Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
For me the sole issue is the telephoto lens. There are other great things about the Pro that I’m sure I’d love, but the size and weight appear perfect on the mini. I was on an SE 2016 for years, though, and now the last year and a half on the SE 2020, and I got used to that size jump, so hesitating until I get to hold them in my hand and feel them in my pocket.

Perhaps I’ll get a mini and an external telephoto lens from Moment.

EDIT: It occurred to me I didn't complete a thought in the middle, there. There are lots of great things about the Pro. Some of them I wouldn't get on the mini. But the one thing that I would consider the Pro for is that telephoto lens. I'm sure I would enjoy the higher screen refresh rate, and I'm sure I would enjoy the macro photography and the slightly-enhanced astrophotography, and I'm sure I would appreciate the extra battery. But it's an extra $300 and significantly extra weight and size. That's the tradeoff: those things in the pursuit of the telephoto. I'm not rushing out to order the phone today, so I do have some time to think about it and go to the Apple Store and feel them in my hands.

SECOND EDIT: I also have to acknowledge why I'm upgrading in the first place. I finally want my phone to take on more of my photography load from my DSLR. Of course my current phone is fine for snapshots. And it still won't be enough when I want to kid myself that I'm doing capital-P Photography. But that in-between ground, where the art of photography isn't the point of the activity but where I still think I might get some good opportunities for some creative pictures...currently I bring my DSLR, and often times it wasn't worth it. That's where I want to switch to the iPhone. And the biggest shortfall of shooting with my phone now is good optical zoom. So that's what's "at stake" in this equation for me. HOW much will I value having that telephoto? I think I will a lot, but I don't KNOW. HOW much will I regret having a heavier phone? I think I might, but I don't KNOW.

Isn't overthinking fun? ;)

Last edited:

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
13 pro is over 200g, it´s too much for my taste.

Maybe the regular 13 is a good choice at 173g...

But hey, the 12 Mini is amazing on hands and pockets! I find myself enjoying more the size/weight than the lack of Pro cameras features. I have really good pics taken with the 12 Mini to be honest.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
For me the sole issue is the telephoto lens. There are other great things about the Pro that I’m sure I’d love, but the size and weight appear perfect on the mini. I was on an SE 2016 for years, though, and now the last year and a half on the SE 2020, and I got used to that size jump, so hesitating until I get to hold them in my hand and feel them in my pocket.

Perhaps I’ll get a mini and an external telephoto lens from Moment.

EDIT: It occurred to me I didn't complete a thought in the middle, there. There are lots of great things about the Pro. Some of them I wouldn't get on the mini. But the one thing that I would consider the Pro for is that telephoto lens. I'm sure I would enjoy the higher screen refresh rate, and I'm sure I would enjoy the macro photography and the slightly-enhanced astrophotography, and I'm sure I would appreciate the extra battery. But it's an extra $300 and significantly extra weight and size. That's the tradeoff: those things in the pursuit of the telephoto. I'm not rushing out to order the phone today, so I do have some time to think about it and go to the Apple Store and feel them in my hands.

SECOND EDIT: I also have to acknowledge why I'm upgrading in the first place. I finally want my phone to take on more of my photography load from my DSLR. Of course my current phone is fine for snapshots. And it still won't be enough when I want to kid myself that I'm doing capital-P Photography. But that in-between ground, where the art of photography isn't the point of the activity but where I still think I might get some good opportunities for some creative pictures...currently I bring my DSLR, and often times it wasn't worth it. That's where I want to switch to the iPhone. And the biggest shortfall of shooting with my phone now is good optical zoom. So that's what's "at stake" in this equation for me. HOW much will I value having that telephoto? I think I will a lot, but I don't KNOW. HOW much will I regret having a heavier phone? I think I might, but I don't KNOW.

Isn't overthinking fun? ;)
I don't think the regular pro is that much heavier, the max yes! for photography is no contest here..... same for battery and better screen. for me easy decision, I'd love a mini but it lack so much still!

Reactions: lkalliance

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
13 pro is over 200g, it´s too much for my taste.

Maybe the regular 13 is a good choice at 173g...

But hey, the 12 Mini is amazing on hands and pockets! I find myself enjoying more the size/weight than the lack of Pro cameras features. I have really good pics taken with the 12 Mini to be honest.
THIS is exactly the scenario you should NOT get the mini...

