Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
jsw said:
You're in luck, then, that Apple's selling them for $50 each - and you get a Shuffle if you buy two. ;)

It took me 3 reads to figure out what the heck you were talking about. ;)

It's sad, but not too long ago I would have bought a shuffle just to get the two stickers... I'm trying to be good now...

BTW: I can't believe it, but I'm at 500 posts!!!

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
jsw said:
You need an avatar... a picture of your new Shuffle, perhaps? ;)

I just made a tar... I just need to be able to upload it now... I cropped a part of my wallpaper I've been using since the middle of last year.

Believe it or not, but I believe someone is already using the Shuffle as their tar. I also believe i've seen a Mac Mini as a tar.

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
you can see how many posts you have posted by clicking on the poster's name and select view profile. in this case you could click on your name and it will tell you how many posts you have posted.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Saving my pennies so I can replace my old 1st gen 5gig iPod with a 1Gig iPod Shuffle... :cool:

None of the other iPods made me want to upgrade from the 5gig - but strangely the Shuffle does even though it has 1/5th of the storage capacity.

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
jsw said:
You get a free 13-song album off of iTMS (not any 13 songs - the 13 on the album Apple put together).

Thats cool. I wonder if this offer applies in Canada.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I wan't a shuffle, but my old G3 iMac only has USB 1.1, so to get any kind of usable transfer speeds I'd have to use iTunes on my PC.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
jsw said:
My advice: as soon as you see one, buy one. Figure out the justification on your way home.

Good advice there, jsw. I'll just swing by the AS today and pick me up a 512MB Shuffle and that iSight camera I've been eyeing. I'm sure the ensuing verbal flogging will be worth it! :eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Brandon Sharitt said:
I wan't a shuffle, but my old G3 iMac only has USB 1.1, so to get any kind of usable transfer speeds I'd have to use iTunes on my PC.
Just keep in mind that the Shuffle transfers at barely faster than USB 1.1 speeds. Later today I'll post the USB 1.1 transfer rate (gotta run now). But I suspect that USB 1.1 won't be all that horrible.

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
True. You can charge it up at the same you are transfering songs at USB1.1 speeds. It is not as terrible as trying to fill up 40GB on a USB1 connection. :p

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
jsw said:
Just keep in mind that the Shuffle transfers at barely faster than USB 1.1 speeds. Later today I'll post the USB 1.1 transfer rate (gotta run now). But I suspect that USB 1.1 won't be all that horrible.

I hope it's that slow, well not necessarily for it to be slow, I just hope USB 1.1 doesn't make a difference. Although if it does then I would have and easier time justifying getting a real iPod.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
USB 1.1 speeds

Looks like it'll take ~16 minutes to fill a 512MB iPod Shuffle with USB1.1 (took ~4 minutes to do ~128MB when plugged into the USB 1.1 port on my Apple Cinema Display). So, probably, a little over a half an hour to fill the 1GB.

Roughly a third the speed of USB 2 loads.

Not fast, but since, as mentioned above, it charges as it fills, really not too bad. Plug it in, take a shower, pull it and go to class/work.

intrepkid21

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
Long Island, New York
I'm concerned with the cap that you need to remove to expose the USB interface..when changing between the lanyard cap, the regular cap, and removal of the cap, do things begin to get loose? The last thing I want is the shuffle to fall off of my neck while I'm wearing it. Is the cap reinforced with anything?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Both caps (lanyard and plain) have ball bearings spring-loaded to press against depressions on the USB plug, so I think they'll stay tight for quite some time.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Select 128 bit option...

Note:

Be sure to select the "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps..." option in preferences (iTunes iPod prefs, be sure Shuffle is selected if you have more than one iPod connected). Sounds the same, fits in more songs.

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
jsw said:
Both caps (lanyard and plain) have ball bearings spring-loaded to press against depressions on the USB plug, so I think they'll stay tight for quite some time.

A thief would need to know where to press to steal it off your neck. Apple is ingenious when it comes to details like these. Same detail applies to their firewire cables that need to be depressed for the 3rd, 4th gen iPods and iPod mini.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Mine is supposed to ship today...can't wait to use it this weekend - I have a 14-mile training run. :D

It will be nice not to have a big iPod strapped to my arm.

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
FightTheFuture said:
i like the way you think. thanks for the review. if i can get any discount on one i'm picking it up. i'm tired of having to worry if my arms are striding too close to my headphone cord when i'm on the treadmill - let alone if my ipod will stay on the book holder amongst the constant stomping.

i'm also tired of having to unplug the itrip when i'm leaving the car, put on the headphones, change the track, put it into my pocket blah blah blah... we're mac users, we should be able to minimize.

one thing though - i'm wondering if the "dorky" lanyard may become a big fashion statement! i cant wait to wear that around the office and annoy my coworkers. it didn't work so well with the early sony mp3 players though. :confused:

You can receive $10 off coupon good at an Apple store by taking this Apple survey. You do have to spend $100 or more to use it though. I bought the 512MB shuffle and a $15 iTunes gift card to bump it over $100.

http://www.apple.com/retail/feedback/index.html

I've been wanting to use the iPod in my car without an iTrip or all those wires hanging out. I got a new stereo and the Alpine integration kit put in my car. Now I can have the iPod in my glove box and play all my music through the stereo. The iPod turns off after two minutes when you turn off the engine so you don't have to worry about it draining your car battery. It isn't cheap, but I highly recommend getting one if you have the funds.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I ordered mine already and since it had to replace my jump drive it needed to be the 1GB. It'll complement my iPod mini perfectly because it's just awesome for sports and places I don't really want to take my mini.
I think there'll be a lot of people buying this thing that already have iPods.

Now I just hope it gets here fast... :D

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Great review JSW thanks. This might be a dumb question but if you listen to it in straight playlist mode, and turn it off, does it pick up where it left off, or from the beginning? Just curious and I haven't seen anything about it. Thanks

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
Nickygoat said:
Great review JSW thanks. This might be a dumb question but if you listen to it in straight playlist mode, and turn it off, does it pick up where it left off, or from the beginning? Just curious and I haven't seen anything about it. Thanks

It picks up where you left off. I just turned mine off in mid song and turned it back on and it picked up right where I left off.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
nfocus design said:
It picks up where you left off. I just turned mine off in mid song and turned it back on and it picked up right where I left off.
Thanks. I assumed it would - monumentally stupid for it not to. All I have to do now is monitor the London availabilty thread to see when I can get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.