Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The rumored 12.9-inch iPad Air that is expected to be announced in May will be equipped with a mini-LED display like the current 12.9-inch iPad Pro, according to Ross Young, CEO of research firm Display Supply Chain Consultants. The existing 10.9-inch iPad Air is equipped with a standard LCD panel, and the move to mini-LED technology for the 12.9-inch model would provide increased brightness for HDR content, deeper blacks, and more.

iPad-Air-12.9-Inch-Feature.jpg

Young revealed this information in a post shared on social media platform X today. He said the 12.9-inch iPad Air will be using leftover mini-LED display panels from the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and he touted lower power consumption as another benefit.

Given that Apple does not have existing inventory of 10.9-inch mini-LED display panels, it is likely that the smaller iPad Air will remain equipped with an LCD panel.

Meanwhile, the next iPad Pro models are widely expected to transition to OLED displays, which would eliminate backlighting to allow for higher contrast ratio with true blacks, and provide other enhancements compared to LCD and mini-LED technologies. The new iPad Pro models are also expected to be announced in May.

Young has a solid track record with display-related Apple rumors, so this information about the iPad Air is likely accurate.

Article Link: 12.9-Inch iPad Air Now Rumored to Feature Mini-LED Display

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SFjohn and madmin

System603

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2021
Europe
Is this a trickling-down of tried-and-true technology, or an attempt to justify a possible price increase? Both? I certainly hope for the former, as Apple has often done this to our advantage in the past. Not always though.

If there isn't a price increase, that would be great. If there is, I'd rather wait for a true black screen, such as OLED or Micro LED (one can dream😁).

Anyway, I'm happy that (hopefully) the company supplying MiniLED screens will maintain output (if different type/volume) because Pros are moving to OLED, as has been rumoured multiple times here and elsewhere.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Is this a trickling-down of tried-and-true technology or just a price bump?
I'm guessing both. Anyhow, Airs getting mini-LED makes sense.

iPad: 64 GB, LED LCD
iPad Air: 128 GB, mini-LED LCD
iPad Pro: 256 GB, dual-stack OLED

I'm just afraid Apple won't update the base storage capacities of the Air and Pro at the same time as when they update the screens.

And...there is no difference between the pros than the camera and refresh rate? Oh 64 gb storage
Pros to get OLED. Airs stay LCD, but with mini-LED. See above for my predictions.

Jean Claude

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2014
What's the story on a larger device? I'd like a larger, thinner, lighter device that looks and feels like one seamless piece of glass, please. Otherwise, any "design" refreshes will just be meh and I'll stick with my current Pro that's worked fine for like 7 years....

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Surprised this is just now coming out with 3 weeks until launch.... (in the deep recesses of my brain I am still hoping these iPads get announced at WWDC as part of some "giant leap forward" for iPadOS.... )
? Apple is the king of secrets. If you get legit leaks early, that's nice, but that shouldn't always be the expectation. Also, the rumour of a 12.9" Air has been around for a long time now.

However, they're still just rumours of course. Also, there is no guarantee a new iPad Air is coming out in 3 weeks, even though it's overdue.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The 12.9" iPad Air users are going to be shocked when they crack their screen and discover Apple's $750 replacement fee for 12.9" Mini LED. I've had a lot of different iPads since launch, nearly every iPhone generation since launch, and a whole lot of different laptops and MacBooks over the years. The one one I've ever broken was the 12.9", which was in a folio case, inside a special padded iPad divider, inside of a padded camera bag, after sitting in the trunk of a car (secured in the same spot) for a two hour road trip. I'm never buying a 12.9" again.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Agree with this - mini LED made the Pro thicker and heavier. The "Air" moniker on iPad is meaningless at this point but they are kinda stuck since the base iPad uses just iPad.
they make different spec versions of computers, I don't see why they can't do the same here. they should also kill the MacBook Air... Just have iPad and iPad Pro and MacBook and MacBook Pro... with varying spec levels between them... like they used to back in the day... the air was a cool novel product in the first gen when it was remarkably light but the name just means nothing anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.