Last edited:
Reactions: xxray

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
If the pro was 5.8” like it was in the past generations, like the iPhone 10, 10S and 11, then, sure, I’d go for the pro.

However, 6,1” is too much for my hand (I hold my phone with just one hand). Even with the flat edges of the iPhone 12, it’s not quite confortable.

I’d make the mini slightly bigger, to 5.6” or even 5.8” but more than that... not impossible to use, but uncomfortable.

So I’d pick the mini size.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
THIS is exactly the scenario you should get the mini...

Yes, I agree. If I have to choose between 13 or 13 Mini, the Mini is the one I choose. They are the same phone, specs and features.

For holding a big and heavy phone, then go with the Pro and take advantage of the Pro features (if you want them).

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Yes, I agree. If I have to choose between 13 or 13 Mini, the Mini is the one I choose. They are the same phone, specs and features.

For holding a big and heavy phone, then go with the Pro and take advantage of the Pro features (if you want them).
I meant NOT get the mini, makes. no sense with the OP needs wanting a good camera etc. The pro is clearly the way to go, we have both here, hoesntly size wise, not a huge difference... the specs are no where near the same with the mini and pro....

hellojohnny

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
California
I'm trading in my iPhone 12 Mini for 13 Pro. I loved the small form factor but was disappointed with the battery life for my daily usage. I miss the larger screen, longer battery life and I want ProMotion!

I know I'm gonna be happy and satisfied with this upgrade.

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
I’m going from an iPhone 11 Pro to the 13 mini. The camera is important, but not most. The 13 mini camera looks to actually be better than the 11 Pro - 2x optical zoom for both, but mini has larger sensor, stabilization, better low light performance (47%). All I lose out camera wise is the 3x zoom, low light video, macro, and of course 120hz. I’m good with the differences because the 13 mini camera is GOOD and overall better than my 11 Pro. Add in the improved battery life and the form factor wins over. My wife has a mini 12 and has been impressive. Battery is good enough, have portable chargers etc. if need them. My daughter is likely going to the IPhone 13 pro because the camera features are important to her - and her iPhone 8 needs to go. Everyone needs to figure it out on their own.

Reactions: MacLego

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
If just got the wife a 12 mini and it’s a really nice size phone.
Think I could go for something that size for a next phone, would pair nicely if you also have an iPad.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
After WAY too much overthinking and indecision, I've decided I'm going with the 13 Pro over the 13 Mini.

I just went to the Apple Store again, and the Mini started to feel cramped and smaller than I remembered it. It reminded me of when I downsized from the 7+ to the 7 and regretted it 6 months later because the small screen and battery got very frustrating over time. I just have a better track record with larger phones anyways.

I've been using MacRumors' tool to see how the Mini would look throughout my normal day today in different locations/positions I use my phone in, and there were a few times where I was like "wow, that's really small." I also am scared to have such a small screen for video consumption (though I don't watch videos on my phone often besides TikTok) and for driving navigation.

I also can't seem to stop thinking about how if I were to get the Mini, I would have waited 3 years and would be spending hundreds of dollars and still wouldn't get all of the latest and greatest features - especially two features I really wanted: ProMotion and significantly better battery life. I'm very glad that Apple didn't give exclusive features to the Pro Max model this year.

Furthermore, I don't really like any of the colors of the Mini, and yet the 12/13 Pro/Max in Gold is the best looking iPhone of all time for me. I really didn't want to miss out on that in case Apple doesn't sell the color/design next year. I already have regretted not getting my XS Max in gold for the past three years years now.

So yeah, here I am. I feel bad that I'm not "supporting" the Mini by buying it, because I am really glad Apple has it as an option, but I guess my feelings don't really matter if I keep buying big phones anyways, right?

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Those are 2 completely different phones aimed at 2 completely different users. If you're a heavy user, somebody who uses their phone for more than just calling and texting, you're probably going to have issues with the Mini battery.
What a crazy take. The 12 mini battery is on par with or better than the battery life in any iPhone (certainly any non-plus model) prior to the 11 series. Do people with iPhone 6, 7, 8, X, Xs, SE, etc have issues if they do anything more than call and text?

