Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
It's an apple product, and sadly this failure can happen again. Check to see if your CC covers an extended warranty and if not, find one that does. Some offer one-year extra like Amex or Visa but each card is different.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
“Should have bought AppleCare” lol that’s so rude. Statistically speaking AppleCare is more likely to be a waste of money than to save you money. I never buy it.

Only time will tell if the 16” x86 MBP is a reliable device, but to be honest it sounds like you just got unlucky. No matter how expensive something is, there will always be some models that fail for no discernible reason. Sorry that you got the short end of the stick.

The phone support people have the most authority to override protocol, so if you really want, you could probably finagle a free repair by asking for a manager and doing some decent social engineering. Be really polite and make up some sob story, while emphasizing that it’s only 2 months out of warranty. You’d be surprised how often you can win.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I have owned nothing but Apple computers from 1986 till the present.

We didn't need warranties back in the 80s. My 80s computers still run great today.

My current machine 2012 MBP retina is still going strong. I guess I am lucky. I keep machines more then five years and then pass them on to a friend of family member. Because of the problems of recent MBPs (keyboard, over heating, etc) I will probably spring for AppleCare this time. Will probably buy the new MBP in Oct.

Macbook Pro 2010 needed repair.
Macbook Pro 2017 needed repair.

it is not wise to disregard apple care with today's Apple. Its a different company now.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
“Should have bought AppleCare” lol that’s so rude. Statistically speaking AppleCare is more likely to be a waste of money than to save you money. I never buy it.

Agreed
For the price premiums Apple generally demands, they should simply include a better/longer warranty out of the box.

So much with Apple is "bend over, touch your toes and prepare for some Customer Sat"

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I have owned nothing but Apple computers from 1986 till the present. I have never bought Apple Care and have never needed a repair. My current machine 2012 MBP retina is still going strong. I guess I am lucky. I keep machines more then five years and then pass them on to a friend of family member. Because of the problems of recent MBPs (keyboard, over heating, etc) I will probably spring for AppleCare this time. Will probably buy the new MBP in Oct.
it is literally a lottery. Its a silicon lottery. And the systems today are so much more complex than your 80s machines. So yeah, you've been lucky. Buy a warranty!!!

Reactions: PlayUltimate

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Any advice for me….. I bought the 16’’ macbook pro last June. Worked absolutely fine up until this last week. I closed the screen after working friday, came back to a dead computer monday. Nothing would work to get it turned on. It’s never lagged, overheated, been dropped, no water damage. I brought it to an apple store and they said “your computer is in great condition, but hardware failure happens, you should have bought apple care”. So they sent it off and will be charging me $700. It was 2 months out from the one year warranty. How can I purchase their top tier laptop for $2400, it dies in a year, and i’m told “hardware failure happens”. Your top tier laptop shouldn’t die in a year. I had my last macbook pro for 7 years with not a single issue. I tried calling them today and I just got the same answer as the person in the store. “should have bought apple care”.
check your credit card benefits if you had purchased on CC. You may have some extended warranty

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
"Pandemic production" seems to have really netted some less than satisfactory QC on Apple products in the last 18 months. I've never bought AC for any of my Macs, but I'm definitely leaning towards doing so when I upgrade my 2015 MBA for a 14" MBP when released.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Well, they're right. Look, I know it sucks . . . majorly, but how would you feel if you bought AppleCare, and found out Apple was giving AppleCare warranty service to people who didn't buy it? If Apple felt the hardware should be warrantied past a year as part of the base purchase price, their standard warranty would be more than a year.

Again, it sucks and I'd be pi$$ed, but you did know all this going into the purchase and assumed the risk of not taking an extended warranty.

I know Apple has done out-of-warranty service as a courtesy in some cases before depending on the situation, but by definition a courtesy cannot be expected, demanded, nor complained about if it's not given.

jtopp

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
I have owned nothing but Apple computers from 1986 till the present. I have never bought Apple Care and have never needed a repair. My current machine 2012 MBP retina is still going strong. I guess I am lucky. I keep machines more then five years and then pass them on to a friend of family member. Because of the problems of recent MBPs (keyboard, over heating, etc) I will probably spring for AppleCare this time. Will probably buy the new MBP in Oct.
I had a 2012 first gen retina that after about a year and a half the batter swelled up and it interfered with the trackpad. I eventually sold it for $500 for parts and then a month later found out they had a recall and were swapping out units for new 105 or 2016s. I got suckered. I think with apple laptops it is important to get AppleCare, and if you are a teacher or student you can buy if at a discount. They don't even require you to verify it, (no cheating!!). I think any purchase over $2000 should have some kind of protection in it. Yeah apple makes good computers mostly but stuff always happens and after getting burned on the retina mbp I will always get AppleCare because its not like you can fix most of the components yourself like back in the day. Check out a guy named Lous Rossmann in New York, he has a repair shop and YouTube channel where he could probably fix your issue, real talented guy.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
You're absolutely right, your expensive laptop definitely should last more than a year. So glad we have Australian Consumer Law which requires minimum 2 year manufacturer warranty, which prevents people getting ripped off like this.

