Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Wow!

This is totally crazy. Intel has officially stopped innovating.

My 2 year old Mid 2012 Retina MacBoook Pro 2.6 has a GeekBench score higher than the new 2.2GHz entry model - 11,591

Two years used to be an eternity in CPU development. There was the myth that performance would double every 18 months. That has now, apparently, ended, and we are stuck with improvements so small that the the top model from 2 years ago is faster than today's entry level notebook (not that any MBP is cheap by the way).

I also have 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD. I guess the good news is, there's absolutely no reason to upgrade.

They stopped focusing on pure power and they focused on power efficient. Also, no, it's that the number of transistors will double every 18 months. There is a difference.

wrightc23

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
They stopped focusing on pure power and they focused on power efficient. Also, no, it's that the number of transistors will double every 18 months. There is a difference.

Exactly, truth is there isn't a huge performance boost going from sandy bridge to ivy bridge to haswell and soon to be broadwell. What each generation offers is significantly improved efficiency for the equivalent performance.

We're too hung up on spec's particularly cpu's, a computer is as quick as it's slowest component typically your storage device.

My 17" MBP and Dell 4600 feel every bit as snappy as the latest generation CPU MBP I have.

1k9

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2014
Ok I can't wait any longer, my PC quit,
I'm going to order the New MacBook Pro 15 retina factory top of the line, I'm will be using it a lot for photo editing,
My question is how beneficial would it be to upgrade from 2.5 to 2.8?? And is it worth the extra money?I've already placed an order but wold change it if it's beneficial ...

Anybody please advise

Any opinion?

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
By this, do you mean ship a laptop with a CPU that is 10% faster? The benchmarks are only 8% faster. Whoopee, what's their secret?

"Best product pipeline in 25 years!" That quote will haunt him...

TiberioG

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
After my macbook pro 17" 2.3ghz 8gb 2011 has died I need to buy a new one and it seems to me that now it's the right time.

I would like buy the 15" 2.5 500gb but is worth to pay 200$ more for 300Mhz more?
I will use it for photoshop and lightroom .

The gpu of these new mid 2014 is the same of the late 2013 so can anyone tell me if the 750M suffers of the same issue of the 2011 AMDs?

I will buy it in US but I'm italian so i need the italian keyboard, do you think it's possible to remove my old 2011 macbook's keys and put them into the new one?

I will miss the ethernet and the 3 USB of my old 17"

TiberioG

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
The 2820qm of my 2011 mbp has 8M cache
And now the cpu of these mid-2014 only 6M cache.

How can you explain that? Cache is important, maybe more than few mhz!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The 2820qm of my 2011 mbp has 8M cache
And now the cpu of these mid-2014 only 6M cache.

How can you explain that? Cache is important, maybe more than few mhz!

Also important: cache latency, primary/secondary cache latency and speed ratios, memory access time, cache organization, cache block structure, cache coherency protocol, memory pipeline depth, clock speed, etc. You can't reach a conclusion based on that one number.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
It's not a flaw it's physics. Something you clearly lack understanding in.

Yes, it's a conscious design choice that I see as a flaw by Apple. They should have long supported the spec to it's configuration of 4 x 8GB configurations.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
When will the next refresh of the rMBP's be?

Most likely the first half of next year, which is when Intel forecasts it will be able to ship the next chip generation, commonly called Broadwell.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It's not a flaw it's physics. Something you clearly lack understanding in.

I disagree with him, but he understands. He's a bright guy. He is saying apple should have made a different engineering tradeoff. For example, trade thickness for more ram slots.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Not sure you are talking about 13" or 15". If 15, I'd definitely get the new one, for one they come standard with 16GB RAM. That makes more of a difference than raw CPU speed.

Although - video encoding is actually one of the very few things that needs a fast CPU.

I wanted the 13" 8GB/512GB mainly because of budget, so as I've read many times that I'm basically deciding over needing .2Ghz or not.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Then it wouldn't be as small, thin, and you wouldn't have the battery life you have.

The logic board would have to be bigger. That makes the battery size smaller. Bigger logic boards produce more heat so now you need bigger fans. Now your laptop is thicker.

Look at any laptop that is thin and none of them support 32GB of RAM unless it's 2x 16GB SODIMMS. Edit: Which don't exist by the way. Just because it says it supports 32GBs of RAM that doesn't mean it can currently.

I disagree with him, but he understands. He's a bright guy. He is saying apple should have made a different engineering tradeoff. For example, trade thickness for more ram slots.

----------

I want a 3 qubit quantum computer. It'll make your computer look like an antique x86 computer with 1mhz processor and 128kb of RAM.

You are so easily pleased; that's so cute. Wake me up when they offer a 17" rMBP model with... well more than everything in my signature below...

:cool:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Then it wouldn't be as small, thin, and you wouldn't have the battery life you have.

The logic board would have to be bigger. That makes the battery size smaller. Bigger logic boards produce more heat so now you need bigger fans. Now your laptop is thicker.

Look at any laptop that is thin and none of them support 32GB of RAM unless it's 2x 16GB SODIMMS. Edit: Which don't exist by the way. Just because it says it supports 32GBs of RAM that doesn't mean it can currently.

Right. That's the point. Apple made engineering tradeoffs. He is saying he would prefer different tradeoffs. He is willing to trade thickness for ram. Someone else may be willing to accept more weight in exchange for higher TDP. There is nothing inherently wrong with these other tradeoffs, but apple is entitled to make the ones they want.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Exactly, truth is there isn't a huge performance boost going from sandy bridge to ivy bridge to haswell and soon to be broadwell. What each generation offers is significantly improved efficiency for the equivalent performance.

We're too hung up on spec's particularly cpu's, a computer is as quick as it's slowest component typically your storage device.

My 17" MBP and Dell 4600 feel every bit as snappy as the latest generation CPU MBP I have.

I would buy that. If the battery life was much better. But, it isn't. The new retina MBPs have 8 hours of battery life. My 2012 rMBP also has 8 hours of battery life.

So I remain where I was: Intel has stopped innovating, the pace of innovation is WAY down.

I am well aware that your computer is usually slowed down by things not the CPU, namely I/O. Remains true. And I guess the latest MBPs have a much better SSD, a significant improvement to the already-fast SSD in my 2012. But that has nothing to do with processor development.

One reason might be that Intel just doesn't care as much - people don't need faster CPUs, by and large. I do, but that's only because I develop with Xcode which is ridiculously slow. :p

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I saw the charts and it still pretty much the same performance relatively speaking.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I want a 3 qubit quantum computer. It'll make your computer look like an antique x86 computer with 1mhz processor and 128kb of RAM.

Good, another person who wishes like he means it. The world needs more of us!

----------

By this, do you mean ship a laptop with a CPU that is 10% faster? The benchmarks are only 8% faster. Whoopee, what's their secret?

Percentages compound. In opposition to my prior comments, your "only 8% faster" on a modern processor of last month is actually an order of magnitude faster than 8% would be on a processor of just 5 years ago. And 5 years ago we were still talking about 8% here and 8% there.

We should all stop whining about "incremental improvements" because that's the world we live in and it works in spite of our whining anyway. Enjoy being alive in this time, because it's truly amazing.

That said, I still want my octocore mobile CPU, Intel. Pretty please! :p

teoreticar

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
what is processor model for this mac-book

2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

I need like processor model number.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
worth the upgrade from a Mid 2012 MBPr 15" 16GB/512?
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

to the:
2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.