Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If it doesn't look like a watch, then what is the point? I can run out and buy a crappy Samsung watch or a pebble.

The iPhone didn't look like any other phone, so what was the point?

The iPod didn't look like any other music player, so what was the point?

The iPad didn't look like any other tablet or computer, so what was the point?

If you want something that looks like something else, then you should buy the Samsung or Pebble. What you probably should not do is wait for Apple to put out a product that looks like something you've already seen.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Its not a bad idea, but yeah 6 days battery life in that thin body, i don't think so, or running those apps. As mentioned it'll probably be a mirror of the iphone and a way to send the sensor info to the phone.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Why does everyone think it makes any sense to run iphone apps on a watch? iWatch apps will not look like iphone apps and a watch won't run iphone apps.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How about flattening it, discarding the strap and rolling out the iPhone Mini? I've read wayyyyyy to many posts from people griping about 4" before Apple went 4" and then 4.7" and 5.5" by saying "I want a smaller phone" and so- to me anyway- this looks like what they want: a tiny iPhone 6 mini. It just needs to be flattened out (not curved) and then see if all that griping actually would lead to sales (though I suspect even that crowd will just jump on those bigger-screened iPhones spinning "best iPhone ever" and "shut up and take my money" as soon as Apple rolls them out).

As a watch, I just don't see it. But I don't see any singular design flying well as an iWatch. Watches have 100+ years of widely varied design history. They are jewelry- often the only piece of jewelry that men actually care about. Men & woman have long-term experience with the variety of designs, shapes, sizes, strap types, colors, materials, etc. It's hard to picture a single design- even the best that Ive could possibly do- being able to make the masses give up that variety. If they do, I predict the iUniform is next. You will comply.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The only way I would want something that big is if it included the phone chip right in the device, no external phone needed.

----------

How about flattening it, discarding the strap and rolling out the iPhone Mini?

The iPhone mini already exists. Its what the iPhone 5S will be called when the iPhone 6 drops in two months ;)

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Can't imagine apple'd fundamentally change the paging interaction, as shown here, to swipe up/down instead of left/right. For a lot of reasons.

But the video is pretty.

My take is that we are going to see something around the size of the existing iPod Nano with a slightly larger screen.

One thing I bet may happen is no third party SDK for the first generation.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Eh...cramming an iPhone interface into your wrist isn't the solution, this concept video and others like it are way off imo; Apple won't be doing anything like this.

Just as Apple didn't try to fit a desktop OS into a smartphone, they will not try to fit a smartphone OS into a smartwatch. Sure, it will probably be based on iOS, but I think that Apple will take a similar sensible approach like Google did with Android Wear, focusing on glanceable and contextually relevant information, as opposed to replicating everything the iPhone does.

DryHeave

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
I'm starting to have my doubts. I know this is a concept, but 6 day battery life in a profile of THAT size hmmm.

No kidding. Seriously, it really only needs a 36-hour battery life, assuming it has cordless charging. Set it down on an inductive charging pad each night and forget about it until morning.

A battery large enough to provide 6 days of battery life (I mean with actual use) is going to be overkill as well as take up too much space and weight.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
This is like wearing google glass.
Nerdy tacky uncool and possibly haven't been laid in a year (assuming not married).

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
This is why developing a new product category is really really hard. You know you've got a knockout hit when it does something so obvious, but yet has never been done before or at least in a unique way. This was what the iPhone was and it's hard to imagine a smartphone before it or any other way.

Can Apple repeat another knockout hit with the iWatch? We'll see.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
The iPhone didn't look like any other phone, so what was the point?

The iPod didn't look like any other music player, so what was the point?

The iPad didn't look like any other tablet or computer, so what was the point?

If you want something that looks like something else, then you should buy the Samsung or Pebble. What you probably should not do is wait for Apple to put out a product that looks like something you've already seen.

The difference with these devices is that they are not, and were never intended to be worn on the body in direct sight. Watches are about form more than function. The design shown above is nothing but pure function. The iWatch needs to be astetically pleasing, and actually look like a watch to be a financial success.

txpilot82

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
That doesn't look "slightly rectangular" to my eyes. Along with many others here, I'm hoping Apple's concept is much better than slapping iOS as done on the iPhone onto one's wrist.

^
Agreed. Might as well get a Reebok armband and wear your iPhone.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Agreed.

Remember in 2006 when people making "iPhone Concepts" were all convinced it would just be a big iPod that can make phone calls?

Great example. It also shows how genuinely new the iPhone was.

----------

I know, right?

“Honey, I shrunk the kids^H^H^H^HiPad, and strapped it to my wrist!”

I've seen this problem before where something is replaced with "^H^H^H^H". Is it some text encoding conversion bug?

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
iOS on iWatch

I can totally imagine the iWatch having a similar version of iOS to that of the iPhone or iPad. When the iPad was announced, it's first commercial stated, "You already know how to use it." How would you already know how to use it, if it hadn't run iPhone OS? It seems unlike Apple to stray away from a well know OS, especially if all other smartwatches currently on the market use an odd, non-phone-like OS. If Apple was willing to use iPhone OS on the iPad, a brand new product category, when it was less know to the masses, why wouldn't they use it on a brand new category product now, four years and millions more users?

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
2.5-Inch iWatch Concept With Curved, Rectangular Display Demoed in New Video

The difference with these devices is that they are not, and were never intended to be worn on the body in direct sight. Watches are about form more than function. The design shown above is nothing but pure function. The iWatch needs to be astetically pleasing, and actually look like a watch to be a financial success.

It can look good without looking like a watch.

Looking like a geeky digital watch (like the demo or almost all android watches this far) would alienate many people.
On the other hand if it looks like a classical watch (moto 360), it would be alienating people who like to wear many watches or luxury watches.

Alternatively, it could look discrete like those fitness wearables on the market.
I would prefer the latter but only time will tell.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I think that if it's 2.5 inches it will be landscape orientation to fit along the wrist.

Also, I'll say it again -

The future: :p

MeowMeowBeenz_ID_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.