Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
Agreed. My buddy showed me an article about how Intel is promising an 80-core processor in five years. Yes, I meant to type 80. Eighty. Not eight, but eighty.

Daniel.

Read something about that. Hopefully they have some better graphic cards out there. Have some realistic computer games hehe.

Hopefully by then all HDD will be SDD.

I cant wait to see what the next 10 years of computing will bring us

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Here I am making do with half a gigabyte of RAM and people are talking about 32 times as much!
My uncle knows someone who does some form of music work and he had a PowerMac with 8GB. I wonder if he ever upgraded to a Mac Pro.

I've been planning to buy a Leopard iMac for a while now but I was going to get 1GB of RAM with it. This thread is making me consider 2GB...

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Here I am making do with half a gigabyte of RAM and people are talking about 32 times as much!
I know of one guy who does some sort of music editing that my uncle knows and he had a PowerMac with 8GB. I wonder if he ever upgraded to a Mac Pro.

I've been planning to buy a Leopard iMac for a while now but I was going to get 1GB of RAM with it. This thread is making me consider 2GB...

definitely go for the 2gb. Worth it, that is what i have so much better than 1 gb (my old config)

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
definitely go for the 2gb. Worth it, that is what i have so much better than 1 gb (my old config)

Did you notice improvements in particular programs or just in general?
EDIT: I just checked the Apple store and forgetting about the new cap of 3GB, I scanned the upgrades and thought 2GB was £500!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Did you notice improvements in particular programs or just in general?
EDIT: I just checked the Apple store and forgetting about the new cap of 3GB, I scanned the upgrades and thought 2GB was £500!

I dont really work in programs that would show the increase, mainly word and excel, (I do a lot of technical reports). So it would have to be "in general" but i feel that it is really worth it. Never have to worry about what applications i have open etc. What applications do you use?

If you get the Ram from Orcalogic it is only £91.63 to get to 2Gb and you can sell the sticks that come with the iMAc to make it even cheaper. Not much of a price to pay for such a big improvement.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I dont really work in programs that would show the increase, mainly word and excel, (I do a lot of technical reports). So it would have to be "in general" but i feel that it is really worth it. Never have to worry about what applications i have open etc. What applications do you use?

If you get the Ram from Orcalogic it is only £91.63 to get to 2Gb and you can sell the sticks that come with the iMAc to make it even cheaper. Not much of a price to pay for such a big improvement.

Photoshop would be the most RAM intensive but I suppose Word hangs a little on documents with a large page count.
I was looking at third party RAM actually just there (hence the topic in Buying Advice) and I can't believe that 3GB works out at half the price if ordered from Crucial. That seems a bit weird.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Photoshop would be the most RAM intensive but I suppose Word hangs a little on documents with a large page count.
I was looking at third party RAM actually just there (hence the topic in Buying Advice) and I can't believe that 3GB works out at half the price if ordered from Crucial. That seems a bit weird.

Tell me about word, i just created a 247 page (29000 word) monstrosity. My 3rd year design project. In Office:2004 it was sluggish. But i wrote the document in Office 2007 inside parallels and noticed no slow down at all, odd.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
i doubt there an app or apps that can even challenge 16 gigs. The person that uses 16 gigs probably runs their own airport lol. In 6 years 16 gigs might actually be a normal amount.

I maxed out 12Gb on a windows computer using COMSOL Multiphysics at school. I could easily max out 16GBb with this program. You can also run this software on a Mac so it's possible.

Nuc

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I maxed out 12Gb on a windows computer using COMSOL Multiphysics at school. I could easily max out 16GBb with this program. You can also run this software on a Mac so it's possible.

Nuc

I'm getting on Comsol and Fluent next year, will run it on my iMac with 2Gb of ram or will send it to the University computer, not the biggest out there by any standards but so much more than i could get in my room at home:

Processors: 320
Performance: 300GFLOPs
Main Memory: 800GB
Filestore: 9TB
Temporary disk space: 10TB
Physical size: 8 racks
Power usage: 50KW

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Ya I was thinking about cutting a hole in my wall so my new server wouldn't take up so much space. But after thinking about what my next door roommate might say, I went ahead and did it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I just received my OctoMac Pro with 16GB of RAM today. I ordered it with only 1GB (2x512) and ordered my 16GB from a cheaper source. I've been maxing out 4GB for a few years now doing image stitching and video editing of extremely high-definition images, so I thought I'd go all out with 16 in the hope that I wouldn't have to use swap space for a few years. :)

Shawn

dang....would love to see some benchmarks on that!

finiteyoda

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2007
I'm planning on getting one of these 8-core machines for personal work (I do machine learning stuff), but haven't decided on 8GB or 16GB RAM yet...

I work for a large search engine, and filling up something like 8 or 16GB RAM is sadly all too easy... keeping a web index in memory can easily consume terabytes of RAM, for example. A dataset I'm working on right now is ~100 gigs, it'd be awesome if there was a machine I could just load all that into memory directly, but since there isn't I'm stuck writing up code to to distribute the loading and calculations across multiple machines :mad:

Also, my understanding is that Leopard will be the first version of OSX with full support for 64-bit apps, which I'm excited about, since up until now I've been doing all my compiling in VS2005 (which supports x64 code) just to get access to a 4GB+ user space (and take advantage of the 64-bit CPU architecture).

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I work for a large search engine, and filling up something like 8 or 16GB RAM is sadly all too easy... keeping a web index in memory can easily consume terabytes of RAM, for example. A dataset I'm working on right now is ~100 gigs, it'd be awesome if there was a machine I could just load all that into memory directly

Wouldn't be able to support the terabytes but could do your current data set. Also this model has been since the last NAB so i would expect an update at this NAB but haven't seen any rumours to support that fact

Boxx said:
APEXX 8 doubles the number of processors to eight for a total of sixteen cores, and double the maximum memory to 128GB

Retired
May 16, 2006
I have a long while left with my MB CD, with 1GB RAM, but how much RAM do you guys think will be standard when I come to replace it?

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe

Just a footnote to say that I ordered a 2GB module from Orca Logic today and their customer service seems to be impeccable. Warning for those with a G5 iMac, there's only one memory slot available so if, like me, you upgraded to 1GB at ordering time then you'll be removing that module to make space for anything new you buy (max 2.5GB...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.