Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
That's going to occur with any camera when you take a photo like that. The camera is going to pick up blurred artifacts like that because the transition happens to fast for it to capture. I can do that with literally any screen and it will look the same.

Here is my wife's MacBook Air. I guess it has ghosting too?

View attachment 880164

And my iMac 5K is also Ghosting I guess:

View attachment 880165

And an iPad Pro also has ghosts:

View attachment 880166

Its going to do that for any screen on a camera, and depending on how fast the transition is the more "ghosting" its going to pick up.

Heres my brand new iPad 7th gen.

Attachments

• F401D160-2757-407C-98ED-6E34BB94490A.jpeg
    F401D160-2757-407C-98ED-6E34BB94490A.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 425
Reactions: Surfer13134

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
That's going to occur with any camera when you take a photo like that. The camera is going to pick up blurred artifacts like that because the transition happens to fast for it to capture. I can do that with literally any screen and it will look the same.
Its going to do that for any screen on a camera, and depending on how fast the transition is the more "ghosting" its going to pick up.
Yes, the smeared photo that you responded to doesn't really do a good job of showcasing anything. It's an issue that varies based on the person's sensitivity to it and can best be seen in person.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Reactions: iemcj

Idec50

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
TX
This sounds terrible. I’m going to bring in my 2017 15in to the store to compare.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
That launchpad switching happens so fast I can barely perceive the ghosting. If I weren't looking for it I wouldn't ever notice. Scrolling text that ghosts isn't a problem because I'm not ready to read again until I stop scrolling, and again it settles so fast that when I stop it's sharp.

I tried that launch pad swapping on my 2015 iMac and I'm pretty sure it looked exactly the same and it settles so fast that I don't see this as an issue. I had an old TV that would ghost if there was a flurry of fast movement, like a fight scene, and then that ghosting was a bit annoying. So, I suppose if you were watching a movie on your 16" MBP and you had blurry scenes, you'd be annoyed and rightly so. Is that the case? I've watched a ton of Youtube videos with mine and haven't seen any blurry scenes with fast action and no one here has mentioned seeing it in videos, which is the only place where I can honestly see it having an impact.

This issue like the thread about screen brightness. I just don't see it there either (or in this case I see just fine). If mine were any brighter I'd have to squint while using it. Then people claim it's too warm. Well, that's adjustable in preferences.

Reactions: mightyjabba

StONE_ROdGEr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
Please be aware I’m not saying “here’s a photo it must be ghosting”, I do photography and I’m fully aware of how to capture something hella quick. I was using it to demonstrate what I as a human, not a camera, perceive the ghosting as on the other side. Obviously I can’t pull a screenshot/video out my eyes ?

Here is my wife's MacBook Air. I guess it has ghosting too?

View attachment 880164

And my iMac 5K is also Ghosting I guess:

View attachment 880165

And an iPad Pro also has ghosts:

View attachment 880166

Heres my brand new iPad 7th gen.
[automerge]1575205192[/automerge]
Can you share the manufacturing date of your MBP? Mine is 2019-10-14.

How do I do this? ?

Reactions: iemcj

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Please be aware I’m not saying “here’s a photo it must be ghosting”, I do photography and I’m fully aware of how to capture something hella quick. I was using it to demonstrate what I as a human, not a camera, perceive the ghosting as on the other side. Obviously I can’t pull a screenshot/video out my eyes

[automerge]1575205192[/automerge]

How do I do this?

I understand, but there is no way your eye is picking up that amount of trailing. It’s not possible for the human eye to detect something that fast. You might see a tiny tiny tiny fraction of that, but posting your photo and saying “Look mine does this” is completely false.

Reactions: G5isAlive

StONE_ROdGEr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
I understand, but there is no way your eye is picking up that amount of trailing. It’s not possible for the human eye to detect something that fast. You might see a tiny tiny tiny fraction of that, but posting your photo and saying “Look mine does this” is completely false.

