it. You could even do stuff on the OSX version of Protracker if you go down the retro route :)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
YouTube streaming works on Mac OS X 10.3.9! Release for Panther out tomorrow.

That's awesome. I just set up Panther on my 867 MHz TiBook which (probably) underclocks to 667 MHz and disables the L3 cache due to a dead battery, and am going to give this a try.

Yanno, Jaguar will unofficially run on a Mac mini. It has to be installed on a supported machine, updated and then moved over. Do you think there's any chance of this working on Jaguar as well? :)

Reactions: z970 and alex_free

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Either are more than capable on period software - even a G3 iMac can do amazing stuff!
It'd fit in with the style of your music - well, the retro side of it. You could even do stuff on the OSX version of Protracker if you go down the retro route :)
Ok, awesome! I might eventually even try making something on that iBook G3 that I just got and am waiting for! :D

The biggest challenge will be finding a license for Live 5 or 6 I think.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
That's awesome. I just set up Panther on my 867 MHz TiBook which (probably) underclocks to 667 MHz and disables the L3 cache due to a dead battery, and am going to give this a try.

Yanno, Jaguar will unofficially run on a Mac mini. It has to be installed on a supported machine, updated and then moved over. Do you think there's any chance of this working on Jaguar as well? :)

Im really pushing it with Python, I’m compiling against the 10.4 SDK at the 10.3 level API with GCC 4.0.1. But hey , never say never.

Did not know Jaguar was able to run on the mini, I need to get another PPC Mac or find some dmg of it fully updated. Thanks for letting me know.
[automerge]1583508980[/automerge]
Right. Because of your fine handiwork, I might actually reinstall Panther.

Now all it needs is a good Web browser...

Interesting things I’ve found about Panther:

Some things are faster then Tiger (overall performance and memory usage). Some things are slower and crash more.

Im very surprised Safari 1.0 can connect to YouTube over TLS.

I think in the next release I’ll allow you to download any URL in PPC Media Center since there is no modern browser for Panther. I do wonder how hard it would be to make tenthreefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.