Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneks

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
do a lot of work in Shake and Maya, renderman (prMan) and other professional graphics applications, for film work. All the machines at work run 5-8gb of ram. I have 4gb in my home machine. I have never seen a significant improvement over 4gb in any machine that I have used, in either win64 or osx. We regularly hit bottlenecks where we are running multiple instances of 32bit apps simultaneosly and this is where more than 4gb comes in handy. For most tasks anything over that is uneccessary. In fact we have noticed a performance plateau at 8gb of ram on our 64bit applications. I am sure that some visualisation and simulation applications have higher requirements but for the vast majority of users I would saeriously consider 4gb enough. Especially untill commercial sofware manufacturers start to write applications that can properly address more ram.

For what we do drive speed is much more of an issue and we find that Fibre Channel RAIDs are only just keeping up with some tasks such as full res film throughput.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
thugpoet22 said:
i doubt there an app or apps that can even challenge 16 gigs. The person that uses 16 gigs probably runs their own airport lol. In 6 years 16 gigs might actually be a normal amount.

For using the Map Pro as a web application server, particulary Java - 16Gb might actually be too LITTLE :). It all depends on what you do with your hardware...

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
eMagine said:
Remember Bill Gates once said no one will ever use more than 20GB of hard drive space?

Actually, I remember him saying you'll never need more than 640KB of RAM :D

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
4Gb is the point where memory is no longer a boundary after that it becomes the processor and i'm not talking about a 4GB For science work and intensive stuff, but for graphics work, Photoshop and what not 4GB is the point where the processer becomes the limit

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
pseudobrit said:
So we have our first answer to "who needs that much RAM?"

Rocket Scientists.

Let's hope this thread is found in five years and resurrected when the 64 core PowerBook is sluggish with its standard load of 128GB RAM.

Hah! That's great!

elitemacor talking about iPod said:
It's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?

I love future predictions :D

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
One day I was bored and customized the most expensive Dell Server I could, and for 50 grand you can have 64GB of RAM. Now that is just un-godly. Seriouly you can find the meaning of life with that thing.

That machine should be a limited edition model called Deep Thought. Douglas Adams anyone?

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
4Gb is the point where memory is no longer a boundary after that it becomes the processor and i'm not talking about a 4GB For science work and intensive stuff, but for graphics work, Photoshop and what not 4GB is the point where the processer becomes the limit
I agree, 4 Gb will guarantee no ram bottleneck when using graphic software. :)

FJ

SSonnentag

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Yuma, Arizona, USA
I just received my OctoMac Pro with 16GB of RAM today. I ordered it with only 1GB (2x512) and ordered my 16GB from a cheaper source. I've been maxing out 4GB for a few years now doing image stitching and video editing of extremely high-definition images, so I thought I'd go all out with 16 in the hope that I wouldn't have to use swap space for a few years. :)

Shawn

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I just received my OctoMac Pro with 16GB of RAM today. I ordered it with only 1GB (2x512) and ordered my 16GB from a cheaper source. I've been maxing out 4GB for a few years now doing image stitching and video editing of extremely high-definition images, so I thought I'd go all out with 16 in the hope that I wouldn't have to use swap space for a few years. :)

Shawn

Jeees tell us more! Got any Benchmarks you can run?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Just so you know, some people here were talking about how different Linux distros support 64 gb of RAM etc...

Well apparently the 64 bit version of OS X and all the 64 bit CPUs Apple have used in the past and present can support and allocate up to 64 terabytes of RAM effectively. It's just that none of the chipsets in any of the Macs support that much. An aEngineer told me a MacPro could take up to 128 gigs of RAM, but you can't get 16 gb RAM sticks.

Might all be cobblers but I was told by someone who really knows their stuff (built their own Xserve out of old parts).

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Just so you know, some people here were talking about how different Linux distros support 64 gb of RAM etc...

Well apparently the 64 bit version of OS X and all the 64 bit CPUs Apple have used in the past and present can support and allocate up to 64 terabytes of RAM effectively. It's just that none of the chipsets in any of the Macs support that much. An aEngineer told me a MacPro could take up to 128 gigs of RAM, but you can't get 16 gb RAM sticks.

Might all be cobblers but I was told by someone who really knows their stuff (built their own Xserve out of old parts).

I bet we will see 64 terabytes of RAM in about 25 years. Then we will have to switch to 128 bit. Lol

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

Shawn

Is it fast? Jk - is that even a question? But really, how much of a difference do you notice between this and your older Mac? Just curious.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I saw on flickr an image of a maxed out Mac Pro. 3.0GHz Dual Core, 16GB RAM etc. It was one of Apple's demo systems though at WWDC

wittegijt

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2007
Eindhoven

Attachments

• aboutMac.jpg
    aboutMac.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 52

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
That's a pretty weak Photoshop job.

Wow, you think so? I think that it was intended to be.

Ummm Rush Limbaugh just bought 3 Mac Pros with 16Gb of memory each. They were all maxed out in specs.

I suppose he'd need that much power and RAM for keeping track of his prescription pills. And listing all them pesky liberals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.