Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Given that the OLED screens are thinner than than the existing Mini-LED screens, it's possible that the 12.9" new iPad Air could actually weigh more than the larger OLED iPad Pro. Would be **awkward** to have the Air weigh more than the Pro....
Wouldn’t be the first time the Air weighed more than a non-Air product— case in point, MacBook Air 13” vs. MacBook 12” (2.7 lbs vs. 2 lbs.). 😁

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The existing 10.9-inch iPad Air is equipped with a standard LCD panel, and the move to mini-LED technology for the 12.9-inch model would provide increased brightness for HDR content, deeper blacks, and blooming, people, that amazing blooming! 😋

Ridiculous decision, if true, as Air 5 LCD panels are quite decent as they are, so Apple will just be getting rid of their 12.9” Pro panel stock, while charging Air customers more for that infamous blooming screen.

Blooming is rarely visible. The mini-LED screen is vastly superior, I’ve tested the two generations of iPad Pro side by side, one with mini-LED, other with regular LCD and the difference is night and day.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Blooming is rarely visible. The mini-LED screen is vastly superior, I’ve tested the two generations of iPad Pro side by side, one with mini-LED, other with regular LCD and the difference is night and day.

Yep. I'm somewhat of a mini-LED 'hater' in that I do notice the static blooming and clouds following video content around in some instances. But I would still take it over vanilla LED's silver rectangle look any day of the week. Conventionally backlit LED's total inability to reproduce anything even approaching zero luminance black completely destroys the image. Coming from mini-LED, or better still OLED, it's borderline unwatchable for the first few days and actually looks broken.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
For those who want mini LED with 120Hz—Apple's mini LED can't do proper 120Hz.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro has a pixel response of 37.53 ms. That means it's 4.5x too slow for proper 120Hz.

To have proper 120Hz, the pixels need to change color at 8.3 ms or less. Any more, and it starts to get blurry and smudgy during motion. Here's what that looks like on iPads.
If those numbers are correct it wouldn’t even be fast enough for 30 Hz. What’s the point in refreshing the screen up to 120 Hz then?

• Love
Reactions: 6749974

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Never thought about this happening. But very possible. Apple will definitely use the leftover panels of the current Pro model. If this happens, expecting to see a wider price gap between the 10.9 and 12.9 Air.

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
I am quite happy to read this news, and my 1st.-gen. iPad Pro can finally get retirement. I just need an iPad with large display & affordable price but the horsepower is not my concern. if the price of the new iPad Air 12'9 (as rumored) is not that high, then i will order it on day-1.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
The 12.9" iPad Air users are going to be shocked when they crack their screen and discover Apple's $750 replacement fee for 12.9" Mini LED. I've had a lot of different iPads since launch, nearly every iPhone generation since launch, and a whole lot of different laptops and MacBooks over the years. The one one I've ever broken was the 12.9", which was in a folio case, inside a special padded iPad divider, inside of a padded camera bag, after sitting in the trunk of a car (secured in the same spot) for a two hour road trip. I'm never buying a 12.9" again.
I was set to buy another 12.9 when those first came out. Then I saw the reported repair costs and decided to go with the traditional screen on the 11".

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Oddly enough, this could be the perfect product for me.
I'm in search of a tablet to take my concepting/sketching into the digital realm, but I'd appreciate being able to watch content in decent hdr (not as good as OLED, but still).

I don't need the pro features, such as the double camera, lidar, prores recording and whatnot.

FineWoven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
It all hinges on promotion for me and the price gap. If the jump from the large Air to the large Pro is <£200 then i'd just get the Pro. Any more and it would make me think twice.
Same. Having ProMotion on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook has been great and I couldn't imagine going back to 60Hz on any of them. If these are in fact the exact same panels as the current 12.9" iPad and Apple goes out of their way to strip them of the ProMotion feature just to upsell you one of the Pros, then that would go down as their pettiest move yet imo

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
If those numbers are correct it wouldn’t even be fast enough for 30 Hz. What’s the point in refreshing the screen up to 120 Hz then?
The image smudges and gets increasingly worse after 26 fps. By the time its at 120 fps, its a blur. The 120Hz function is almost pointless. Almost. The main benefit that remains is that motion blur at 120Hz still feels smoother than 60Hz. That's usually what people are remarking about when they say they love the 120Hz. Those people have never seen a gaming monitor so they don't know that 120 fps is supposed to add clarity to motion.