I said “this is the kind of thing you see”... it was used as an aide to paint the picture so someone knew what they were looking for. I do not have 165hz eyes you are quite correct haha. But I will argue that I see enough of it to form an opinion of when something is bad to me - of course we are all different and your tolerance may vary. I can guarantee you this panel is slower (if it’s not software which I doubt) than my external IPS which I think is 5ms. So it definitely visually “ghosts” to me. The colour shift isn’t keeping up.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I said “this is the kind of thing you see”... it was used as an aide to paint the picture so someone knew what they were looking for. I do not have 165hz eyes you are quite correct haha. But I will argue that I see enough of it to form an opinion of when something is bad to me - of course we are all different and your tolerance may vary. I can guarantee you this panel is slower (if it’s not software which I doubt) than my external IPS which I think is 5ms. So it definitely visually “ghosts” to me. The colour shift isn’t keeping up.

But that’s not the “type of thing you see.” That’s an EXTREMELY exaggerated view of what you see. I don’t care how good your vision is, it’s not close to seeing what you showed in your photo. I understand it’s bothering you, but it’s not bothering you to that effect as this type of thing happens on every single screen to some extent. You feel it’s more with this display and that’s fine, but let’s keep things somewhat rational
in here.

playtillyadrop

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
there is definitely a problem with ghosting. I've compared the new 16 to my mid 2012 rmbp, and there's for sure a difference in scrolling on websites and swiping. I think this has to be a software issue it could be related to the VRR feature below 60hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Is this a real problem? I’ve been eyeing on the 16” since it came out.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Is this a real problem? I’ve been eyeing on the 16” since it came out.

The ghosting exists. The question is, will it bother you? - All displays every single one available on the market ghosts to some extent. But it's a range. I would put the 16" near the middle between Very Poor and Excellent. It's "average" when it comes to ghosting.

The 2015 15" I would put at "very good" lets say a 7 out of 10 on that same scale. So this 16" is a step down, a bit. But it again depends on the person using it whether you will notice it at all or whether you'll find it very distracting in daily use.

For me, I don't see it as a problem warranting an exchange and in the past I exchanged 5 x 2013 15" Macbook Pro's due to screen problems (uniformity) so I'm quite particular, picky even when it comes to displays and this doesn't bother me enough to exchange it or get a refund.

Apart from this and the speaker popping problem (which can be worked around with the Quicktime solution until Apple fixes it properly) this laptop is incredible. Of course all of this is my own opinion.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
This isn't a new thing... Ive noticed this with iPhones and other phones for as long as I can remember. Also iPads and computers. Its just the way scrolling looking or fast moving images. Some people see it some people aren't as sensitive to it. Tv's have a smoothing effect you can apply that kind of creates a soap opera effect but that makes images appear smooth. I think you are just nitpicking about the display its not just the 16 but its the majority of devices unless they use software for some smoothing of fast images/scrolling. Oled shouldn't have this issue because it has a super fast response time but I still see not smooth scrolling on my iPhone. Its smooth its just when you try to focus on the scrolling and things around it you notice blurring. It is better on iPhones than MacBook Pro 15" but I just think its due to the oled screen. My plasma tv has amazing fast paced motion. None of my lcd's have had the best motion unless I turn on their motion smoothing effect. I have to on mu Sony 900f on some things as the blurring is very notable to me.

StONE_ROdGEr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
If it doesn't bother you then thats fine; it bothers me. Maybe I'm expecting better based on the older models (a 2012 15" non-retina I use at work, for example)

I think I'm allowed to be picky on a £2.3K+ device. I'd expect this kind of screen in a lesser device, sure, but not a top end Apple device. I'm also not alone in this, so it's not just me noticing this.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
If it doesn't bother you then thats fine; it bothers me. Maybe I'm expecting better based on the older models (a 2012 15" non-retina I use at work, for example)

I think I'm allowed to be picky on a £2.3K+ device. I'd expect this kind of screen in a lesser device, sure, but not a top end Apple device. I'm also not alone in this, so it's not just me noticing this.
if it bothers you that much return the machine and go back to your 2012. Its not a defect its just the way the screens are. Cant do anything about it so why complain? Wont change anything. There is blur if you are looking for it. Do you really want to be reading text as your scrolling the page? I can if I go slow but its noticeable. But all my Macs and phones have blur when I'm scrolling.

