Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
You are so easily pleased; that's so cute. Wake me up when they offer a 17" rMBP model with... well more than everything in my signature below...

:cool:

If I were an HP/Lenovo/Asus etc. engineer or manager I would build a laptop for pro users using the same Wi-Fi/bluetooth/Audio module of a macbook pro and CPU/GPU more powerful than the apple ones but still compatible with OS X, when the hackintosh community will discover that this computer is 100% hackintoshable, a lot of power users will buy it.

I dream it 17"/18", heavy and fully upgradable (ram, pcie ssd, wi-fi..) with also a desktop base with more interfaces and dvd and water cooling.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
If I were an HP/Lenovo/Asus etc. engineer or manager I would build a laptop for pro users using the same Wi-Fi/bluetooth/Audio module of a macbook pro and CPU/GPU more powerful than the apple ones but still compatible with OS X, when the hackintosh community will discover that this computer is 100% hackintoshable, a lot of power users will buy it.

I dream it 17"/18", heavy and fully upgradable (ram, pcie ssd, wi-fi..) with also a desktop base with more interfaces and dvd and water cooling.

So if you were an HP/Lenovo/Asus engineer or manager you would spend a lot of money engineering a system with a sales cap far less than Apple's entire (and very small) Mac market share? Doesn't seem like a good way to stay employed.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Guys

do we know if the the just announced mid2014 refresh has different panels or the same LG and Samsung again (again I mean to early2013 version as I cannot find info anywhere on the net if they did change those when late2013 refresh came around)?

I am just worried they haven't been changed and still have ghosting/burn in problems and yellow tint problems.

I don't wanna be spending 2.5k on a laptop which is not top quality.
Not to mention:
-fan issues (random activation, speeding and so on)
-graphics problems (freezing, crashing)
-battery life problems
that early 2013 versions were bugged with (again, not sure if Apple resolve any of these issues while doing late 2013 refresh).

plz advise
thx
Damn I just ordered a 13" I seriously hope it doesn't suffer from such issues... If anyone can shed more light on this it would be nice....

TiberioG

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
So if you were an HP/Lenovo/Asus engineer or manager you would spend a lot of money engineering a system with a sales cap far less than Apple's entire (and very small) Mac market share? Doesn't seem like a good way to stay employed.

When it comes to create an hackintosh the only problem is the audio, lan, wi-fi, Bluetooth modules, nowadays all CPU are compatible with OS X and there is a large choice when it comes to choose a GPU, so, as I see, a non-Apple producer should produce a family of laptops with the right components, and a computer like that, could still be bought by windows users, if it's designed well.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Also important: cache latency, primary/secondary cache latency and speed ratios, memory access time, cache organization, cache block structure, cache coherency protocol, memory pipeline depth, clock speed, etc. You can't reach a conclusion based on that one number.

Yes of course there is no point comparing a old sandy bridge CPU with a new haswell but in the current haswell line there are processors with 8mb of cache.
Why Apple doesn't use now the best CPU produced by intel considered that in 2011 the 2820qm was one if the best (i7 extreme incluse)?
As I always say: bigger is better!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Highly annoyed they didn't stick the 850M in there. The card has been out for several months now. They just want to make it a bigger deal for the full refresh in Summer 2015.

Before any of you comment protecting Apple - the 850M is similar in size and more efficient than the 750M.

They want to put in an 850 with Broadwell so they can advertise better battery life - especially since broadwell will eat up 30% less battery. So it's a win win for them.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Just for 32GB of RAM that you'll never make use of? I think that's silly.

Right. That's the point. Apple made engineering tradeoffs. He is saying he would prefer different tradeoffs. He is willing to trade thickness for ram. Someone else may be willing to accept more weight in exchange for higher TDP. There is nothing inherently wrong with these other tradeoffs, but apple is entitled to make the ones they want.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Just for 32GB of RAM that you'll never make use of? I think that's silly.

So did Apple.

But I can see lots of use for 32GB of RAM in a desktop-replacement type system, for engineers and such. Certainly when I was designing chips my systems needed at least that much memory.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I'm running a Macbook Late '09 with 8GB upgraded RAM and new battery, HD is still stock. Lately been doing 2.7k videos from my GoPro and my Macbook can't handle it at all. Also watching Netflix or anything at 1080p while working on schoolwork tends to make everything lag, so I suppose it's time for a new one.

Is the ME866LL/A (8GB/512MB rMBP, Late 2013) worth getting since the price just dropped at Best Buy, or go for this years model, or just wait until next year for the sake of being on the "next generation"?
Yes it's worth buying a Macbook Pro right now because the refreshes aren't that great. IMO stick with a 2012 refurb with a Nvidia GPU if you plan to do any gaming or else do ahead and buy the low-end late 2013 model.

----------

worth the upgrade from a Mid 2012 MBPr 15" 16GB/512?
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

to the:
2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
It'll encode movies slightly faster and be a little better at gaming but Nope not worth the cost.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Ya those are workstation laptops with quadro graphics cards. Those are made just Apple isn't competing for that market share.

So did Apple.

But I can see lots of use for 32GB of RAM in a desktop-replacement type system, for engineers and such. Certainly when I was designing chips my systems needed at least that much memory.

TRDGT4Writer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2014
Classified
Wake me up when they update the graphics card.

I'm hoping it will have either a 8GB Nvidia 800-series or at this rate, the 900-series. I hope they don't low spec it as they did with the 650M. I read further that there was a 2GB version and I was mad yet happy that they put Nvidia back in the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.