Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Yes exactly and there is nothing else you can do....

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
With 2FA you will need either a trusted device or a trusted phone number you have added like I described.
What I wonder is if I can still access my account when I lose my phone (not the number) and I only have that phone as a trusted device? Losing a phone has a higher odds than losing icloud password.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
What I wonder is if I can still access my account when I lose my phone (not the number) and I only have that phone as a trusted device? Losing a phone has a higher odds than losing icloud password.
You need to have access to (1) a trusted device or (2) a trusted phone number. You only need to be able to receive the verification code to access the account. By default, there's only the phone number set up on the iPhone as a trusted number but you can add more and any device running iOS 9 or later or El Capitan or later and signed into iCloud is automatically a trusted device. If you don't have access to either a trusted number or device, you must use Account Recovery to regain access to your device.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
However if you get a new phone number the phone number isn't automatically updated. You have to do that. I just received my notification email and my window to unlock my son's account is Friday the 9th. So a week. Like I said I was able to setup a temporary Apple ID so at least he isn't totally without. Nothing worse than a put out teenager. :)
[doublepost=1517794980][/doublepost]I even tried texting his old number and no reply so I guess that number hasn't been reassigned to a new customer yet.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
However if you get a new phone number the phone number isn't automatically updated. You have to do that. I just received my notification email and my window to unlock my son's account is Friday the 9th. So a week. Like I said I was able to setup a temporary Apple ID so at least he isn't totally without. Nothing worse than a put out teenager. :)
[doublepost=1517794980][/doublepost]I even tried texting his old number and no reply so I guess that number hasn't been reassigned to a new customer yet.
If you change phone numbers, it should prompt you to change the trusted phone number (at least on iOS 11).

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Sure hope you sort this out - my brother still can't access his original Apple ID over a year later, and had to create a new Apple ID to use.

Fortunately he didn't lose many purchases at all, being new to Apple, but he had to reconstruct his contacts and old photos from an old phone because he didn't have a computer that was syncing with the cloud. I gave him an iPhone 5, iPad mini, and old 12" MacBook after he got locked out, so now he'll have various ways to backup his data physically and not just to the cloud, and to have a trusted device to get back into his account the next time.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Two factor authentication is a no go for me.

1. Work place blocks emails. So I can’t even verify as part of 2 step if I used my email as one of the backup mechanisms.

2. If I don’t have a second device (iPad/Mac). I’m really screwed when doing 2 step.

Sucks. I want to have Apple Pay cash. But will not have it.

I will continue using Venmo

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Two factor authentication is a no go for me.

1. Work place blocks emails. So I can’t even verify as part of 2 step if I used my email as one of the backup mechanisms.

2. If I don’t have a second device (iPad/Mac). I’m really screwed when doing 2 step.

Sucks. I want to have Apple Pay cash. But will not have it.

I will continue using Venmo
Email is not a "backup mechanism" for either Two-Factor Authentication or Two-Step Verification. Email is an alternative to security questions with the default level of account security.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

In that case you would be able to use one of the secondary, trusted numbers. But yeah.... if you only have the one number in there as trusted you are going to be in a bad way.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Email is not a "backup mechanism" for either Two-Factor Authentication or Two-Step Verification. Email is an alternative to security questions with the default level of account security.
I’m talking if I lose my iPhone.

I can’t logon to iCloud (work blocks emails)

I can’t login to someone else find my iPhone cause it has to be a “trusted” device

So how am I suppose to ping my iPhone if it gets lost at work if I don’t have access to a trusted device.

That’s the issue with two step anything process.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
I’m talking if I lose my iPhone.

I can’t logon to iCloud (work blocks emails)

I can’t login to someone else find my iPhone cause it has to be a “trusted” device

So how am I suppose to ping my iPhone if it gets lost at work if I don’t have access to a trusted device.

That’s the issue with two step anything process.
You can access the Find My iPhone interface without needing the verification code on iCloud.com.