Reactions: emraha06

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
if it bothers you that much return the machine and go back to your 2012. Its not a defect its just the way the screens are. Cant do anything about it so why complain? Wont change anything. There is blur if you are looking for it. Do you really want to be reading text as your scrolling the page? I can if I go slow but its noticeable. But all my Macs and phones have blur when I'm scrolling.

I get what you're saying and I agree that all displays have ghosting. But to me the 16" right now is the worst display I've had from Apple with regards to this issue. Now I'm not saying its a bad product, just on a scale this would be the worst ghosting so far.

The iPhone 11 Pro I have, iPad Air, Pro, my external 4K and Asus monitors etc - All of those are much less ghosty than this. I'd put them at 10, 9, 8 on the scale while this 16" is a solid 5, average quality with regards to ghosting.

And I do agree that for £2.3K (£2.8K I paid) this shouldn't really be a thing. Now again I'm not returning it, it doesn't bother me that much but when you pay this amount of money you expect it to maintain or surpass previous machines quality, this ghosting is a definite dip in quality compared to the 2015 15" Retina MacBook Pro which I'd put at a 7 out of 10 on ghosting while this 16" is as I said a 5.

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
It is a new panel so I guess it isn’t unusual for it to have issues (be it brightness, colour, ghosting etc). As for when it’ll get fixed? Who knows.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
It is a new panel so I guess it isn’t unusual for it to have issues (be it brightness, colour, ghosting etc). As for when it’ll get fixed? Who knows.

more like they added 0.6" and screwed up manufacturing process

StONE_ROdGEr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
I get what you're saying and I agree that all displays have ghosting. But to me the 16" right now is the worst display I've had from Apple with regards to this issue. Now I'm not saying its a bad product, just on a scale this would be the worst ghosting so far.

The iPhone 11 Pro I have, iPad Air, Pro, my external 4K and Asus monitors etc - All of those are much less ghosty than this. I'd put them at 10, 9, 8 on the scale while this 16" is a solid 5, average quality with regards to ghosting.

And I do agree that for £2.3K (£2.8K I paid) this shouldn't really be a thing. Now again I'm not returning it, it doesn't bother me that much but when you pay this amount of money you expect it to maintain or surpass previous machines quality, this ghosting is a definite dip in quality compared to the 2015 15" Retina MacBook Pro which I'd put at a 7 out of 10 on ghosting while this 16" is as I said a 5.

+1
This is exactly what my point of view is. Im wholly aware of screens and how they work (they all have some form of blur etc). For a device aimed at content creators it kind of baffles me why they chose to stick a slow response time screen in their flagship product. There will be many other products with displays that don't ghost. My AOG 1440p 165hz is 4ms and thats fine. Thats not blisteringly quick like some panels but its good. This makes me think its a 6-10ms screen, which is kinda bad for this price point/device.

I tried to demonstrate here, but make your own mind up by going and using one:

Reactions: sat24

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
+1
This is exactly what my point of view is. Im wholly aware of screens and how they work (they all have some form of blur etc). For a device aimed at content creators it kind of baffles me why they chose to stick a slow response time screen in their flagship product. There will be many other products with displays that don't ghost. My AOG 1440p 165hz is 4ms and thats fine. Thats not blisteringly quick like some panels but its good. This makes me think its a 6-10ms screen, which is kinda bad for this price point/device.

I tried to demonstrate here, but make your own mind up by going and using one:
yes there is blur with scrolling but again this isn't exactly new. my 2008 had it. my 2011 MacBook Pro had it. my 2016 had it. my 2019 had it. The scrolling you are doing in that video just is something you have to deal with the rest of us. Sucks but what can you do?

Reactions: emraha06
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.