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I am in the same boat. i want the mini in every way from a form factor perspective. The cinematic filming stuff isn’t really a concern for me. The only hang up I have is the better zoom on the pro. I’m having my first child in February. I hear better zoom is a factor for kiddos. I’ll get a solid digital camera, but as they say the camera you have when you need it is the one who you shoot with. Anyone with an opinion? I’m all ears!

Reactions: xpxp2002

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I am in the same boat. i want the mini in every way from a form factor perspective. The cinematic filming stuff isn’t really a concern for me. The only hang up I have is the better zoom on the pro. I’m having my first child in February. I hear better zoom is a factor for kiddos. I’ll get a solid digital camera, but as they say the camera you have when you need it is the one who you shoot with. Anyone with an opinion? I’m all ears!

Stretch your arm and you have the zoom…

Is your first kid, even a photo with the iPhone 4 is going to be amazing.

In fact if the phone falls over your new born, better get the mini ?

iPhone is a mature product, I have amazing pics since the iphone 11. And I have tons of great memories taken with the 12 mini.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
After WAY too much overthinking and indecision, I've decided I'm going with the 13 Pro over the 13 Mini.

There's no such thing as too much overthinking! Unless you're in a situation where--no, that wouldn't happen. Or would it? What about on Thursdays? Hmmmm...I'll have to get back to you on this.

I just went to the Apple Store again, and the Mini started to feel cramped and smaller than I remembered it. It reminded me of when I downsized from the 7+ to the 7 and regretted it 6 months later because the small screen and battery got very frustrating over time. I just have a better track record with larger phones anyways.

That's some good self-awareness. I came from the other direction: I hung on to my SE 2016 for four years, hoping the next SE, if it ever came, would maintain that size. When the SE 2020 came out, I nervously upgraded, and within two days I was used to the size, just like everyone here said I would be. So now when I pick up my partner's SE 2016, it feels cramped! And...I cannot believe I am typing this...when I picked up the 12 mini in an Apple Store IT FELT CRAMPED IN MY HAND TOO! WTF????

So part of me thinks that it should be no problem to upsize to the 13 Pro. I mean, it's not the Pro Max. But still, that would be the biggest iPhone chassis I'd ever used or carried around. At some point it's going to feel too big to me, right? Right?

I also can't seem to stop thinking about how if I were to get the Mini, I would have waited 3 years and would be spending hundreds of dollars and still wouldn't get all of the latest and greatest features...

Embrace the FOMO. The occasional hyperventilation really keeps your lung passageways clear.

Furthermore, I don't really like any of the colors of the Mini, and yet the 12/13 Pro/Max in Gold is the best looking iPhone of all time for me. I really didn't want to miss out on that in case Apple doesn't sell the color/design next year. I already have regretted not getting my XS Max in gold for the past three years years now.

What's funny is I loved the deep blue of the 12 series, but that would be gone now. It's been a long while since new iPhones came in a color I was excited about. Back in the day I was in love with my blue 5c. But then I went without a case. Now I use cases because of camera bumps and less comfortable edges, so I guess I've moved on. But I would like a color that I would be tickled by. Sierra blue looks really cool, actually.

So yeah, here I am. I feel bad that I'm not "supporting" the Mini by buying it, because I am really glad Apple has it as an option, but I guess my feelings don't really matter if I keep buying big phones anyways, right?

You know, for years I've watched Apple users being called "sheep" as if we were just taking direction mindlessly from Cupertino. I've thought that was terribly insulting, actually, which was the point I'm sure. But I know what you mean about wanting to support a product line, I've felt the same way, and...BAA! Darn it. I do stuff like that all the time: go to independent booksellers and restaurants and the like, because I want to help them succeed. But Apple doesn't need that from me.

Still don't know how much overthinking is too much. I'll have to sit with that a while.

Reactions: xxray

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
There's no such thing as too much overthinking! Unless you're in a situation where--no, that wouldn't happen. Or would it? What about on Thursdays? Hmmmm...I'll have to get back to you on this.

That's some good self-awareness. I came from the other direction: I hung on to my SE 2016 for four years, hoping the next SE, if it ever came, would maintain that size. When the SE 2020 came out, I nervously upgraded, and within two days I was used to the size, just like everyone here said I would be. So now when I pick up my partner's SE 2016, it feels cramped! And...I cannot believe I am typing this...when I picked up the 12 mini in an Apple Store IT FELT CRAMPED IN MY HAND TOO! WTF????

