Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minux

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2002
Washington D.C
WRONG.

The 1984 ad had nothing to do with Orwell's book.

In fact, they were simply mentioning that the Macintosh will change the way you look at the world [which is why when the gray people are inhaling the new air they change the angle of their head (showing the different way they view their world)]

Additionally, the runner with the hammer showed the speed/strength difference between the Macintosh (note the apple on her shirt), and the PCs (note that she was out running him, and the blast of the hammer to the screen made them vanish - which is what Apple thought would happen to the PC when they released the Macintosh).

Mike

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by minux
WRONG.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Attachments

• apple.jpg
    apple.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 677

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by peterjhill
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Good call. That, and all the thematic similarities (video demagogue, mindless automotons, military police, etc.). Just because the runner is not in the book doesn't mean it wasn't a takeoff of it.

"Nothing" is way too strong.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Awimoway
Good call. That, and all the thematic similarities (video demagogue, mindless automotons, military police, etc.). Just because the runner is not in the book doesn't mean it wasn't a takeoff of it.

"Nothing" is way too strong.

While I agree with you, I would just be a bit hesitant about using a word like "takeoff"... it is not like they tried to make people believe that their ad had nothing to do with the book.. they fully embrase the book.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
Originally posted by CheekyGit
Maybe they will annouce that the 17" PowerBooks are finally shipping... J/K.
CheekyGit :D

Too funny. :D I laughed when I read this too.

I would think that Apple has already established itself as a brand for innovation. So, if they did do a Superbowl ad they might want to come up with something that reiterates that theme... I would think it would be some sort of monumental change in the way we do things to bring the point home: like introducing A.I. as part of the O.S. X or something. I dunno. Well, it should be interesting.

:D

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
so in 1984 Apple comes out with this great commercial (and computer to go with it :D ), saying how bad Big Blue aka IBM is and how they are going to deliver the world from that evil big brother...

now 20years later, IBM seems to be the messiah for Apple, bringing peace, prosperity and a couple more mhz to the mac...isn't that kind of ironic ? Could the new ad reflect that all new and improved relationship ? (...see how 2004 is going to be just like 1984, the year, not the book :p )

Duder

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2002
I forgot
2004 Should be 1984

I say screw the fancy schmancy new ad's just Re Air the 1984 ad and digitally remaster it and start like this: You See the Apple 30 inch High Def Monitor and a intro to the commercial and as you get closer the sound gets louder and louder until the commerical is in full screen it then plays through and at the end it says Happy 20th Anniversary

astrocity20

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by minux
WRONG.

Mike

Hah. Funny. But yeah Just remaster the thing to show where the world is today. And if they really want to get me, they'll have the director of Homelan security on the screen.

Rags

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
Re: 2004 Should be 1984

Originally posted by Duder
I say screw the fancy schmancy new ad's just Re Air the 1984 ad and digitally remaster it and start like this: You See the Apple 30 inch High Def Monitor and a intro to the commercial and as you get closer the sound gets louder and louder until the commerical is in full screen it then plays through and at the and it says Happy 20th Anniversary

You should save this and tell everyone "I told you so!" 'cuz my bet is, you're right...

I like to concept.

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
If true, they must have a monumental product introduction in mind. The 1984 ad counts as possibly the most well-known product introduction in media history. Apple would be shamed into oblivion if they launched another Super Bowl ad without a similarly "revolutionary" product.
Would anyone like to agree with this statement?

The [original] iMac was a monumental product.

If so, let's check out the situation now and down the line:

* G3 iMac GONE
* eMacs on the way out (logical and inevitable)
* Rumors of new processor before end of year

This means:
* High-end systems get new processor
* Low-end systems stick with a G4 until next year...

...when the Super Bowl ad will air, showcasing a new monumental product (a consumer product)... with a new processor (and a new case, style, technologies...)

So regardless of whether you feel the iMac is at any way monumental or revolutionary, I have a feeling Apple will be releasing a product of similar stature to it, for the world.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Show of hands - how many would like to see Apple use another grim, lemmings-style commercial?

