Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The difference with these devices is that they are not, and were never intended to be worn on the body in direct sight. Watches are about form more than function. The design shown above is nothing but pure function. The iWatch needs to be astetically pleasing, and actually look like a watch to be a financial success.

The difference with these devices is that all of them already exist, so it would bizarre to say now what so many said about them before they were released.

Which is exactly what you are saying now.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Hate to say it but this is a poor mock-up at best.
As everyone's been saying its too big.
Apples been taking its time getting this right as putting out an inferior product would be a real blow
Have faith. When this Iwatch comes out its going to turn heads

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
The good thing about the Phantom iWatch is that Apple MUST be considering the whole market when it comes to this size of this device. The design must sport various sizes simply so that women can wear the thing too.

This doesn't mean they have to design it to be feminine, just give people the option to choose a size. If you're a huge 6ft 7" guy then you can get away with a 'L' size device, but if you have more slender wrists then you'll likely go for the 'S'

And if Apple do push audio as the major input method for this thing (horrible thought to me) then you won't need acres of screen real estate anyway.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
How about flattening it, discarding the strap and rolling out the iPhone Mini? I've read wayyyyyy to many posts from people griping about 4" before Apple went 4" and then 4.7" and 5.5" by saying "I want a smaller phone" and so- to me anyway- this looks like what they want: a tiny iPhone 6 mini. It just needs to be flattened out (not curved) and then see if all that griping actually would lead to sales (though I suspect even that crowd will just jump on those bigger-screened iPhones spinning "best iPhone ever" and "shut up and take my money" as soon as Apple rolls them out).

As a watch, I just don't see it. But I don't see any singular design flying well as an iWatch. Watches have 100+ years of widely varied design history. They are jewelry- often the only piece of jewelry that men actually care about. Men & woman have long-term experience with the variety of designs, shapes, sizes, strap types, colors, materials, etc. It's hard to picture a single design- even the best that Ive could possibly do- being able to make the masses give up that variety. If they do, I predict the iUniform is next. You will comply.

No if it's going to be small then it should be small not oddly sized like this thing.
By small i mean like watch sized. full sun light always readable screen but only needs to relay basic info. Built-in VoLTE for phone calls. Text and commands by Siri.

Not some half baked accessory to a phone.

Hollywood promised me flying cars and watch phones by now at least Apple could deliver on one of them.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..If it's 1.3-1.7" then no way, but if it's 2.5" I can easily see them doing that.

I agree, those little 1.3" screens would seem way too tiny for any kind of useful purpose, and would probably have severely restricted functionality. Considerably larger 2.5" displays on the other hand, especially if they are of the form-fitting, slightly curved variety, would allow for a lot more on-screen info as well as better readability on the go.

Whatever transpires, I fully expect to be wowed once again.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
At this point I really can't see where Apple are going to pull the rabbit out of the hat. So many companies have now jumped on the smart watch bandwagon, all with what look like really bad products (disclaimer: I haven't seen any in the flesh, but then none have grabbed me enough to make the effort).

In the past they have (nearly) always come good and transformed the market. I really hope they do this time. Personally I've already got too many devices I need to keep charged so I will probably stick with my dumb Seiko Kinetic Autorelay ;)

Wont stop me following the iWatch with interest though.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
You know what would be cool?

You know what would be really cool?

If Apple were to working on an iWatch for quite some time, long enough to the point where Steve Jobs had some input in the final years of his life (Rest his Soul), then what would be cool, if to honour his history with the company, they made a video of him (while he was still alive of course) introducing the idea of an iWatch to be shown at the launch event as a hologram (by hologram i mean the same trickery that is used to make a 2d projection look like a hologram), or even just showing him on the big screen. This could be a tribute to the fact that Steve Jobs has introduced almost every new product category that Apple has entered that I know of. Just saying...

Roger Wade

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014

If Apple were to working on an iWatch for quite some time, long enough to the point where Steve Jobs had some input in the final years of his life (Rest his Soul), then what would be cool, if to honour his history with the company, they made a video of him (while he was still alive of course) introducing the idea of an iWatch to be shown at the launch event as a hologram (by hologram i mean the same trickery that is used to make a 2d projection look like a hologram), or even just showing him on the big screen. This could be a tribute to the fact that Steve Jobs has introduced almost every new product category that Apple has entered that I know of. Just saying...

This seems more creepy than "cool".

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
This seems more creepy than "cool".

Meh, maybe I worded it completely wrong, but i though it would be cool if there was a pre-recorded video of jobs introducing the iWatch brand, kind of like when Howard Stark was shown to introduce the crowd to the stark expo in Iron Man 2 you know, continuing the legacy type thing. They may not have done it for any other launches, but it would be cool if they did it for the launch of an entire new product. But think of it as you want.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007

Someone just watched Prometheus...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I still think this one is better. I like the band on it.

iwatchmockup.jpg

Can't wait to see Samsung make bigger watches. 2.5" is so 2007. I need me a phabtabwatchlet

People may joke about that but Apple are indeed making bigger and bigger phones.
/sticks with 4S

Roger Wade

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
Meh, maybe I worded it completely wrong, but i though it would be cool if there was a pre-recorded video of jobs introducing the iWatch brand, kind of like when Howard Stark was shown to introduce the crowd to the stark expo in Iron Man 2 you know, continuing the legacy type thing. They may not have done it for any other launches, but it would be cool if they did it for the launch of an entire new product. But think of it as you want.

Putting that much thought into a product announcement that you have no involvement in is creepy regardless of how it's worded.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Putting that much thought into a product announcement that you have no involvement in is creepy regardless of how it's worded.

What if he was working on it? You never know, no matter how much the internet manages to reveal about upcoming products, Apple may still have a few secrets left. As far as i know, no one actually knows how long Apple has had this one in the making. And what if Jobs personally wanted to launch this product himself, but knew that he would never be able to.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Nonsense, it's just a small iPhone, SJ would have never done this. I mean, could you imagine the iPad would have been a much bigger iphone instead of a magical experience of internet in your hands? Oh wait...

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I still think this one is better. I like the band on it.

iwatchmockup.jpg

Can't wait to see Samsung make bigger watches. 2.5" is so 2007. I need me a phabtabwatchlet

LMAO! Soo true...

A wrist tablet. Just take a nano and strap a band to it and keep it moving. That's pretty simple. It's how I've seen people using this stuff anyway.

rhomsy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
The originally iPhone used a bitmap screen to solve a problem. What problem is being solved by using a bitmapped screen on a watch? Unless the display is on all of the time, it's actually less functional since you'll be wearing a watch with a blank face unless you press a button or something.

If the watch/device being designed by apple is something that would integrate with an iPhone, then it can be a mechanical watch with sensors that communicate with the phone. Or it could be a hybrid device that is part mechanical and part bitmap.

Or, it might not even be a watch at all.

Apple doesn't just put out products for the sake of putting out products. They solve problems in people's lives or does something to improve their lives. None of the smart-watches introduced over the past few years do that for me. They are gimmicks or superfluous toys. I expect more from Apple.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
that's one wide watch.. you could probably fit two wrists inside that band, and still have room for another.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I'd wait a few more years...

I'd wait a few more years. Remember when the 1st iPad came out and now we have the iPad Air, ya... Give it a few generations...

Love you all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.