Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
When not shooting raw it'll combine 4 pixels into one to gather more light or crop for a 2x simulated telephoto lens.
Yeah… I’ll be shooting in ProRAW. Always do. As I mentioned, if you aren’t a photographer, you really don’t need to upgrade from the 13 pro / pro max, unless it’s for the software and appearance of the 14 pro / pro max. I’m upgrading specially for the camera. 12mp has been around for too long!

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
I upgrade every day. I just buy the base 128gb version now. Apple gives $720 trade in (it was $780 last year) plus gives u taxes backs. ($50). So I will get around $770 total credit applied towards $1100 iphone pro max

So $1099

The cost to use the iPhone pro max is roughly $300 a year.

I write off the entire $1200 purchase (business expense). Cause I own my own business. So it’s really “free” for me after tax deductions to get new phone every year.
The trade in for 128 14 pro is only 600 max..

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
This is a no brainer since AT&T is offering $1,000 for trade in. I alternate and give my mother and my mother in law my 1 year old phone and take theirs for trade in.

2020 - iPhone X traded in for 12PM on my own plan
2021 - 12PM to mom, get 13PM, traded her XS in
2022 - 13PM to MIL, get 14PM, trade 12PM in
2023 - (Hopefully) 14PM to mom, get 15PM, trade 13PM in

As long as they keep offering $1000 for trade in, the cost to upgrade annually is minimal even counting my monthly bill
curious why MIL vs your wife? or mom

I wouldn't be doing that with my MIL. They can get their own iphones

Reactions: PirateP

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
curious why MIL vs your wife? or mom

I wouldn't be doing that with my MIL. They can get their own iphones
Good question, wife doesn't like the bigger size so she gets her own. MIL takes care of the two kiddos so it's sort of a gesture of appreciation even though I keep the newer phone.

Reactions: aenflex

Ides of March

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Where the bullet comes....
I like the Dynamic Island seems pretty cool, not so much the always on screen. Doesn’t take much to tap a screen. I feel like every iteration of the IPhone will have a better camera.And I assume the dynamic island is here to stay. But I love my 13 pro max and don’t plan on upgrading for a long time. I’m sure they are already planning on new things for the 15 lol. But I can see the appeal of the 14 for some. Not everyone

Reactions: BigMcGuire

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I used my XS Max all these years up until last month when I got the 13 Pro Max. I plan on using this another 4 years especially since it has a physical SIM card slot.
That is definitely a good reason to not switch. I also won't switch if they ever go portless.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
So I gave in (no surprise) and ordered a 14 Pro Max. Here is my thinking:

- Is there any real reason to upgrade from a 13 Pro Max? Nope, its still an awesome phone, it has crazy battery life, a great screen, takes great photos, and does everything an iPhone should do and does it well.

- So then why upgrade? I upgrade every year (except x->xS). I’m 49 years old, I‘m a single dad with 3 boys, I work hard, and having the newest technology every year makes me happy. It gives me something to learn, to explore and to have fun using. Simple as that.
Same for me including age but just one daughter. That's the only big thing I get regularly. No car stuff no alcohol. Only laptop/TV if it breaks.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Yea I’m staying with my 13 Pro, I had AOD years ago on work issued Androids, it’s not something I ever felt I missed TBH. I would not turn it off, but when you have the Watch - it’s kinda redundant.

Looking forward to the 15 Pro - might go Max mainly due to using my phone with my DJI drone.

But still very happy indeed with my 13 Pro Sierra Blue. It’s been a true champ since launch day, and still got 100% battery, which is pretty incredible really. And I’m not babying it, it sits on a wireless charger all night. The phone held up well too, I’ve dropped it a couple of times, on concrete even, and sure the stainless steel is a bit rough, but apart from that it’s 100%. No case, no screen protector.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
As a 13 ProMAX owner that satellite feature is nice. But is anyone making the switch? If so why ?
well....if you are on AT&T you should get the 14 PM as the newly deployed 3.45GHz 5G spectrum needs the x65 modem that is in the 14 PM.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Yes, I upgraded from a 13 Pro Max as part of the iPhone Upgrade Program. I take a lot of pictures and video so the yearly camera improvements are worth it to me. The Always On and Dynamic Island are cool too along with slightly brighter screen. Satellite connectivity is just cool even though I hope to never need it. (I’m rarely out of cell tower range. I even get anxious if I get too far from a Best Buy or Starbucks 🤓)

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
So cheap with ATT

Attachments

• FE0844CC-EE10-4EE5-8A86-8E579540E975.png
    FE0844CC-EE10-4EE5-8A86-8E579540E975.png
    356.9 KB · Views: 71

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
well....if you are on AT&T you should get the 14 PM as the newly deployed 3.45GHz 5G spectrum needs the x65 modem that is in the 14 PM.

Yeah but the coverage of deployed 3.45GHz is not significant it’s maybe less than 1% of their coverage map nationally

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I did this upgrade and absolutely no regrets. Here’s my reasons that I can think of.

1. The better camera was a big factor for me. I’m always taking a picture of a plant, insect or something and I find that I wish my camera was just a little bit better and captured more detail. I don’t mean that specifically to the 14, but just phone cameras in general. Any improvement is always welcome.

2. The dynamic island was probably too much of a factor because it does become pretty much unnoticeable like the notch. I suspect in the future when more apps start supporting functions, it’ll become more useful.

3. Crash detection. I’m incapacitated it’s nice to know my phone will call for help. Yes I realize that’s an unlikely scenario but one where it could save my life so I think it’s important.

4. No physical SIM tray was another thing I really liked. For me it’s just another spot that water can seep in. I appreciate that Apple goes with the new tech early.

5. I think color was a factor too because I really like the classic look of silver and white. I don’t know why I care since it’s going to be in a case.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Having watched the camera reviews of the 14 Pro I am surprised the results are not clearly better than last years 13 Pro. Even with the 48 megapixel sensor the differences are so subtle. Sharpness is slightly better in certain scenarios but for anyone with a 13 Pro, you’re not missing out much this year by keeping your phone by the looks.

Dynamic island is a clever marketing tool this year I think. A lower notch with some very clever animations to make a feature out of it and ultimately make the user accept its there is a masterstroke by Apple I think.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Yeah but the coverage of deployed 3.45GHz is not significant it’s maybe less than 1% of their coverage map nationally
I guess it's my OCD kicking in but after I spent a lot of money for me on the 13 PM it would bother me to have a almost brand new device that could not function on parts of a carrier's spectrum.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I am a little surprised that no reviewers are mentioning the slightly narrower body on the 14 pro max. I think that is a real plus.

Reactions: yaboid01

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Buy the iPhone that you want and enjoy.
Honestly at this point, people should be doing what works best for them, if upgrading every year is your thing, do it, life is short, enjoy this thing!

I’m thoroughly enjoying my 13 Pro Max it’s more powerful than I need a phone to be and it does all that I want to do on it incredibly well.
If the 14 Pro Max is a worthwhile upgrade for you get it and enjoy it, looking at the reviews Apple have knocked it out the park as per usual.
You cannot go wrong if something works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.