Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mettaman

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2018
Same issue with my Mini. I needed a news break. But, when I jump back in I'm hoping there will be a fix.

wildwolf1

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
15.1 appears to have broken the podcast integration on HomePods. OG And Minis now can’t play the latest news if you ask Siri to play the latest news. They both say "Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Podcasts." Tried restarting and it doesn't resolve the issue. I can't find any settings in the Home app that relates to the Podcast app. Playing music works fine.

Edit: I removed and re-added one of my OG HomePods. Still not working. I may try the nuclear option and remove all 6 devices (2 OG, 4 minis) completely and then re-add them but dont have the time right now.

Edit2: I contacted Apple support and after doing some troubleshooting they ended up submitting a ticket for Apple Engineering to take a look. He speculated it may be tied to Siri permissions on the Homepod. I have a follow-up call next week Monday 11/1/21.

Edit3: So this magically fixed itself overnight - I didn't do anything to resolve it. All 6 homepods are still showing version 15.1 still, not 15.1.1 or anything. Weird

Edit4: Ok I was only partially right. It fixed itself on my office OG homepod, the kitchen OG homepod, but none of my 4 mini's work still.
Same issue here with my HomePod Mini after going to 15.1. Tried restarting but didn't help.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Also having this issue on my minis. Says there is an issue with podcasts right now or something like that. Glad it’s not just me, will wait for an update to fix.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
For those having this issue, are you noticing any other error messages? For example when I use siri on any homepods (even on my 2 OG's that work with podcasts) and say "turn the volume all the way down" she usually responds with "something went wrong - ok I turned it down"

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
For those having this issue, are you noticing any other error messages? For example when I use siri on any homepods (even on my 2 OG's that work with podcasts) and say "turn the volume all the way down" she usually responds with "something went wrong - ok I turned it down"
Yes. I also have ’there is nothing available with that name’ and then it sets the scene anyway

JakubWrobel

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2020
Hmm...can't say I have. Have had success playing iTunes Match and local radio stations, can control volume with no errors and the HomePod/Siri is responsive to my requests. Granted, I don't use it very often nor do I use it for intricate requests, but I've not seen such errors, just the Podcasts.

Spocky

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
My HomePod and HomePod mini stopped playing news after the latest update, tried resetting them and few other troubleshooting measures but nothing worked. Everything else works fine, Apple Music, hands off, weather, radio etc, the only thing that broke was apple podcast integration.

I got hold of the engineering team on phone and they did some troubleshooting over the phone and logged a bunch of data and said it’s a bug and has been escalated. They said they will get back in 3 days.
Have you heard back from Apple?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The anticipation after Siri says, "...and now..." after it tells me the weather and my daily schedule kills me...hah!

Still nothing from my HomePod minis. Hoping for an update today in case 15.2 beta 2 shows up for iOS.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Updating now, will post how it goes!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
My "daily update" is still broken and stops at, "and now..." without going into the NPR News like it used to. HomePod Minis are updated to 15.1.1 and I did a restart as well. Any other suggestions or is this working for everyone but me?

Spocky

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
My "daily update" is still broken and stops at, "and now..." without going into the NPR News like it used to. HomePod Minis are updated to 15.1.1 and I did a restart as well. Any other suggestions or is this working for everyone but me?
Same for me. Stops at 'and now'.

JakubWrobel

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2020
Everything is working fine. Even fixed an issue of "buffering" while playing local radio stations. The station would play normally, then stop, resume, but at a lower audio quality, then play again at normal quality. This would repeat every 3-5 minutes.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Using "What's my update?" my update stops at the news point/PodCast with "and now....". When I simply ask "What's the latest news?", it works fine.
Same here. Curious if anyone has found a method to fix. Otherwise I guess will have to wait for another update. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.