Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Assuming you have at least a 1080p TV
720PHD TV.
I am pretty sure that tvOS stores the Aerial Screen Savers at 4K on a ATV4K regardless of resolution of TV it is connected to. 32GB wouldn't be enough space to storage all of the Aerials.

All that said, maybe consider upgrading your TV to 4K before considering upgrading your ATV4K. You will see a dramatic difference when making the jump from 720p.

Reactions: Wheel_D

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
How do I stop downloading these screen savers?
In the screen saving settings. There are options to how often you want to download new screen savers or to turn it off completely.

But, in theory you shouldn't ever run into storage issues from just Aerial Screen Savers alone. tvOS is supposed to free up storage when it is needed by automatically deleting cached data and Aerial Screen Savers. In practice, it doesn't always work on an ATV with a lot of games stored on it, but as you said, you don't do games so this shouldn't impact you.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I am pretty sure that tvOS stores the Aerial Screen Savers at 4K on a ATV4K regardless of resolution of TV it is connected to. 32GB wouldn't be enough space to storage all of the Aerials.

All that said, maybe consider upgrading your TV to 4K before considering upgrading your ATV4K. You will see a dramatic difference when making the jump from 720p.
If only I had the money…

Reactions: Wheel_D

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
In the screen saving settings. There are options to how often you want to download new screen savers or to turn it off completely.

But, in theory you shouldn't ever run into storage issues from just Aerial Screen Savers alone. tvOS is supposed to free up storage when it is needed by automatically deleting cached data and Aerial Screen Savers. In practice, it doesn't always work on an ATV with a lot of games stored on it, but as you said, you don't do games so this shouldn't impact you.
Good. If it did what would be the error message?

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
For those of you that laugh because I don't have time for games I want to make a suggestion. Go to graduate school and play your games and don't study. The one I attended was top notch for the south and no one had time for such nonsense. Books, books, and lots and lots of reading is what you had time for the majority of time.
Phd in organic chemistry, University of Illinois at Chicago.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Phd in organic chemistry, University of Illinois at Chicago.
I went to a private school not a public school. Unless someone had an extremely high IQ the majority of graduate students did not have time for games. I remember this one fellow student this was the case with him. That guy would never miss a quiz or test question nearly the entire semester and had straight A's in every class. Very gifted academically. However he lacked charisma, leadership abilities, people skills, among other things. I doubt he could ever end up a pastor or if he did his church would not grow much. Last I heard he was working in a warehouse as a manager. What a shame all that academic talent and brains going to waste. PHD in theology and he works in a warehouse. This goes to show that its not just the ability to do well on a test that creates success.

Or the other extreme. I had a suite mate in undergrad and he was a terrible student and nearly flunked out. However he was loaded with charisma, people skills, leadership skills, and the like. He has created name for himself and speaks in front of crowds. However I knew that he would get D's on undergrad level bible and theology courses so no way would I listen to him in a crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
Why would someone that does not play games need a 128GB ATV? My 2nd gen 4K has 32GB which is fine.
Quite frankly there is NO advantage that i have seen with how i use the apple tv (streaming) between the 128 3rd gen and the 32 2nd gen. I only stream and have a 4k tv. The 128 seems a bit faster but not worth noticing. I only got the 128 since i had a family member that wanted an apple tv and i had access to the 128 for $108.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I went to a private school not a public school. Unless someone had an extremely high IQ the majority of graduate students did not have time for games. I remember this one fellow student this was the case with him. That guy would never miss a quiz or test question nearly the entire semester and had straight A's in every class. Very gifted academically. However he lacked charisma, leadership abilities, people skills, among other things. I doubt he could ever end up a pastor or if he did his church would not grow much. Last I heard he was working in a warehouse as a manager. What a shame all that academic talent and brains going to waste. PHD in theology and he works in a warehouse. This goes to show that its not just the ability to do well on a test that creates success.

Or the other extreme. I had a suite mate in undergrad and he was a terrible student and nearly flunked out. However he was loaded with charisma, people skills, leadership skills, and the like. He has created name for himself and speaks in front of crowds. However I knew that he would get D's on undergrad level bible and theology courses so no way would I listen to him in a crowd.

I'm guessing if you're saying charisma and personality are the keys to success with a PhD in organic chemistry...well you've probably not met many with PhDs in Organic Chemistry.

Full disclosure-I spent a year working toward a PhD in organic synthesis before deciding that field wasn't for me(I ended switching over to analytical chemistry and couldn't have been happier). A lot of the reason, to be perfectly honest, was my advisor. He's not a big name many have likely heard of, although you'll find his name on some papers for reactions that are now staples in undergraduate O-Chem curriculum(PCC oxidation specifically). To be a little more direct, my first advisor had done a post doc at a big Boston school in a BIG lab headed by someone who would later win a Nobel prize, has multiple reactions named after him, and is otherwise one of the BIG guys in organic chemistry. He's also had more than a few accusations of...not pleasant...working conditions in his lab, and my advisor brought a lot of that with him.

I've had a half dozen or so Chemistry Nobel Laureates in the passenger seat of my car, some for quite a bit of time. Several were very pleasant, enjoyable people to be around, The late Bob Curl was the one that really stands out, although Marty Chalfie(who's a biologist, not a chemist-that was one of the first things out of his mouth when he called me to accept an invitation to our invited speaker series) might be a close second. There were some others I'd prefer to never interact with again, although I'll spare the names(not that anyone outside the field would necessarily recognize them).

That's all drifting pretty far, though. Most people find hobbies to occupy their time, and really someone enjoying playing video games is no different from Bob Curl who I mentioned above playing Contract Bridge competitively, something he did. For that matter, posting on Macrumors is a hobby for many people as well.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I'm guessing if you're saying charisma and personality are the keys to success with a PhD in organic chemistry...well you've probably not met many with PhDs in Organic Chemistry.