In 2 years we will get OLED on MacBook Pros with a pixel response that is usually less than 1 ms—and thus images will finally be smooth AND crystal clear at 120Hz—making moving and animated content easy to track. I cannot wait.

Apple TV 4K is currently capped at 60Hz but I suspect the upcoming one will support 4K @ 120Hz. My speculating—but it seems obvious that Apple is shooting MLS at 120 fps and will then stream it at 120fps via Apple TV and MacBook Pro. Sports is one obvious use case for showing off why a fast monitor matters.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
The image smudges and gets increasingly worse after 26 fps. By the time its at 120 fps, its a blur. The 120Hz function is almost pointless. Almost. The main benefit that remains is that motion blur at 120Hz still feels smoother than 60Hz. That's usually what people are remarking about when they say they love the 120Hz. Those people have never seen a gaming monitor so they don't know that 120 fps is supposed to add clarity to motion.

In 2 years we will get OLED on MacBook Pros with a pixel response that is usually less than 1 ms—and thus images will finally be smooth AND crystal clear at 120Hz—making moving and animated content easy to track. I cannot wait.

Apple TV 4K is currently capped at 60Hz but I suspect the upcoming one will support 4K @ 120Hz. My speculating—but it seems obvious that Apple is shooting MLS at 120 fps and will then stream it at 120fps via Apple TV and MacBook Pro. Sports is one obvious use case for showing off why a fast monitor matters.

You can even see an example of this with black frame insertion (or OLED Motion LG now call it) on 120hz OLED panels running 60hz content, and OLEDs are already lighting quick to begin with. The inserted alternating frame effectively eliminates the persistence of the previous frame before displaying a new one. The result is still 60hz of actual displayed content but the clarity of motion is next level.

• Love

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
You can even see an example of this with black frame insertion (or OLED Motion LG now call it) on 120hz OLED panels running 60hz content, and OLEDs are already lighting quick to begin with. The inserted alternating frame effectively eliminates the persistence of the previous frame before displaying a new one. The result is still 60hz of actual displayed content but the clarity of motion is next level.
Agreed.

I am curious how Apple will handle the sample-and-hold effect or persistence. I think modern OLED TVs allow you to adjust back into it a motion blur. Is that black frame insertion or something else? And one can control Low, Med and High, right?

This is all taken care of by the awesome image processors that LG, Samsung and Sony are using. What is Apple going to do exactly?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Agreed.

I am curious how Apple will handle the sample-and-hold effect or persistence. I think modern OLED TVs allow you to adjust back into it a motion blur. Is that black frame insertion or something else? And one can control Low, Med and High, right?

This is all taken care of by the awesome image processors that LG, Samsung and Sony are using. What is Apple going to do exactly?

That's custom settings for the frame interpolation that aims to smooth 24p content by literally creating new frames. I believe judder and blur are independently adjustable. BFI is a separate motion control and is only available with 60fps source input.

Last edited:
  • Love

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
This is something that could convince me to get an Air over the Pro. That's how important the display is.

Well, the same thing is true of the MacBooks, but probably won't be until 2030 that we see an MBA with mini-LED...

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Same. Having ProMotion on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook has been great and I couldn't imagine going back to 60Hz on any of them. If these are in fact the exact same panels as the current 12.9" iPad and Apple goes out of their way to strip them of the ProMotion feature just to upsell you one of the Pros, then that would go down as their pettiest move yet imo
I agree on both your points. I am a high refresh rate snob (love my FPS games) so 60hz is a non-starter even for productivity/desktop-like use. I also think Apple will strip out the 120hz capabiltity of these displays as they are the king of petty moves.

Reactions: FineWoven

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

Because it looks way smoother than a 60Hz screen. Unless you’re on these forums, here special rules of physics apply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.