Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
3Memos said:
A thief would need to know where to press to steal it off your neck...
Actually, the ball bearings are inside the caps - you just pull on the caps, and they come off (but the bearings keep them from merely slipping off, or getting loose). There's no need to depress anything to steal it, but, then again, it's hanging from your neck, so I'd assume it'd be pretty obvious if someone reached for it!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
3Memos said:
I would do a karate chop to the neck.
Not too effective - the lanyard cord wouldn't snap. ;)

BTW, battery life is quite good; I've plugged it in a few times for song uploading, timings, etc., but, generally, it charges quickly and takes a long time to run down. Seems like the 512MB will play the entire playlist - no problems - before running out of charge, even at normal volumes.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jsw said:
I can only assume you mean an iPod Shuffle. No? ;)

You bet!
1Gb please, my card is feeling neglected from lack of action... :D

Apple Store only 15 mins away and not a drop to drink.

And now, I almost detect an unmistakable air of smugness about your posts. Like the cat who has swallowed the cream, like the man who has his cake and is eating it right this very minute.

I hate you. :D :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Blue Velvet said:
You bet!
1Gb please, my card is getting feeling neglected from lack of action... :D
Again, sorry, born in the Midwest here, not too familiar with British/Kiwi euphemisms. I sort of understand the "lack of action" reference, not too sure of the rest of it. Come again?

Blue Velvet said:

And now, I almost detect an unmistakable air of smugness about your posts. Like the cat who has swallowed the cream, like the man who has his cake and is eating it right this very minute.

What? Sorry, I couldn't hear you. The volume was turned up a bit too high on my Shuffle, and I was distracted while reading my weather forecast on my 4G. :D

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
Blue Velvet said:
You bet!

Well, you may not have a shuffle yet, but at least you have a big beautiful Apple store. Unlike the ones here in Texas.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Blue Velvet said:
You bet!

Don't forget that you get to work with Macs for a living. I have to do it on the side. You win.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
jsw said:
Again, sorry, born in the Midwest here, not too familiar with British/Kiwi euphemisms. I sort of understand the "lack of action" reference, not too sure of the rest of it. Come again?

I think his credit card is feeling neglected because he hasn't used it enough

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jsw said:
Don't forget that you get to work with Macs for a living. I have to do it on the side. You win.

Hmm.. Do you think that dual 2.5ghz G5 would make a handy portable music player?

It's got the looks, admittedly... and it could hold loads of songs!
The Beastie Boys had their VW badges... it could work.

The ultimate in bling.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Great to hear that its a good buy. I'm probably going to buy a 1 gig version when they're available the next time I'm in Chicago or Indy :D

D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Blue Velvet said:
Hmm.. Do you think that dual 2.5ghz G5 would make a handy portable music player?

It's got the looks, admittedly... and it could hold loads of songs!
The Beastie Boys had their VW badges... it could work.

The ultimate in bling.
If you could wear one of those and a portable generator around your neck then, well, my mental image of you is way off base!

But it would be cool if you could pull it off - no other iPod could burn CDs for people who liked what you were listening to!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mr. Anderson said:
Great to hear that its a good buy. I'm probably going to buy a 1 gig version when they're available the next time I'm in Chicago or Indy :D

D
Well, I think the 1GB would take too long to load. If you get one and get annoyed at the load times, I suppose I'd consider trading my 512MB to you for it, maybe, if I'm feeling generous, probably even at no charge to you, simply because I respect the work you do around here.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
jsw said:
I'll find out tomorrow.... ;)

BTW, there's no way of telling a 512MB from a 1GB version, as far as I can tell. So, although I have the lowly (but in stock) 512MB, I can hold my head as high as a 1GB owner.

i believe it says the capacity on the metal bit of the actual usb connecter

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
chaos86 said:
i believe it says the capacity on the metal bit of the actual usb connecter

You are correct. Here is a photo.

Attachments

• 512.jpg
    512.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 130

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
nfocus design said:
You are correct. Here is a photo.
Hmmm.....

*** madly rubs away at metal bit with sandpaper ***

I don't see it. ;)

BTW, another plus for the Shuffle: just took a nap with it. As I was about to fall asleep, I pulled out the earphones and that was that. No worries.

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
jsw said:
Hmmm.....

*** madly rubs away at metal bit with sandpaper ***

I don't see it. ;)

BTW, another plus for the Shuffle: just took a nap with it. As I was about to fall asleep, I pulled out the earphones and that was that. No worries.

I can't believe you missed that little detail in your review :)
I didn't notice it at first either.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
baummer said:
Thanks for a great review! I just got my iPod 4GB mini...should of waited as I've used maybe just shy of 1GB so far. :)
Hey, no worries - when you can afford it, get a Shuffle to go along with your mini. I do really like the latest iPod, but the ones with a display and hard drive have a number of advantages as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.