Ooh! Ooh! Mememememe!

Dan

Tarje

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
México
Originally posted by Toby O Notoby
Okay, ad man here.

If they are actually doing this I would doubt that it would for the introduction of a new product. Most advertising can be split into brand ads which tout a philosophy (1984 and Think Different, for example) or product ads (the guy dancing out the door with his new iPod).

The original 1984 ad was about revolution. Sure, they could twist it to be about a revolutionary new product, but my guess is they'd use it to show how the revolution was successful.

As long as we're at it, a few fun facts about that spot:

1. It was shot by Ridley Scott not too long after he did "Blade Runner".

2. Apple didn't buy it when they were presented with the idea, so Chiat/Day when ahead shot it out of their own pocket and sold the finished ad.

3. The guy who wrote it had a brother who was really into history, so he had him write "big brother's" fascist speech. You can barely hear it in the ad, but it's actually really well done.
:eek: Weird facts, just what I need!!!!!!!!! Thanks, dude!

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Originally posted by DangerDiabolik
I bet a superbowl ad will be itunes related/ipod related.
Are you hinting that perhaps there'll be releasing new iPods during the Super Bowl? It would work favorably into the intended release schedule...

...perhaps even SPECIAL EDITION iPods? Hmm? Hmm? :D

K12MacTech

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
Originally posted by DangerDiabolik
I bet a superbowl ad will be itunes related/ipod related.

Agreed - especially with the Pepsi promotion that has been announced to begin about the same time.

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
Pepsi have already suggested they will advertise the Pepsi/iTunes giveaway at the Superbowl.
With McDonalds also rumoured to be linked in an Apple ad with the Paris expo special edition iPod could be well on the cards.
Alternatively something completely different after all it is 20 years of the Mac and the line up is pretty complete at the moment hardware wise - perhaps Apple Office?

Drifter

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
The 80GB iPod. :D

No. The World's First 64-bit Computer with Three Processors.

The 43 inch Cinema Display.

The iBook.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Drifter
No. The World's First 64-bit Computer with Three Processors.

You mean the world's first 64-bit PERSONAL computer with 3 processors?!
;)

Originally posted by Awimoway
Maybe so, but special edition products are pretty rare in the Herr Jobs reich

Not really... wasn't all that long ago that I had a SE iMac and at a similar time there were SE iBooks

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
I hope that Applke does do a superbowl ad blitz. In fact, I think they need to ramp up their ad campaigns in general ... Apple is never going to get maketshare if they don't invade the public conciousness.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Sunrunner
I hope that Applke does do a superbowl ad blitz. In fact, I think they need to ramp up their ad campaigns in general ... Apple is never going to get maketshare if they don't invade the public conciousness.

I think that Apple is doing better with advertising. At least here in Boston the iPod and iTunes music store frequent. They have them at MBTA subway stops, buses, and bus shelters. I have seen more for the iPod also on TV than any other previous promotion. :)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by wdlove
I think that Apple is doing better with advertising. At least here in Boston the iPod and iTunes music store frequent. They have them at MBTA subway stops, buses, and bus shelters. I have seen more for the iPod also on TV than any other previous promotion. :)

Mee too.
My parents have Sky TV (here in Holland), and when I was there watching a Champions League football match (the Chelsea game), during half-time the iPod was advertized!
I know many, many Brits (and other Europeans too) were watching the game... it gave me a good feeling. Thats the way to get to the big (euro)crowd! Football in Europe >>> the way to go. As the Superbowl in th US.

El Dandy

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
NY
Originally posted by yzedf
I was more thinking about the fact that the TV ad that is considered the most memorable of all time, was not an original idea. Homage or not.
As far as the adertising agency goes, the Apple 1984 spot is still considered to be one of the best and most impactful/memorable super bowl spots to date. Just cuz your buddy using a PC doesn't remember it in no way means that only mac fanatics remember it.

BTW, don't be surprised if the commercial is good, but it's not much of a huge product. For instance, it could just be a commercial introducing the pepsi-iTunes connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.