I have used the Australian consumer laws multiple times to get replacement technology.
Apple, Samsung, Hp etc have all replaced hardware or refunded due to my knowledge in this area.

they all try it on until they know they can’t…..

However, if it was only 1 year I would be buying Apple care.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
So they sent it off and will be charging me $700. It was 2 months out from the one year warranty. How can I purchase their top tier laptop for $2400,
consider this: Apple Care for that device is about $269. Thus the true out of pocket cost is about $450.
Going forward, I always consider getting Apple Care. But I take a look at the cost for Apple Care vs replacement cost. In some cases the cost of Apple Care is large percentage of the actual replacement cost; especially true in the case of accidental damage. But for a 2000+ computer, a three year insurance package for about 12% of the replacement cost is a fair price.
And I do feel bad for you. ?

leslieg

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2020
I have used the Australian consumer laws multiple times to get replacement technology.
Apple, Samsung, Hp etc have all replaced hardware or refunded due to my knowledge in this area.

they all try it on until they know they can’t…..

However, if it was only 1 year I would be buying Apple care.
Yes I still can’t believe how much companies still try to avoid it hoping the customer doesn’t know their rights.
When I called apple about my AirPods Pro not working they tried to tell me it would be $418 for a repair (despite purchasing them new for $399) as it was “out of warranty” despite the website even stating it was still within ACL warranty

geach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
Wow, I’ve been on macrumors for years, but never posted anything and I didn’t think this would ever get a response. So, thank you!

I am a die hard apple fan, and have stood by them for every product/purchased every product, and I will die by Apple. But like, its a $2,400 computer ($2,600 with tax) I shouldn’t be worried about it failing in a year. If I had dropped it, or spilled something on it, or maybe even ran a really intense program that somehow made it crash, sure I should have to pay. But saying “hardware failure happens” like, duh, I should have known, shame on me for trusting your top tier computer, is not a valid argument.

I tried calling their customer service line several times, because they have always been good to me in the past with waving fees/replacing/fixing my products, but no luck this time.

Anyways, they charged me $730, so i’m guessing the logic board was replaced and I lost all my files (yes, my bad for not backing it up). GOOD NEWS, I called my credit card company, and turns out they do have a supplemental warranty that takes over when the manufacturers warranty expires. They basically confirmed that my laptop was eligible and they would refund the amount to me as long as it wasn’t due to physical damage (which it wasn’t).

TLDR: I love apple. ”Hardware failure” is not a valid excuse for a top tier laptop. I was charged $730. My credit card company is likely going to refund me the amount. THANK YOU!!!!

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Crazy that people in the US need to pay a large sum of money to get a basic warranty. Not sure what consumer law is like in the US, but in Europe we basically get free Apple Care for at least three years, often more. Then again, we pay more for Macs so I suppose it evens out.
This is a lie, I live here and you get 1 year of Apple Care just like in USA but the prices of apple products are often 40% more.

Apple care only gives you 1 year of warranty. That's how it works. You think that apple should just give free replacements of computers 5+ years after people bought them? Get real.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Any advice for me….. I bought the 16’’ macbook pro last June. Worked absolutely fine up until this last week. I closed the screen after working friday, came back to a dead computer monday. Nothing would work to get it turned on. It’s never lagged, overheated, been dropped, no water damage. I brought it to an apple store and they said “your computer is in great condition, but hardware failure happens, you should have bought apple care”. So they sent it off and will be charging me $700. It was 2 months out from the one year warranty. How can I purchase their top tier laptop for $2400, it dies in a year, and i’m told “hardware failure happens”. Your top tier laptop shouldn’t die in a year. I had my last macbook pro for 7 years with not a single issue. I tried calling them today and I just got the same answer as the person in the store. “should have bought apple care”.
Apple repair is expensive because everything is glued/soldered together. So even if there's only one part broken, they have to replace mostly the whole thing. Example, the screen. If something's wrong with the LCD panel, they cannot just open the screen and replace the panel, they have to replace the whole screen. Thus it's pricey.

And yeah, it sucks. But it's not Apple exclusive. As we all want thinner and more sleek-looking laptops, things get more integrated and expensive to repair. Getting Apple Care is almost a must for Apple laptops.

$700 is better than spending another $2000. And yes, if I bought a $2000 laptop, I would've bought an extended warranty of some sort. I even bought extended warranty for my phone because I know these things get expensive to repair due to the integrated components.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wow, I’ve been on macrumors for years, but never posted anything and I didn’t think this would ever get a response. So, thank you!