Reactions: Table Top Joe

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
In that case you would be able to use one of the secondary, trusted numbers. But yeah.... if you only have the one number in there as trusted you are going to be in a bad way.
And that’s what I am afraid of. Also, the inability to roll back sucks even more if I choose to opt in.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You can access the Find My iPhone interface without needing the verification code on iCloud.com.

Work blocks iCloud.com and all other email accounts.

That’s the issue.

This is why two step is a failed method
Unless I physically carry another one of my “trusted devices” to work which is a pain.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

That’s the issue.

Unless I physically carry another one of my “trusted devices” to work which is a pain.
So the work place blocks the access of https://www.icloud.com completely you mean? That sucks.
Another reason I do not want to hop on any two something. Not critical though.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
So the work place blocks the access of https://www.icloud.com completely you mean? That sucks.
Another reason I do not want to hop on any two something. Not critical though.
Yes. Work blocks iCloud.com

Blocks yahoo

Blocks gmail. Hotmail

Blocks gdrive. One drive etc

Blocks any google ad redirects.

Filters any inappropriate ads

Blocks eBay (yet allows Craigslist and amazon)

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015

That’s the issue.

You didn't specify they block the website. And I don't see why Apple should need to anticipate your workplace's censorship, but it's an optional feature regardless. Use it or don't.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yes. Work blocks iCloud.com

Blocks yahoo

Blocks gmail. Hotmail

Blocks gdrive. One drive etc

Blocks any google ad redirects.

Filters any inappropriate ads

Blocks eBay (yet allows Craigslist and amazon)
This is a pretty targeted block list. I don't see youtube facebook twitter though.

Best advice for old school system is to set security question in such a fashion that answer is completely unrelated to question yet simple enough to remember (such as F8YJH). Also, have a strong password.

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I get a picture of a map and then a code on my other devices but the problem is that it shows up also on the device (ie the MacBook) that I am supposed to be authenticating. Thinking this is a bug?

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Went through this same issue at work and I simply took our ipads down to the store with the receipts and they were able to remove the locks off the ipads. Do not call they are useless and you will be stuck waiting 30 days for another 2FA.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
I get a picture of a map and then a code on my other devices but the problem is that it shows up also on the device (ie the MacBook) that I am supposed to be authenticating. Thinking this is a bug?
This is expected behaviour. The browser isn’t trusted but the computer is.

Went through this same issue at work and I simply took our ipads down to the store with the receipts and they were able to remove the locks off the ipads. Do not call they are useless and you will be stuck waiting 30 days for another 2FA.
That doesn’t help you sign in to an Apple ID.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
So if someone stole my MacBook, they would be able to authenticate with the stolen MacBook as the code shows up there?
If someone stole your MacBook and knew your login password, they would be able to generate verification codes (with or without internet access) and change the Apple ID password from System Preferences > iCloud. The same is true on the iPhone in Settings > iCloud. If someone can access your trusted device(s) with the password/passcode, they have complete access to your Apple ID anyway since the device is "trusted."

This is why keeping your passwords secret is important.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
My brother that I mentioned above did this (took receipt and phone to Apple store), and while they did remove the lock on his iPhone 5, his Apple ID was still locked. So it's not a full solution, and my brother still had to create an new Apple ID and lost all of his previous purchases.

He made the mistake of using an "Obama Phone" flip phone for his other device, but instead of getting a text Apple tried to treat it as a trusted phone and push the auth to it, and it couldn't display the map and the approval button. With 2 step his old phone worked by getting a text with a code, but when he went to 2 factor his old phone could no longer be used to get him into his account.

(Before all this he qualified for a govt subsidized phone but had no internet, so I sent him my old 5 so he could surf the web on it on my AT&T family plan - he didn't have any other Apple devices to use 2FA and blindly turned it on when Apple suggested it. So I sent him the old iPad mini and MacBook from 2012).

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This is a pretty targeted block list. I don't see youtube facebook twitter though.

Best advice for old school system is to set security question in such a fashion that answer is completely unrelated to question yet simple enough to remember (such as F8YJH). Also, have a strong password.
Ha. You are right. YouTube Facebook isn’t blocked. Twitter isn’t blocked either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.