Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Rebel Alliance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
After picking up a new mini last Saturday (blue, 256), I was surprised to receive an email survey this week from Apple asking about me and all the reasons I chose the mini (price, form factor, 5g, availability, etc). Did these surveys go out to all new (non-mini) iPhone buyers? If this is only going out to mini owners, is this an indication that the mini sales are underperforming and that Apple missed the mark in terms of marketing the mini? I have to believe that the 2020 SE release last spring and the earlier release of the 12 cannibalized mini sales. Thoughts?

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
they do send out those surveys at random. I never got one, althou I always bought my iPhones from Apple directly.
My girlfried however got such a survey when she bought her XR two years ago.

The Rebel Alliance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Well, crap! There goes my theory. I’d never heard of these surveys before, and this is my seventh iPhone. Thanks for the replies.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
It is all random AFAIK. IMO Mini should be selling disproportionately well this year. It also has the most traction on MR this year. With respect to size, MR is not special enough to not represent the vast majority of people. In fact is greatly skewed towards larger sizes. So Mini might be selling even better than it seems on MR which already seems fantastic.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
As I understand it, iPhone 12 Mini is already a smash hit with customers and Apple is blown away by demand.

That said, many Apple customers will always strive for the best possible experience that comes only with an iPhone 12 Pro Max.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
As I understand it, iPhone 12 Mini is already a smash hit with customers and Apple is blown away by demand.

That said, many Apple customers will always strive for the best possible experience that comes only with an iPhone 12 Pro Max.
But why is availability of the mini than so good compared to the pro?

delivery time is 1 day or pickup on same day in stores. The pro released a month before still has 3 weeks.

maybe production lines can pump out more minis. But nobody knows. Why do you think the mini is a hit?

also there are quite some negative reviews about battery life and the touch problem. The pro version seems just easier to ride

Reactions: Jovijoker

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

delivery time is 1 day or pickup on same day in stores. The pro released a month before still has 3 weeks.

maybe production lines can pump out more minis. But nobody knows. Why do you think the mini is a hit?

also there are quite some negative reviews about battery life and the touch problem. The pro version seems just easier to ride
Weak battery life is the reason it isn't a bigger hit. I would have bought one for sure if I could get battery life slightly lower than the 11 Pro. But it isn't even close so far it seems based on real world users reporting their usage.

So although it might be a hit, it isn't the super hit it could be had it been 1mm thicker with a 2600+ mAh battery because Apple did its best to purposely sabotage it.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area

Yeah, the 12 Pro has the longest lead times. All other models are available to walk-in and purchase in my area Apple stores.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Apple knew the mini would sell extremely well so they made more of them.

Battery life is subjective, and I haven't seen any widespread touch problems that would hurt sales.

Reactions: snipr125

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

Battery life is subjective, and I haven't seen any widespread touch problems that would hurt sales.
Same goes for the regular 12- I see that is available for next day delivery or in-store pickup today at all 5 Apple Stores in my metro area. Seems they ever made a ton of these to be prepared, or these were not nearly as popular as the 12 Pro's, either.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I didn't get no survey either. I do think that the mini isn't selling as well as Apple thought, at least in the UK, since they're much more widely available than the other 12s. Regardless I still love my mini and I'm very happy that Apple is finally making phone-sized phones again!

My guess is that the mini sales are slower because SE and regular 6/7/8 users (i.e. potential mini buyers) tend to keep their phones longer than those wanting the biggest and latest devices. They'll eventually catch up in time, and I totally could see a 12-mini-like phone becoming the 3rd gen SE in a couple years.

appelei

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
I went to a local media store to try out all of them. I really like the size of the mini and holding it into my hand feels just as good as the SE2016 I'm using now. The mini holds much easier than the SE2020!
However the Pro Max display is just awesome to look at. Only thing it's lacking now is 120 Hz refresh rate, which is much more noticeable on a larger display. Therefore the mini is NOW a better buy for me.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

Kuo believes a shipment breakdown during the final quarter of 2020 will look something like this:

• iPhone 12 mini: 10-15%
  • iPhone 12: 30-35%
  • iPhone 12 Pro: 30-35%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max: 15-20%

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Kuo believes a shipment breakdown during the final quarter of 2020 will look something like this:

• iPhone 12 mini: 10-15%
  • iPhone 12: 30-35%
  • iPhone 12 Pro: 30-35%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max: 15-20%
Source?

And Kuo has often been wrong with sales estimates. He is bang on with spec predictions, features, products. But often wrong with sales estimates.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Source?

And Kuo has often been wrong with sales estimates. He is bang on with spec predictions, features, products. But often wrong with sales estimates.

Of course its all speculation. But kuo probably has more insight then OP.

and if production is that good for mini to pile up millions why would they release it a month later?

The Rebel Alliance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018

Of course its all speculation. But kuo probably has more insight then OP.

and if production is that good for mini to pile up millions why would they release it a month later?
OP (me) has no insight beyond personal experience and wild speculation. But after watching wait times for the 12 and 12 pro get pretty long, the availability of all the minis does seem like something is going on in terms of production or sales.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
they do send out those surveys at random. I never got one, althou I always bought my iPhones from Apple directly.
My girlfried however got such a survey when she bought her XR two years ago.
Same here re my XR.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I didn't get no survey either. I do think that the mini isn't selling as well as Apple thought, at least in the UK, since they're much more widely available than the other 12s. Regardless I still love my mini and I'm very happy that Apple is finally making phone-sized phones again!

My guess is that the mini sales are slower because SE and regular 6/7/8 users (i.e. potential mini buyers) tend to keep their phones longer than those wanting the biggest and latest devices. They'll eventually catch up in time, and I totally could see a 12-mini-like phone becoming the 3rd gen SE in a couple years.
I imagine they’re suffering from people not being able to see the mini in-store too (given that we are in lockdown in the UK) ie to see if it’s too small, or ‘just right’.

Reactions: snipr125

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Never received a survey re: an iphone purchase. and looking at my signature I've purchased 13 iphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.