So part of me thinks that it should be no problem to upsize to the 13 Pro. I mean, it's not the Pro Max. But still, that would be the biggest iPhone chassis I'd ever used or carried around. At some point it's going to feel too big to me, right? Right?

Embrace the FOMO. The occasional hyperventilation really keeps your lung passageways clear.

What's funny is I loved the deep blue of the 12 series, but that would be gone now. It's been a long while since new iPhones came in a color I was excited about. Back in the day I was in love with my blue 5c. But then I went without a case. Now I use cases because of camera bumps and less comfortable edges, so I guess I've moved on. But I would like a color that I would be tickled by. Sierra blue looks really cool, actually.

You know, for years I've watched Apple users being called "sheep" as if we were just taking direction mindlessly from Cupertino. I've thought that was terribly insulting, actually, which was the point I'm sure. But I know what you mean about wanting to support a product line, I've felt the same way, and...BAA! Darn it. I do stuff like that all the time: go to independent booksellers and restaurants and the like, because I want to help them succeed. But Apple doesn't need that from me.

Still don't know how much overthinking is too much. I'll have to sit with that a while.

Haha, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who feels a bit cramped on the mini. I think the Pro still is a large device, and definitely a pretty big jump up from the SE. Are you considering upgrading to it, especially with the Sierra Blue, or are you happy with your SE? Or waiting for a color that makes you even more excited?

Yeah, I think embracing the FOMO will save me long-term. Fair enough about supporting the mini/product line. Just wish Apple kept the option around.

Thanks for the input and your opinions. :)

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Does the mini display the same amount of information as larger iPhones, or does it display less with things like websites and Reddit?

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
We had our first kid March 13, 2020, so I feel qualified to chime in here. We also have a nice DSLR, but far and away the most pictures of our daughter came from our phones because they were close, so you’re 100% right there.

I have an iPhone X and my wife has an 11…there is a significant and noticeable difference in quality between the two, but a huge chunk of it is low-light performance. We found that most of our pictures happened indoors (during quarantine) and in less-than-ideal light, so if I were to do it all again I would have swapped my X for a Pro with the larger sensor. I never would have thought of needing a zoom lens, you can’t get very far away from a newborn for pretty much any reason. We were always plenty close. Now that she’s 18 months she’s getting more mobile and zoom may start to matter.

So thinking of your situation, honestly the 13 mini and pro will both take great low-light photos. You will probably notice the form-factor difference far more than any difference in photo quality. Hope this helps, and congratulations on your first!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm getting the mini. I am a runner and it's hard enough to find shorts with pockets let alone large pockets. I want a small phone with light weight after using an iPhone 7+ for so long. This looks like the last year for the mini so I'll go with it. Everything will be an upgrade from a five-year-old phone.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I can't wait to get the 13 mini and sell my 12pro. The weight has bothered me from day one. It literally gives me hand/wrist pain. And good riddance tele photo lense. I never use it, the pics it makes aren't great.

Reactions: vseera

dexmoody

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2021
Been contemplating this question for a while.

I'm currently using an iPhone 7 and think the size (and weight) is perfect for me. I'm concerned about not being able to use the larger size of the 13 Pro as comfortably as the 7. Rationally speaking, I know I should probably choose the Mini because it's such a massive upgrade over what I'm currently using that I'll be impressed no matter what. I'm not a heavy user, so I'm not even stressing about the lower battery life of the Mini.

But it's the first time in five years that I will be upgrading, and I feel like I really want to treat myself to the best phone with the most advanced features. Especially the Telephoto lens, the overall better camera system and the new screen with adaptive refresh.

So I've decided to stop overthinking it and just order the 13 Pro directly from Apple. If I don't like the size or weight, I'll return if within the first couple of weeks and switch to the Mini.

So really it's a no risk decision, and two weeks is plenty to make a call I think.

Last edited:

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I'm getting the mini. I am a runner and it's hard enough to find shorts with pockets let alone large pockets. I want a small phone with light weight after using an iPhone 7+ for so long. This looks like the last year for the mini so I'll go with it. Everything will be an upgrade from a five-year-old phone.
I think an Apple Watch with cellular is better for your situation. And you can get a Pro for the battery, screen and cameras.

Reactions: DanTSX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.