Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay-A

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2020
The author goes on to say 20-40ms is a typical transition time, which is in line with previous MBPs. In the UFO test, that looks about right compared to the 17ms one also tested. Most people have found it to be at least as good as the previous 16" in motion blur and such. So I don't know where the really slow times measured show up, or why the 16" would be slower than the 14" only in that one way, while using what seems to be the same technology.

While I don't have particular problems with ghosting on my i9 16 inch (or even on this new panel which indeed appears comparable, but certainly no better as regards response times), my other 15 inch from late 2013 has way faster response times than both. It's embarassing that a panel that is 8 years old actually better responds to animations than the latest and greatest from Apple.

This is definitely an area where I would have wished an drastic improvement coming with the new panel technology. Let's hope Apple iterates on that, despite the low noise that this issue has always produced.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
While I don't have particular problems with ghosting on my i9 16 inch (or even on this new panel which indeed appears comparable, but certainly no better as regards response times), my other 15 inch from late 2013 has way faster response times than both. It's embarassing that a panel that is 8 years old actually better responds to animations than the latest and greatest from Apple.

This is definitely an area where I would have wished an drastic improvement coming with the new panel technology. Let's hope Apple iterates on that, despite the low noise that this issue has always produced.
Have you seen this? Looks like what the refresh rate is affects the response time. Might help explain some of the odd behavior of the screen, and the fact that most people aren't bothered by the response time.

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
Wow, I can't believe this thread was dead in 2022, every time a new Macbook Pro is released, I think again of this thread, I wonder if the new M2's finally bring a decent response time

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

StONE_ROdGEr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
Wow, I can't believe this thread was dead in 2022, every time a new Macbook Pro is released, I think again of this thread, I wonder if the new M2's finally bring a decent response time

I stopped keeping up once I just settled on the 2020 13”. My plan was to keep
it until the 14” miniLED came out but I think I’ll keep it a while longer. I wish I hadn’t maxed it out as the M1/and now M2 machines were as good or better for half the money, haha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.