Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm thinking that they have a very tough job coming up with something that would be as impactful as the 1984 ad. Can't even imagine what they'd use as a theme, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the design concept meetings. :D

D

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
If true, they must have a monumental product introduction in mind. The 1984 ad counts as possibly the most well-known product introduction in media history. Apple would be shamed into oblivion if they launched another Super Bowl ad without a similarly "revolutionary" product.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by moosecat
If true, they must have a monumental product introduction in mind. The 1984 ad counts as possibly the most well-known product introduction in media history. Apple would be shamed into oblivion if they launched another Super Bowl ad without a similarly "revolutionary" product.

And that's the other side of the coin. What could they be advertising - it would have to be huge - and if we're already hearing rumors about the 970 at WWDC, well, that rules that one out.

I wonder if the SuperBowl dates for 04 are near MWSF.......

D

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I know I'm going out on a limb here. Maybe the Power 5? :confused: If they intoduce the 970 in the summer, they could bring in the power 5 for super high end systems in Jan. Who knows.

CheekyGit

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Alabama
Maybe they will annouce that the 17" PowerBooks are finally shipping... J/K.

I do hope the announcement will be the 970. Still, that's a long time to wait. Oh well, I'm patient.

CheekyGit :D

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I really don't think they need to introduce a new product with everything apple does. They don't even need to "out-do" the 1984. But basically make a good, moving commercial that shows where Apple has been the last 20 years. Basically a commercial to advertise Apple as a company.. No need to advertise a single product.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Two Tegian Ideas

1) The First 64-Bit Laptop. The Power Book Advanced.

2) The First Consumer 3-D Displays.

3) Mac OS XI (Pronounced Zai), The Stability of Unix, the Usibility of Mac OS, and capable of running Windows Based Programs (Highly Doubtful)

4) Renaming Macintosh -> to another apple, like Breaburn (Brae OS), Fuji (Fuj OS), etc.

My 24601 Cent Ideas...

TEG

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by timbloom
I really don't think they need to introduce a new product with everything apple does. They don't even need to "out-do" the 1984. But basically make a good, moving commercial that shows where Apple has been the last 20 years. Basically a commercial to advertise Apple as a company.. No need to advertise a single product.

Very good point and lets them not have to compete against the 1984 commercial, which wil be tough. But it will probably have something to do with the future and Apple. Especially if we have new processors by that time and are on a more competitive standing with Wintel.

D

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by timbloom

I think that's right -- they could do a piece on how great Apple is. But I do think they either must introduce something monumental or introduce nothing at all. If they introduce something, but it is not particularly revolutionary, whatever that product is will be clouded by comparisons to the original Mac and the commercial that launched it.

That said, I'd still lean in favor of a product introduction. Steve Jobs loves the stage; he loves drama and surprise. The Super Bowl is the perfect medium for a message that will deliver all of that.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, MWSF starts on January 5th and the SuperBowl is in Houston on the 1st of February. Doesn't rule out something new, but then they wouldn't have a commercial being the first to advertise a new thing anyway.

Unfortunately, if the 970s came out officially at MWSF (I hope not), the SuperBowl ad would be perfect for touting the 64bit architecture and speed....

D

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by yzedf
Some bookworm types find the 1984 Macintosh ad to be a bit plagiaristic!

Plagiaristic?! (by the way, kudos on the correct spelling, a seeming rarity on MR boards lately...)

It's called an homage. They weren't copying Orwell's book or idea and passing it off as their own, in fact, they even mention the title of the book in the ad!

"See why 1984 won't be like '1984'".

Regards,
Gus

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Re: 1984...2004 - Superbowl Ad?

Originally posted by Macrumors
LoopRumors claims that Apple is already working on a 2004 Superbowl commercial with thei ad adency -- Chiat Day.

Yet another reason to believe that the Mac will so fundametally change in 2003 that in January of 2004 we will need a monumental ad on the scope of the 1984 superbowl ad to show it off.

God, I love this.

The 970 is a certainty, nah-sayers.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Originally posted by yzedf
There is no way that the 2004 ad could have the impact of 1984.

Don't forget the story by the name of 1984...

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/

Some bookworm types find the 1984 Macintosh ad to be a bit plagiaristic! :rolleyes: But that is for another thread altogether...

Yeah... especially since 2001 is the year we make contact and 2010 has that scary monolith again.

Hmmm.... *shudders*

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by Gus
Plagiaristic?! (by the way, kudos on the correct spelling, a seeming rarity on MR boards lately...)

It's called an homage. They weren't copying Orwell's book or idea and passing it off as their own, in fact, they even mention the title of the book in the ad!

"See why 1984 won't be like '1984'".

Regards,
Gus

I was more thinking about the fact that the TV ad that is considered the most memorable of all time, was not an original idea. Homage or not.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Asbestos suit on....

Who besides mac fans remember the 1984 ad campaign? Being a switcher, I sure don't. I don't even know what it was, yet everyone here seems to be saying "Oh they have to top 1984" "It will be humiliating if they don't top the 1984 campaign". I bet you 50% of the people open to buying a mac (those that are 30 and under) were too young to remember an ad campaign from 20 years ago (they'd have been at the most 10 in 1984). What's the big deal?

-p

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
to correct myself

I realize that "many" consider the 1984 ad to be the best ad of all time, but a) I don't know who "many" are and b) it doesn't change the fact that most people probably don't remember it (I asked around and only 2 out of 5 had a vague idea about what I was talking about all of which were under 30).

-p

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Hey now

I can remember the 1984 commercial like it was yesterday. I was at a superbowl party and was so drunk that I could not see straight. I remember thinking that the IBM guy was Max Headroom. Who here even knows who Max headroom was?

Anyway, I ended up going to jail later that night, but thats a different story.

Good times.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
The 1984 ad was a once in a lifetime opportunity. You had everyone at that time looking forward nervously to 1984 for decades. It was a palpable thing in the air. Then to have an ad that played on that Big Brother theme and have it air 1/1984 was powerful.

1984 was somewhat like when people were looking forward to 2000 except that 2000 had no energy to it. It was just like watching the odometer flip over on the car. 1984 was ominous. The government would be monitoring all of your electronic communications, searching your luggage when you travel, arresting you and holding you without charges - oh wait, that's 2004.

mikulashek

macrumors member
I hope to see them go back to the drawing board with their ads, the old ads were so powerful and now though from a design perspective the are great they dont really hit you with "wow, I need an apple." in fact all computer ads right now seem pretty lame, cant get any lamer than cows though.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by mikulashek
I hope to see them go back to the drawing board with their ads, the old ads were so powerful and now though from a design perspective the are great they dont really hit you with "wow, I need an apple." in fact all computer ads right now seem pretty lame, cant get any lamer than cows though.

Sure, it's all opinion, but I beg to differ. I have heard a lot of great feedback about the Apple ads from non-Apple fans. Obviously I love the ads since I love most things Apple but to have huge non-computer carers and PC lovers love the ads is a great thing.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Since apple is moving away from the 'minimalist' commercials, i would really like them to go back to older styles... anyone remember the ads for the Quadra and the classic? totally fun, attention-grabbing...

it'd be the best if they could get the voice from that ad period, it'd be really cool...

not exactly topping 1984, but then what does? someone asked why it's important... It was the first superbowl ad ever to spend so much time and money on the commercial and airspace... suddenly a war started and sponsorship hit new levels... hence the current superbowl ad mania...

that was back when apple gave a damn about things like drugs, drama and rolling out sod in the desert for a concert...

:)
pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.