I am a die hard apple fan, and have stood by them for every product/purchased every product, and I will die by Apple. But like, its a $2,400 computer ($2,600 with tax) I shouldn’t be worried about it failing in a year. If I had dropped it, or spilled something on it, or maybe even ran a really intense program that somehow made it crash, sure I should have to pay. But saying “hardware failure happens” like, duh, I should have known, shame on me for trusting your top tier computer, is not a valid argument.

I tried calling their customer service line several times, because they have always been good to me in the past with waving fees/replacing/fixing my products, but no luck this time.

Anyways, they charged me $730, so i’m guessing the logic board was replaced and I lost all my files (yes, my bad for not backing it up). GOOD NEWS, I called my credit card company, and turns out they do have a supplemental warranty that takes over when the manufacturers warranty expires. They basically confirmed that my laptop was eligible and they would refund the amount to me as long as it wasn’t due to physical damage (which it wasn’t).

TLDR: I love apple. ”Hardware failure” is not a valid excuse for a top tier laptop. I was charged $730. My credit card company is likely going to refund me the amount. THANK YOU!!!!
Good to hear you're getting a coverage through your credit card!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020

Wow, that's excellent news about the credit card extended warranty. Hooray!

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019

All laptops can die or have hardware issues. Just like any computer. That is why its best to get the 3 year coverage on it especially laptops as they take abuse being carried places. If you spent $2500, a little more wouldn't have mattered.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
"Pandemic production" seems to have really netted some less than satisfactory QC on Apple products in the last 18 months. I've never bought AC for any of my Macs, but I'm definitely leaning towards doing so when I upgrade my 2015 MBA for a 14" MBP when released.
I have a feeling it's more motivated by the need for the "support/repair" to generate a profit, and it creates a ripple effect on the whole design and production part to be "less nitpicking." I think there were news about how the genius bar in retail stores were "forced" to focus on profit-generation under the Burberry lady (correct me if I were wrong). That lady has left Apple, but I have a feeling whatever policies are still in place today.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
But like, its a $2,400 computer ($2,600 with tax) I shouldn’t be worried about it failing in a year.
First, things turned out well for you. Not because of Apple, but thanks to your CC company. So that's a good thing.

About the above, you should be worried about that $2400 computer from Apple failing as much as you should worry about a $10k or $50k computer failing from the same company or others. These are electronics and electronics can fail, no matter the cost, no matter the manufacturer, no matter the age. Statistically most components fail either in the first few weeks/months of usage or towards their expected end of life. But every now and then somewhere in between. There is no way around this.

Some form of insurance in a country like the US might make sense. But since the vast majority of hardware won't have issues, it might also be a waste of money. For what it's worth, I personally would not have bought AC for a $2.4k laptop. I would have bought it (actually I have) for a fully specced version, which is closer to $7k. Other countries are better off when it comes to warranty, but usually pay higher prices. Unless you buy a lot of hardware via B2B, you can easily get 30%-50% off for Hardware from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Apple (not iPads, iPhones or Watch) in most european countries.

Moral of the story, never expect any hardware at any price to be bulletproof and work forever.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I brought it to an apple store and they said “your computer is in great condition, but hardware failure happens, you should have bought apple care”. So they sent it off and will be charging me $700.....
take this to a second hand computer repair shop. they have these allover the planet even several in Bali Indonesia.
there could be a frayed display connection or just a bad transistor.

some person had their MacBook Pro not working, brought that to a NYC apple store, they said 1,200 to fix.
they bought that to a repair shop, he pushed the display cable down, and voila, worked- no charge too!
this was in 2018 and their is a video of this experience online and on CBC television.

i have done wonders to get my MacBook air 2010 working were apple recommended i buy a new one
this was in 2015.
they are trained to gouge every cent out of everyone who walk through those doors now.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Well, they're right. Look, I know it sucks . . . majorly, but how would you feel if you bought AppleCare, and found out Apple was giving AppleCare warranty service to people who didn't buy it?

don't spend your time worrying about what "other people" may be getting. just cover yourself.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
don't spend your time worrying about what "other people" may be getting. just cover yourself.

I'm not. Just putting things in perspective for why we shouldn't expect Apple to just hand out free AppleCare repairs to people who haven't purchased AppleCare.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I'm not. Just putting things in perspective for why we shouldn't expect Apple to just hand out free AppleCare repairs to people who haven't purchased AppleCare.

my distrust of apple manufacturing has reached a level that I didn't even remember buying applecare+ for my iPad Pro this year. I guess I just did it automatically.. :D

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
my distrust of apple manufacturing has reached a level that I didn't even remember buying applecare+ for my iPad Pro this year. I guess I just did it automatically.. :D

I'm actually the opposite. I've had so few issues with Apple products over the years, that I basically never purchase AppleCare. I think I may have purchased AppleCare once very early on for an Apple device, but the only time in recent memory was for my 2019 iMac, but that was just because I spent so much money on it, I figured I might as well spend a little more to be safe. Haven't had to use it, thankfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.