Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
We don't advocate for free healthcare for illegal immigrants. We want free healthcare for American citizens. And we won't mind paying higher taxes if we wind up saving thousands in the end because of Medicare For All.

Stop watching Fox News. They are LYING TO YOU, just like our pathological liar of a president.

I’m confused, all the dem candidates support healthcare for undocumented people https://khn.org/morning-breakout/al...ves-no-favors-when-millions-cant-access-care/

Reactions: PC_tech

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Everyone: Apple products are expensive!
Trump: Hold my beer.
Apple products were expensive well before a 15% tariff on less than 40% of the retail cost of an Apple Watch. That’s less than a 6% increase in the retail price of the watch if current $ margins, currently above 60%, remain constant. In other words, the retail price could be held constant if Apple were to be just 10% less greedy. And, for that price, Apple could help do something about Chinese trade corruption and currency exchange rate manipulation. Better, Apple could move production to avoid the tariff.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
More like and incredibly clueless and childish reply :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1567358622][/doublepost]
Have you forgotten how many lawsuits over the years Apple alone was involved in over the years?

It's not about Apple. It's about China cheating Apple and America.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
It's not about Apple. It's about China cheating Apple and America.
Not everyone in China cheats but when Trump applies tariffs on every and pretty much all items coming in from China that falls into the "Brush with a broad paint brush" category ;)

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
Apple products were expensive well before a 15% tariff on less than 40% of the retail cost of an Apple Watch. That’s less than a 6% increase in the retail price of the watch if current $ margins, currently above 60%, remain constant. In other words, the retail price could be held constant if Apple were to be just 10% less greedy. And, for that price, Apple could help do something about Chinese trade corruption and currency exchange rate manipulation. Better, Apple could move production to avoid the tariff.

Apple's margins are nowhere near 60%. There is a lot more that goes into cost of goods than the cost of materials.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009

All countries intervene to protect their currencies. It’s not just that China’s currency fluctuates. The US is no less of a manipulator when it comes to currencies,commodities and indexes than what it accuses others of.

The form of tariffs can also be considered a form of price manipulation. Tariffs themselves are no less of a form of price manipulation then what those that accuse China of via currency.

You want to talk about illegal manipulation..?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-fact-check-g7-summit-trade-war-a9085786.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d689549e4b02bc6bb371b3d/amp

Last edited:

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago

Thanks for that. You're right.

Although this may sound disingenuous now, I'm ok with this. "Illegal" immigrants still pay taxes. If you get sick while visiting Canada or England they'll treat you and you don't owe a cent.

A friend of mine got very sick while visiting the UK a few years back. She went to the ER, was immediately treated, had surgery, and owed zero dollars. She's alive because of this policy.

Do we want immigrants to die just because they escaped the poverty and drug cartel violence from South America to come to America and start a better life for their families?

Reactions: Dave00

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for that. You're right.

Although this may sound disingenuous now, I'm ok with this. "Illegal" immigrants still pay taxes. If you get sick while visiting Canada or England they'll treat you and you don't owe a cent.

A friend of mine got very sick while visiting the UK a few years back. She went to the ER, was immediately treated, had surgery, and owed zero dollars. She's alive because of this policy.

Do we want immigrants to die just because they escaped the poverty and drug cartel violence from South America to come to America and start a better life for their families?
I’m pretty sure you do owe when you visit those countries. I had to pay in Australia and AFAIK its the same for visitors to Canada and UK.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Lol the excuse they can’t make things in the USA cause of skilled labor. How much skill you think is required for Apple Watch bands?
[doublepost=1567373844][/doublepost]
That doesn’t hurt Apple... they will eventually pass it off to consumers. Thanks failure of a President
Like anything it’s going to hurt at first eventually company’s will look to make things elsewhere just like they did before they made them in China. And I didn't say everything most things.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Thank you for the answer, and please excuse my somewhat rude wording last time.
Interestingly, I also sold my almost complete AAPL a few days ago (also long-time) and will carefully investigate if and when I might buy again.
Trump actually sealed my decision with his tarrif.
All aspects you described in a kind way have also moved me to do. However, I think that e.g. the Apple Card might actually become something very exciting. Or glasses. Or med-tech. There is still innovation, but on delay. And with the iPhone I haven't seen anything for a long time. What is to come in a saturated market... Bigger screens, more lenses, G5 G6 G7 LOL.
At Amazon (which I also hold) I am less optimistic than you. They may be the world's biggest internet trader, but the stocks are actually totally boring. And drones and similar gimmicks are only circus.

The markets become a circus, the clown rules US.
AMZN does so much more than Internet sales. AWS is the biggest cloud offering that many large corporations are accommodating into their data center strategies. Whole Foods is an incredible business. They are doing a lot of things right.

The most important thing is that Bezos invests profits in some great ideas, whereas Cook is stashing profits in the bank.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Think of it as a donation to fund underemployed Americans because Apple choses to charge Made in America prices for made by slave labor in china products.

that 15% extra will go to the US Treasury.

Finally! Someone who gets it!
And once Bernie's president everyone employed will be paying into The Collective! Finally equality!
[doublepost=1567378038][/doublepost]Weird, the store still has the original prices. Maybe China is picking up the tab?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

I'm willing to bet that your friend was in the UK legally. What if she was in the country illegally...should she still get treated for a health issue? Of course. But after that, she should be deported. In order to be in any country in the world, one should have to abide by the immigration laws in effect at the time.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Its a small price to pay for the long term health if America. Silicon Valley is being selfish and put their profits ahead of the American people, and ignore tge big picture.

Umm, your Idiot Leader is bringing the world into a recession. But you continue to wear that red truckers hat as you tug your forelock to the Great Jerk.

Reactions: mudflap

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Lol you’ve missed the point. Who cares if companies don’t come back to the US? Who cares if we don’t get “Chinese money” from it? That was never the point of it. The purpose is to make China hurt. They are hurting and the tariffs are working. Idk where you’ve heard that China can sustain itself, because they’re already being affected by these tariffs after only three months of it. So yes actually, we do know how long they have lasted with that. Not too long. They’re now the ones asking Trump to come to the negotiating table. Did you even know that? You should stop listening to your liberal media. They’re terrible at telling the truth.
[doublepost=1567290942][/doublepost]
Apple’s committing a criminal offense??? *gasp*

You can't read. I said that it's incredibly unlikely because they have nearly no upside and an enormous downside. Don't be so basic.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
One thing those companies aren't doing...moving their factories to the US.

Didn't say they would be or even that this would be desirable.

However, increasing manufacturing in Vietnam, India, and the like will reduce poverty, increase education, and eventually slow birth rates in those places. All good things. They will also create competition in manufacturing, which will be good for the United States and might just make such "trade wars" obsolete.

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Just about everything is going up because of these tariffs. Was just talking my local bike shop, they are no longer selling kids bikes because they have gone up about $120 each. So, I a nice kids bike that would cost about $100, is $220 now.
[doublepost=1567202470][/doublepost]

I'm assuming you forgot the /s...
Dude, what in the world? A 120% tax rate increase?

Something doesn't seem right there, I'm deep into the bike community and I've never heard of this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.