Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
For a little history perspective, a number of years ago, a tech writer's Apple account was comprised due to a cascade of profile vulnerabilities (if I recall correctly, Amazon reset the password for the target based on having address and phone number, which turned over last four digits of credit card, which in turn allowed hackers to "verify" the Apple account, which in turn allowed them to take over the @me/@icloud account and erase the person's digital life and take over everything tied to that email) so Apple being overly cautious with these things, sign me up!

Turbotax is similar regarding this: need to REALLY prove who you are before turning over the keys to the kingdom.

Can't prove, err on the side of caution.

Reactions: Table Top Joe

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Yes. You told them to increase the level of security. Account Recovery helps ensure only you can access the account, as previously discussed.

It looks like we don't understand each other :)
I don't have anything against Apple security measures, on a contrary, that is why, I am with Apple all these years.
I have something against how long it takes for account recovery process to finish
Simple question, why can it bee done in one week?

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
I don't have anything against Apple security measures, on a contrary, that is why, I am with Apple all these years.
I have something against how long it takes for account recovery process to finish
Only a select few people within Apple can tell you exactly why it takes so long for your account. As I mentioned, there are ways to speed up the process (with the email that you may have gotten, providing the credit card, etc). I've seen account recovery work immediately and I've seen it drag on for months.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida

My son's account was ready in 5 days. Not sure why yours takes a month. If you have a non iPhone number I think there is an option to have it call that number and speak the number to you.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
This time I entered my wife's number as a trusted one. So, I will have to wait until the 24th. I really hope that would be it, otherwise I have no other option but to go Android. Damn, I so hate it :mad:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

They likely have a long list of people waiting.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Has anyone tried this before:

apple.com/recover

Is this the same thing as the account recovery?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
OK, so in case anyone is interested, yesterday I finally solved the mess with Apple and account recovery.
One of the senior advisors from UK gave me a call yesterday when the SMS for account recovery arrived and I finally made it. Account recovered and 2FA deactivated.

The only thing we couldn't figure out was, why is my number still shown with double country code, as you can see here:
lCUqsBX.png

This will remain a puzzle. But OK, if ever needed again, I will use some other number as a trusted one. :)

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Without knowing the first thing about how the process works, as a computer person I'd ask of Apple just how their systems seem to think that it's feasible to hace TWO international country code markers in a telephone number.

Seems to me that someone somewhere screwed up the system that stores/validates telephone numbers.

/geekMode=on

Apple, next time use this RegEx:
\+(9[976]\d|8[987530]\d|6[987]\d|5[90]\d|42\d|3[875]\d|
2[98654321]\d|9[8543210]|8[6421]|6[6543210]|5[87654321]|
4[987654310]|3[9643210]|2[70]|7|1)\d{1,14}$

:cool:

/geekMode=off

Congratulations on finally getting access back to your account!

Reactions: bbrks

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I don’t have such unfortunate and unhappy experience cause I know this 2FA thing is a total bs. I do not want to activate it and never will.
Hope you sort out this issue and permanently say good bye to this 2FA cluster*k. Good security question answer is still good enough for account security, as well as good password.

If you want to use Apple Pay Cash you have to have 2FA turned on. If you do not have it on now, you probably are not interested in Apple Pay Cash, however, a lot of people are and you have to have 2FA turned on to use it. It was so easy to setup, and I like knowing that even if someone were to find out my password that they cannot get into my account because they would need the code, which would be with me. It is just nice piece of mind. Good luck, because I think at some point Apple is going to require it on for everyone, no exceptions.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207198

:apple:

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Trust me, I like this ''2FA feature'' even more than you do, if just it would work as designed all the time.
Unfortunately, I have totally different experience.
I know that with my next iPhone X, which could probably arrive already next week, I will eventually have to activate 2FA again, as this will be a default feature in the future, but next time I will at least be clever enough to choose some other number as a trusted one. After this experience I had for the last 3 months, there is just no way I will use my number as trusted one again.

Reactions: TiggrToo

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you want to use Apple Pay Cash you have to have 2FA turned on. If you do not have it on now, you probably are not interested in Apple Pay Cash, however, a lot of people are and you have to have 2FA turned on to use it. It was so easy to setup, and I like knowing that even if someone were to find out my password that they cannot get into my account because they would need the code, which would be with me. It is just nice piece of mind. Good luck, because I think at some point Apple is going to require it on for everyone, no exceptions.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207198

Apple Pay cash will not roll out in Australia anytime soon. Even so, Australia ‘s own paypass system could do most of the thing Apple Pay cash would do. Sending money to someone else is also easy, assuming it is not in a rush. I don’t see any problem not having Apple Pay cash as opposed to Apple Pay.

Regarding forced roll out, we will see.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Apple Pay cash will not roll out in Australia anytime soon. Even so, Australia ‘s own paypass system could do most of the thing Apple Pay cash would do. Sending money to someone else is also easy, assuming it is not in a rush. I don’t see any problem not having Apple Pay cash as opposed to Apple Pay.

Regarding forced roll out, we will see.

Sorry, I did not realize you were in Australia.

I was reading an article about steps big tech companies are taking to help keep their customers safer online, and it mentioned Apple and how they are not going to give the option soon to not have 2FA on. I want to say it was on wired.com, but I will have to do some digging and see where I was reading it for sure.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Trust me, I like this ''2FA feature'' even more than you do, if just it would work as designed all the time.
Unfortunately, I have totally different experience.
I know that with my next iPhone X, which could probably arrive already next week, I will eventually have to activate 2FA again, as this will be a default feature in the future, but next time I will at least be clever enough to choose some other number as a trusted one. After this experience I had for the last 3 months, there is just no way I will use my number as trusted one again.
I'm with you. As soon as my son's account was recovered I entered not his correct number but my cell and my wife's cell numbers. Not only that in my account and my wife's account I listed not only our own number but each other's. Hopefully that will prevent this from happening again.

Xentra

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2017
call apple support, ask for a senior advisor. let them know about your icloud account trouble. verify your account using your security questions. then you should be able to log into your account and edit the phone number to the correct phone number

AGREE! ! ! I did happen last 2016 I am not able login icloud or other tried with tech support live chat and phone been over one year after I write in email to senior Apple tech, I will hire lawyer and go to court they give me reset then it work then turn it off 2FA for life! Pretty wasted my time and they trying me giving up!
[automerge]1582652163[/automerge]
If you have problem with 2FA then get name senior Apple tech then write email to them I will hire lawyer and make sue! zI m sure they will give you hard reset :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.