Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Kinda want to wait for microled. Sick of big blooming, even my $4k macbook has it, though don’t get me wrong hdr still looks incredible on it.

JoshuaBru

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Ottawa Ont Canada
Does mini LED allow for always on display? Or just OLED? I’d love to have an iPad docked on my nightstand as a clock in that new standby mode and be able to grab it and surf the web, control home stuff etc when I need it. Not sure why Apple hasn’t ventured into this space yet. Googles (terrible) Pixel tablet last year was pretty cool for this central home hub idea.

FineWoven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
can't call this heavy ass thing an "air" just drop that stupid name.
Was thinking the same thing. Keep the “Air” branding for the smaller model, that’s fine. But then call the big boy something like iPad Plus. It’s more accurate marketing and is consistent with their other product lines.

Reactions: Mistercharlie

FineWoven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Well now there’s an interesting little tidbit… Hmmm if the bigger Air ends up getting the exact same display as my current M1 iPad Pro 12.9” while benefiting from a similar reduction in weight and thickness as the Pro line is supposedly getting this year, plus I’m sure some of the other features coming to the Pros, then I just may be tempted to go with the non-pro device this time around 😳

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
im glad the only media I'd ever watch on an iPad is like family guy or some other animation. don't have to worry about that.

"And no sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find...I shall kill you."

--- Stewey Griffin

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Vis-à-vis the Pro Motion being exclusive to the Pro iterations, remember this is the company that makes a MacBook Pro Not-Pro, a MacBook Pro Pro, and a MacBook Pro Max. Anything is possible with these guys in 2024. Expect the unexpected. iPad Air Pro Pro Pro??

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and 6749974

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Price will be the biggest factor for me in considering the 12.9" Air. With my base 7th gen no longer able to download new iPadOS versions due to lack of space, I'm hoping to upgrade soon. Let's get these things on the market, Apple!

gibi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
meh, it should be at least 5 years that I keep reading about the iPad OLED....now we are back to my 12.9 miniLED screen?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Well now there’s an interesting little tidbit… Hmmm if the bigger Air ends up getting the exact same display as my current M1 iPad Pro 12.9” while benefiting from a similar reduction in weight and thickness as the Pro line is supposedly getting this year, plus I’m sure some of the other features coming to the Pros, then I just may be tempted to go with the non-pro device this time around 😳
It all hinges on promotion for me and the price gap. If the jump from the large Air to the large Pro is <£200 then i'd just get the Pro. Any more and it would make me think twice.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The 12.9" iPad Air users are going to be shocked when they crack their screen and discover Apple's $750 replacement fee for 12.9" Mini LED. I've had a lot of different iPads since launch, nearly every iPhone generation since launch, and a whole lot of different laptops and MacBooks over the years. The one one I've ever broken was the 12.9", which was in a folio case, inside a special padded iPad divider, inside of a padded camera bag, after sitting in the trunk of a car (secured in the same spot) for a two hour road trip. I'm never buying a 12.9" again.
mine fell on the ground from 1m and did not break or crack (fell face down)

SweeetasCinnamon

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024

The rumored 12.9-inch iPad Air that is expected to be announced in May will be equipped with a mini-LED display like the current 12.9-inch iPad Pro, according to Ross Young, CEO of research firm Display Supply Chain Consultants. The existing 10.9-inch iPad Air is equipped with a standard LCD panel, and the move to mini-LED technology for the 12.9-inch model would provide increased brightness for HDR content, deeper blacks, and more.

iPad-Air-12.9-Inch-Feature.jpg

Young revealed this information in a post shared on social media platform X today. He said the 12.9-inch iPad Air will be using leftover mini-LED display panels from the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and he touted lower power consumption as another benefit.

Given that Apple does not have existing inventory of 10.9-inch mini-LED display panels, it is likely that the smaller iPad Air will remain equipped with an LCD panel.

Meanwhile, the next iPad Pro models are widely expected to transition to OLED displays, which would eliminate backlighting to allow for higher contrast ratio with true blacks, and provide other enhancements compared to LCD and mini-LED technologies. The new iPad Pro models are also expected to be announced in May.

Young has a solid track record with display-related Apple rumors, so this information about the iPad Air is likely accurate.

Article Link: 12.9-Inch iPad Air Now Rumored to Feature Mini-LED Display
I think it's highly dependent on the price point on whether a 12.9in Air would be more cost-effective than a refurbished 12.9in Pro. I think too many people sleep on that clearance and refurbished area.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Ehhh... After all the rumors of the M4, I don't know if I would want to upgrade now. I would be so angry if Apple pulled an iPad 3 and replaced the M3 Pro's after less than a year.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
If this is accurate probably shows the macbook air/pro roadmap too, the pros will get OLED and the airs will move to miniLED

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
they make different spec versions of computers, I don't see why they can't do the same here. they should also kill the MacBook Air... Just have iPad and iPad Pro and MacBook and MacBook Pro... with varying spec levels between them... like they used to back in the day... the air was a cool novel product in the first gen when it was remarkably light but the name just means nothing anymore
honestly I think the macbook naming makes more sense in the AS era than it did before. They beefed up the pros and lightened the airs, so now the two lines of machine are:

Air: light for light work, the consumer model
Pro: heavy for heavy work, the professional (and at the base prosumer) model

The air name conveys its core selling point beyond price: the machine is lightweight and super easily portable

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
If this is accurate probably shows the macbook air/pro roadmap too, the pros will get OLED and the airs will move to miniLED
Not gonna happen. The display panel is significantly thicker, which in turn would make the air thicker. It’s also more expensive to produce. The idea of using leftover panels for the iPad is smart, as long as they’re reasonably priced. The MacBook Air is Apples Goldilocks computer. There is no way they are going to fiddle with their most popular Mac.

Reactions: seek3r

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Who cares at this point … refurbished pros are gonna be the way to go and have been The last couple years

That is one of the things that irks me about Apple - never any sales. The new Pros and Airs are coming in less than a month, yet...will we see any price reductions or sales to blow them out? No, of course not. With Apple: maximum price always.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
meh, it should be at least 5 years that I keep reading about the iPad OLED....now we are back to my 12.9 miniLED screen?
This shouldn't come as a surprise, as the OLED iPad is supposed to be a Pro. The mini-LED rumour is for the Air.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Not gonna happen. The display panel is significantly thicker, which in turn would make the air thicker. It’s also more expensive to produce. The idea of using leftover panels for the iPad is smart, as long as they’re reasonably priced. The MacBook Air is Apples Goldilocks computer. There is no way they are going to fiddle with their most popular Mac.
Good point, didnt think about that honestly

Reactions: Royksöpp

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
i dont need the pro version of an ipad powerwise. i am fine with all other versions. but i really dislike the touchid on the non pro ipads because everytime „you are holding it wrong“.

i would like to have faceid on all devices. the diffs could be processor, storage, display, thunderbolt, speakers.
Multiuser support would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.