Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Moving the mini-LED screen to the Air makes sense but is unusual for Apple in that they usually seem to create more daylight between Air and Pro models in terms of screen technology, being the masters of product segmentation they are. But good for Tim Apple that he's using up the old displays! 😄

• Haha
Reactions: Jovijoker

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
Not really "leftover". It probably just costs less to use existing tech than to develop another screen around 12.9 inches that has high yields on the mother sheet.
Given that the OLED screens are thinner than than the existing Mini-LED screens, it's possible that the 12.9" new iPad Air could actually weigh more than the larger OLED iPad Pro. Would be **awkward** to have the Air weigh more than the Pro....

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
The 12.9" iPad Air users are going to be shocked when they crack their screen and discover Apple's $750 replacement fee for 12.9" Mini LED. I've had a lot of different iPads since launch, nearly every iPhone generation since launch, and a whole lot of different laptops and MacBooks over the years. The one one I've ever broken was the 12.9", which was in a folio case, inside a special padded iPad divider, inside of a padded camera bag, after sitting in the trunk of a car (secured in the same spot) for a two hour road trip. I'm never buying a 12.9" again.
This is why one buys AppleCare.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
What are they going to do when they run out of 'leftovers' lol, go back to inferior panels and say: " Sorry we ran out"?

Leftovers. More like 'scraping the barrel rumors'.

Anyways, ain't gonna happen, unless they found a cheaper way of doing it. It's possible.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The existing 10.9-inch iPad Air is equipped with a standard LCD panel, and the move to mini-LED technology for the 12.9-inch model would provide increased brightness for HDR content, deeper blacks, and blooming, people, that amazing blooming! 😋

Ridiculous decision, if true, as Air 5 LCD panels are quite decent as they are, so Apple will just be getting rid of their 12.9” Pro panel stock, while charging Air customers more for that infamous blooming screen.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
The existing 10.9-inch iPad Air is equipped with a standard LCD panel, and the move to mini-LED technology for the 12.9-inch model would provide increased brightness for HDR content, deeper blacks, and blooming, people, that amazing blooming! 😋

Ridiculous decision, if true, as Air 5 LCD panels are quite decent as they are, so Apple will just be getting rid of their 12.9” Pro panel stock, while charging Air customers more for that infamous blooming screen.
I own a 12.9" M1 iPad Pro and have never once noticed blooming. Not saying it's not there but it just isn't a big deal day to day. In fact, under normal usage I can't ever tell the difference between LCD and Mini-LED. HDR content is really where you get the WOW.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I'm guessing both. Anyhow, Airs getting mini-LED makes sense.

iPad: 64 GB, LED LCD
iPad Air: 128 GB, mini-LED LCD
iPad Pro: 256 GB, dual-stack OLED

I'm just afraid Apple won't update the base storage capacities of the Air and Pro at the same time as when they update the screens.

Pros to get OLED. Airs stay LCD, but with mini-LED. See above for my predictions.
Wonder if that means the iPad Air will finally ProMotion as well.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
and blooming, people, that amazing blooming! 😋
The blooming is so gross.

ZWV0DDB.jpeg

Sony just made their flagship BRAVIA 9 a mini-LED, replacing OLED, but only because they figured out how to "dim" the dimming zones and so there is barely any blooming noticeable at viewing distance. The MacBook Pro and iPad Pro dimming zones are turned on and off, no dimming, hence massive blooming, especially at close distances. I hope the iPad Air doesn't have this issue. And I seriously doubt this rumor—I'm very skeptical—but at the same time Ross Young is highly reputable in display supply chain consulting.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
The 12.9" iPad Air users are going to be shocked when they crack their screen and discover Apple's $750 replacement fee for 12.9" Mini LED. I've had a lot of different iPads since launch, nearly every iPhone generation since launch, and a whole lot of different laptops and MacBooks over the years. The one one I've ever broken was the 12.9", which was in a folio case, inside a special padded iPad divider, inside of a padded camera bag, after sitting in the trunk of a car (secured in the same spot) for a two hour road trip. I'm never buying a 12.9" again.
None of my iPads ever had any damage, except the original 10.5 iPad Pro that somehow ended up ever so slightly bent. I actually managed to bend it back! In contrast, I have lots of friends with cracked screens 🤷🏻‍♂️.
I travel a lot, and always take Apple Care on my iPads. Those repair fees are insane!

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I own a 12.9" M1 iPad Pro and have never once noticed blooming. Not saying it's not there but it just isn't a big deal day to day. In fact, under normal usage I can't ever tell the difference between LCD and Mini-LED. HDR content is really where you get the WOW.

Enter 32 pages of blooming posts then:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
It would be nice if the 11” iPad Air had the same LCD panel as the 11” iPad Pro (the one in the iPP has better quality and 120Hzs), but still, on the iPad I much prefer FaceID over TouchID.

Reactions: sos47 and madmin

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The blooming is so gross.

View attachment 2369509
Sony just made their flagship BRAVIA 9 a mini-LED, replacing OLED, but only because they figured out how to "dim" the dimming zones and so there is barely any blooming noticeable at viewing distance. The MacBook Pro and iPad Pro dimming zones are turned on and off, no dimming, hence massive blooming, especially at close distances. I hope the iPad Air doesn't have this issue. And I seriously doubt this rumor—I'm very skeptical—but at the same time Ross Young is highly reputable in display supply chain consulting.
Yeah I think the lack of dimming, if that’s the case of Apple’s miniLED, is the culprit. By the way thanks for the photo, I didn’t know it was that noticeable!

EDIT: The new Bravia 9 TV definitely got my attention. Although it is expensive. Hopefully it will be available in the future at a lower price.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6749974

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Yeah I think the lack of dimming, if that’s the case of Apple’s miniLED, is the culprit. By the way thanks for the photo, I didn’t know it was that noticeable!
Although compared to what I can see, the lens exaggerates it by maybe 10-20%, but it's very noticeable and distracting. I was shocked when I first started watching media with it.

This video is maybe closer to what I see, or somewhere in between.

Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.