Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If you upgrade frequently and don’t keep devices, nothing matters. If you don’t, caring about battery health and updating iOS is pointless (iOS updates will decrease battery life by themselves), and if you don’t update iOS, battery life will never decrease regardless of health, so I don’t see the point in battery care.

This only adds fuel to the fire: if slow charging doesn’t even make a difference, then it’s even more pointless than I thought. While a massive conclusion after one case, only one year later would be a little too rushed, it does cast a small shadow in battery conservation techniques... if updates will obliterate battery life regardless, and if you don’t update, battery health doesn’t matter; if battery conservation techniques in real life sometimes work and sometimes they don’t work... then it’s all for nothing.

I’d still charge slowly if I can because it doesn’t hurt, but I wouldn’t be too concerned if I needed that fast charger, especially if you only need it sometimes.

Reactions: one more

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I'm at 89% according to coconut and 90% according to settings. What stands out for me vs OP's screenshots is that I'm at 367 charge cycles. I charge every single night because I usually need to do so. I "set it and forget it" on the charger overnight.
Almost exactly the same for me. 349 cycles, 89% by coconut, 90% by settings. I last checked it at 123 cycles and it was still at 100%.

Reactions: DeftwillP

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
For 99% of users fast charge it, slow charge it, limit it to 80%…do anything you want and it’s not going to make a lick of difference. There is so much software under the hood governing the battery management now, yall are wasting time trying to “save” your batteries
And even then, it's not terribly expensive to get them replaced.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
iPhone 14 pro has a 12 Wh battery.

Generally speaking, up to 1C charge rate is considered healthy. So 12W.

If at a lower state of charge, it's possible to charge faster with less ill effects. So 18W still wouldn't be unreasonable if low on charge.

Generally speaking, it seems like iPhone 14 Pro Max (not Pro) will stay at 18W charging up to 60% ish or so, then taper. Ambient temps, the type of charger used, etc ... will affect this. In general, it looks like Apple keeps it pretty safe, which is not unexpected.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
My 14 pro barely gets warm with the 5W but if I plug it into my wife’s 18w or my 61w MacBook charger it heats up real quick if the battery is at a lower state of charge.
now it all comes out - flawed testing methodology! I DEMAND EXACTING LABORATORY CONDITIONS.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Good info. Yeah I'm still using the 18W charger I got with my 11 Pro on my 14 Pro, and the 14 Pro's battery barely degrades. The 11 pro, though, degraded very quickly and i had to replace the battery after 2 years. I think Apple has done a lot of work to offset the extra heat generated by the fast chargers.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
Good info. Yeah I'm still using the 18W charger I got with my 11 Pro on my 14 Pro, and the 14 Pro's battery barely degrades. The 11 pro, though, degraded very quickly and i had to replace the battery after 2 years. I think Apple has done a lot of work to offset the extra heat generated by the fast chargers.
Interesting. I charged my 11 with an 18w and the battery still lasted all day after four years, health at 84%. My 15p battery actually seems worse so far. Definitely loses more percentage overnight at least

Vespi

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2021
I have a release iphone 11 non pro with its original battery, at 79% health, charged only with 5w, every night, I still get like 8h screen on time

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Neat, didn't know this existed! I installed it, but was very surprised when it showed my 15PM as having a whopping 97 battery cycles, since I've only had it for a few weeks. Turns out it was my fault... in the list of log files that you tap on to have the automation parse are logs for both my iPhone and Watch, and I had tapped on the one for the Watch instead.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
October 13 2022 100% (brand new)
June 1st 2023 99% (almost 8 months later)
October 14th 2023 98% (4 months later)
October 20th 2023 97% (6 days later)
October 30th 2023 96% (10 days later)

Here’s some interesting data regarding my battery health. I keep a close eye on it as you can tell. I’m really curious how apple “estimates” this number and what really goes into it. Like is it just ticking down a percentage at certain charge cycle numbers? Is it taking into consideration the temperature of the battery and number of deep discharges? I’m guessing it’s a lot of stuff that we’ll never really get to know.

It is weird how once you get below 98% battery health it starts to drop faster and then eventually it seems to “settle” again say in the mid or low 90’s before dropping at a faster rate again. This has been my experience with the battery health meter since they introduced it and the same seems to be happening with my 14 pro which is fine. Still have amazing battery life. Still charging overnight with the 5W!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
October 13 2022 100% (brand new)
June 1st 2023 99% (almost 8 months later)
October 14th 2023 98% (4 months later)
October 20th 2023 97% (6 days later)
October 30th 2023 96% (10 days later)

Here’s some interesting data regarding my battery health. I keep a close eye on it as you can tell. I’m really curious how apple “estimates” this number and what really goes into it. Like is it just ticking down a percentage at certain charge cycle numbers? Is it taking into consideration the temperature of the battery and number of deep discharges? I’m guessing it’s a lot of stuff that we’ll never really get to know.

It is weird how once you get below 98% battery health it starts to drop faster and then eventually it seems to “settle” again say in the mid or low 90’s before dropping at a faster rate again. This has been my experience with the battery health meter since they introduced it and the same seems to be happening with my 14 pro which is fine. Still have amazing battery life. Still charging overnight with the 5W!
Battery life will remain the same until you update far enough. I reckon it’s too soon for the 14 Pro, but you can charge with 5W. It won’t hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.