Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Apple support sent me an updated graphics driver to try. I’ll update you all with results when I try it at the office tomorrow.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
BETA graphics driver, or same as in 10.15.2 release?
He didn’t say. The email just said an updated driver and he’ll contact me tomorrow with instructions. I thought the link in the email was for the driver, but it was just my support link. He asked for a time to contact me.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
So 10.15.2 didn't fix anything. And the support rep has yet to get back to me about this supposed driver he has available. I've heard nothing since that email the other day.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
So 10.15.2 didn't fix anything. And the support rep has yet to get back to me about this supposed driver he has available. I've heard nothing since that email the other day.

Thanks for the update. Really curious what driver they were talking about.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Unfortunately, they did mean the 10.15.2 updated driver. Which does NOT fix the problem for me. So they had me send them more CaptureData logs and will get back to me.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Unfortunately, they did mean the 10.15.2 updated driver. Which does NOT fix the problem for me. So they had me send them more CaptureData logs and will get back to me.

That's disappointing. There are a lot of performance issues to be worked out in Catalina with GPU/eGPU. Hopefully now that the people who were on MP7,1 are "free" the troubleshooting can really get going. I wish I could downgrade to Mojave or magically jump to 10.15.4.

Reactions: jagooch

andrewj

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Hi I found this thread, similar issue, though with TS3 (not plus) with Macbook 16 Pro. On my end it works 90% of the time in clamshell. However, when I plug it in, occasionally the monitor turns on at first, but then turns off. The way I resolve this is to restart the computer. Once restarted, it seems to work okay. I'm using 10.15.2.

RB16

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Hi, If I connect my MBP 16" to CalDigit TS3+ with one external display with MBP's LID CLOSED, can I turn on MBP and display by bluetooth keyboard?
I can do that with Anker's USB-c hub in addition to AC power, but I can't with HP 100w thunderbolt dock.
Thanks!

audiofx

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
Same wake from sleep issues here, 1 4k Dell UP3216Q Display, TS3+ Dock. I constantly have to unplug the usb-c cable out and back in. Its very annoying I can not just keep the laptop in clamshell behind the screen and get it to wake from sleep

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Been about 3 months, sorry about that.

Still NOTHING works for me with current setup. I've tried everything. Resetting everything. Updating everything. Still can't get 2 4k screens to work in clamshell no matter what. Apple even stopped responding to my ticket (understandable if they're short staffed or have other things going on).

I have 2 LG UltraFine 5K screens coming. If it didn't work with 2 4K screens I highly doubt it'll work with 2 5K. But we'll see since they're matching and more "Apple-like" than the crappy(ish) screens I currently have. Will report back once they arrive.

It's been beyond frustrating this entire time. I had multiple times (when you throwing in all the sleep kernel panics that were happening) that I was either going to smash it with a hammer or sell it and get an iMac. A top of the line (retail-wise) laptop shouldn't cause that much stress.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
I have 2 LG UltraFine 5K screens coming. If it didn't work with 2 4K screens I highly doubt it'll work with 2 5K.
For the record the TS3 Plus only supports one 5k display, so you'll have to check for clamshell issues with a second connection if using the full resolution.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
For the record the TS3 Plus only supports one 5k display, so you'll have to check for clamshell issues with a second connection if using the full resolution.
I'm fine taking the TS3+ out of the equation all together. I already removed it from this setup to rule it out. The issue is for sure 2 4k screens with the laptop in clamshell. The TS3+ is a convenience at this point. I just want ANYTHING to work in f'n clamshell.

Thanks for the tip about 5K though.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
The 5K displays came yesterday. 2 of them hooked up direct works fine in clamshell. My 2 mismatched 4K screens did NOT work in clamshell. With or without the TS3+. Must be something odd with the screens.
Oh well, I have a solution that works for me now. Time to sell of my other screens and the TS3+.

Breadcrumbs85

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2021
What is the length of your CalDigit cable?

Im also using a 2019 16" MBP with the power and DP to Mini-DP from the dock to the monitor. No issues since I started using about a month ago, however I started to get issue when waking from prolonged times without use.

I'm using a Samsung 4K monitor only, not dual monitors in clamshell etc.Just the laptop screen and the Samsung Space style monitor

I went to CallDigits website and downloaded the firmware updater and it required a reboot after installing, which sometimes fixes the issue in and of itself (but hadn't this time I had the issue). But as soon as I logged back in the screen came back to life.

Cant say for sure it will fix the issue but it seems to have done so for me.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.