Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Yes still happening for me on 14.2. Have just rebooted to see if it makes any difference.
I am on a 12 pro but a I am pretty sure I got this on my XS max before I upgraded so I think it’s an ios14 thing

Reactions: cambookpro

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Same issue here - it also occasionally goes to the multitasking card view, does that happen with others?

I have to say though this also happened on my 11 Pro. I thought it was a small hardware issue but no, also happens on my 12 Pro. Might try a clean install?

Saw one post on Apple Communities that turning off listening to Hey Siri might help. Have tried it, but not for long enough to see if it works.

991Guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
Wonder if the Pro Max will have it too. Seems like the regular 12 is free of this issue. Possibly due to the extra RAM on the Pro models?

991Guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
Same issue here - it also occasionally goes to the multitasking card view, does that happen with others?

I have to say though this also happened on my 11 Pro. I thought it was a small hardware issue but no, also happens on my 12 Pro. Might try a clean install?

Saw one post on Apple Communities that turning off listening to Hey Siri might help. Have tried it, but not for long enough to see if it works.
Yep, this is the most annoying part tbh. I can deal with a little stutter when the app closes but sometimes it stutters so much the animation is interrupted and it opens multitasking that’s what’s the most annoying

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yep, this is the most annoying part tbh. I can deal with a little stutter when the app closes but sometimes it stutters so much the animation is interrupted and it opens multitasking that’s what’s the most annoying
Just an update - doesn’t seem like turning off Hey Siri fixes it :( I’m glad I found this thread though, thought it was a very obscure bug but hopefully it affects enough people that it can be fixed with an iOS update!

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
Lets hope 14.2.1 fixes it. I do have sometimes lag when exiting a demanding application but never the stutter described in this thread. I run a Xs Max at the moment though, seems like the new iPhone 12 is more prone to this issue.

willdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Yeah okay, still doing it for me too on 14.2. It seems to have something to do with memory filling up. I didn’t see it with the dozen or so apps I regularly use yesterday and today, but when I made a point of opening some other apps I don’t normally use, it happened again more frequently.

Feels similar to memory thrashing. i.e. You close an app, but the memory for backgrounded apps is full, so it’s gotta dump older suspended apps from memory to disk, and the UI freezes up for a split second while it does this.

Now if only there were an Apple engineer whose attention we could get...

Reactions: 991Guy

Laai

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
Same issue here with 14.2. I have my Hey Siri always off, so it does not seem to be related to that. Hope it gets fixed soon, since the iphone is starting to show me the multitasking menu instead of closing apps...really annoying.

Reactions: theliellama

willdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Submitted my second feedback through that page, whatever good it’s gonna do. It hasn’t been updated to include iOS 14.2 on the drop-down, and it didn’t even have 14.1 when I submitted feedback last week, so I’m not terribly confident that form is taken seriously.

Reactions: 991Guy

Le Roi

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
Hey y'all,

I have the same issue. Sent a report to Apple, and spoke with three separate Apple reps after confirming the issue with them. Guy over the phone said that they've seen a bunch of reports with similar issues, and I sent them my personal screen recordings of the issue for their engineers to look at. I'm going to check back in with them later in the week to see what they say.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

willdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Hey y'all,

I have the same issue. Sent a report to Apple, and spoke with three separate Apple reps after confirming the issue with them. Guy over the phone said that they've seen a bunch of reports with similar issues, and I sent them my personal screen recordings of the issue for their engineers to look at. I'm going to check back in with them later in the week to see what they say.

Hope this gets fixed soon.
Oh that’s good to hear. How did you get in contact with them in order to send them a screen recording?

For what it’s worth, I do feel like the stutter occurs less on 14.2 than it did on 14.1. Not that it was intolerable before, but it’s much more tolerable now.

Le Roi

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
Oh that’s good to hear. How did you get in contact with them in order to send them a screen recording?

For what it’s worth, I do feel like the stutter occurs less on 14.2 than it did on 14.1. Not that it was intolerable before, but it’s much more tolerable now.
I spoke with them via Chat twice, after the usual stuff did not fix the issue (restarts, factory resets, etc.) they had me call someone who gave me a link to send the files to, privately.

I'm just irritated because while I'm sure it's a software issue that could potentially be patched, I don't want to run the risk of them not fixing it and being stuck with the phone past my return period.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
At least 14.2 appears to fix the issue where, if you tap mail notifications, the preview is blank.

mauijpm

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Very happy I found this thread! I thought I was losing my mind. I have a 12 pro on 14.2 with the same problem.

Reactions: Gourik31

Gourik31

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2020
Omg i was making my own thread about this, had no idea this was so common.
Havent had an iphone since iP4. Got 12 pro and right away noticed it.
I did full wipe and at the time 14.2 came out that helped allot however, i still do see the stutter from time to time.

Reactions: LFC2020

willdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Omg i was making my own thread about this, had no idea this was so common.
Havent had an iphone since iP4. Got 12 pro and right away noticed it.
I did full wipe and at the time 14.2 came out that helped allot however, i still do see the stutter from time to time.
I do find that after restarting the phone it’s good for a while, before becoming more and more noticeable over time. Feels like it happens because memory fills up from long usage. I’m kinda surprised more people aren’t complaining about it.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
I've had a similar stutter when closing apps on the iPhone 11 Pro Max for some time.. Thanks for this thread though as I was hoping it would have went away with the iPhone 12 variant..

991Guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
I do find that after restarting the phone it’s good for a while, before becoming more and more noticeable over time. Feels like it happens because memory fills up from long usage. I’m kinda surprised more people aren’t complaining about it.
Yeah, it's pretty annoying that all the youtube reviews of the iPhone 12 Pro talk about how smooth the UI is when frankly you only need to use the phone for a day to see the stuttering issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.