Full disclosure-I spent a year working toward a PhD in organic synthesis before deciding that field wasn't for me(I ended switching over to analytical chemistry and couldn't have been happier). A lot of the reason, to be perfectly honest, was my advisor. He's not a big name many have likely heard of, although you'll find his name on some papers for reactions that are now staples in undergraduate O-Chem curriculum(PCC oxidation specifically). To be a little more direct, my first advisor had done a post doc at a big Boston school in a BIG lab headed by someone who would later win a Nobel prize, has multiple reactions named after him, and is otherwise one of the BIG guys in organic chemistry. He's also had more than a few accusations of...not pleasant...working conditions in his lab, and my advisor brought a lot of that with him.

I've had a half dozen or so Chemistry Nobel Laureates in the passenger seat of my car, some for quite a bit of time. Several were very pleasant, enjoyable people to be around, The late Bob Curl was the one that really stands out, although Marty Chalfie(who's a biologist, not a chemist-that was one of the first things out of his mouth when he called me to accept an invitation to our invited speaker series) might be a close second. There were some others I'd prefer to never interact with again, although I'll spare the names(not that anyone outside the field would necessarily recognize them).

That's all drifting pretty far, though. Most people find hobbies to occupy their time, and really someone enjoying playing video games is no different from Bob Curl who I mentioned above playing Contract Bridge competitively, something he did. For that matter, posting on Macrumors is a hobby for many people as well.
No I was talking about ministry. Charisma and personality are a key in the seeker and charismatic movements as these type of churches are not known for their study of the bible. YouTube replacing a 700 page systematic theology????

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
No I was talking about ministry. Charisma and personality are a key in the seeker and charismatic movements as these type of churches are not known for their study of the bible. YouTube replacing a 700 page systematic theology????
I shouldn't respond, but what the heck.

I'm not even sure the point you're making. At least looking at the last few hundred years, some very notable theologians who I happen to have read a decent bit of(or at least translations of) like John Calvin, C.S. Lewis, Clarence Jordan, Billy Graham, and a few others are certainly were/are both known both for their scholarship and their charisma. Lewis and Jordan are probably-in my judgement-two of the most knowledgeable scholars of the 20th century and we have the benefit of being able to listen to recordings now of them and hear first-hand how they presented their theology that's well-backed in their voluminous writings. I'm not a big fan of Albert Mohler(and I've had lunch with him...) but he's certainly an accomplished speaker and definitely very much a scholar.

So...again...I'm not entirely sure of your point, or what any of this has to do with video games...

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I shouldn't respond, but what the heck.

I'm not even sure the point you're making. At least looking at the last few hundred years, some very notable theologians who I happen to have read a decent bit of(or at least translations of) like John Calvin, C.S. Lewis, Clarence Jordan, Billy Graham, and a few others are certainly were/are both known both for their scholarship and their charisma. Lewis and Jordan are probably-in my judgement-two of the most knowledgeable scholars of the 20th century and we have the benefit of being able to listen to recordings now of them and hear first-hand how they presented their theology that's well-backed in their voluminous writings. I'm not a big fan of Albert Mohler(and I've had lunch with him...) but he's certainly an accomplished speaker and definitely very much a scholar.

So...again...I'm not entirely sure of your point, or what any of this has to do with video games...
Yes I also was not sure of your point and what your post had to do with video games as well. Chain reaction...

kirbalo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2022
Infuse hit the limit on my 64GB model, with its cache. Likely not intended behavior, but I got a 128GB when I upgraded.
Same...I have a 32GB Gen 1, two 64GB Gen 1&2, and a 128GB Gen3 ATV 4K, and with my library on InFuse, only the 32GB needs to restore the cache of movie poster metadata from scratch every time I turn it on..other than that...it works great.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Same...I have a 32GB Gen 1, two 64GB Gen 1&2, and a 128GB Gen3 ATV 4K, and with my library on InFuse, only the 32GB needs to restore the cache of movie poster metadata from scratch every time I turn it on..other than that...it works great.
Glad I don't play games.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Ethernet 100%

• Wi-Fi model - 32gb
    HDMI 2.13
    Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO
    Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology
    IR receiver
    Built-in power supply
  • Wi-Fi + Ethernet model - 128gb
    HDMI 2.13
    Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO
    Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology
    IR receiver
    Built-in power supply
    Thread networking technology4
    Gigabit Ethernet
The current models are 64gb and 128gb I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: kerr and -Gonzo-

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Yep all bar one person mentioning they keep hoping Apple Arcade will come of age there’s no mention of anyone saying they’re playing games on atv4K.
Even if Apple took Arcade more seriously, 128gb would not be enough. One Triple A game could possibly exceed the total storage of the device. Even a Mini at 256gb is probably not going to do the job, but of course you can add to it.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

Good. If it did what would be the error message?

A message pops on the screens saying:

Unable to Install "App Name"
Your device does not have enough available storage to install this app.

Reactions: jwolf6589

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
To summarise:
HD - 32GB w/ ethernet, 64GB w/ ethernet
4K 1st Gen - 32GB w/ ethernet, 64GB w/ ethernet
4K 2nd Gen - 32GB w/ ethernet, 64GB w/ ethernet
4K 3rd Gen - 64GB w/o ethernet, 128GB w/ ethernet

The 4K 3rd Gen are also 25% cheaper and 50% lighter than the previous models 👍

If you want to stick with what you have, great, if you want to upgrade and have ethernet or not, great, you do you.

I have a 4K 1st Gen and will buy the upcoming 4th Gen model with ethernet, even though to date I have never used ethernet on an Apple TV, but I suspect I might in the near future.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.