Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Is that tiny arm really strong enough to support a 20 inch display???

Would be pretty sweet though.

...And expensive.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
let the debate begin... ;)

it does seem infeasible... what's the market for a 20" LCD iMac? (assuming it's a top heavy version of the current one)

arn

loneAzdgari

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
UK, KENT
Originally posted by arn

it does seem infeasible... what's the market for a 20" LCD iMac? (assuming it's a top heavy version of the current one)

arn

Depends on Price and performance. Maybe they could offer this as a BTO option, where you could select your screen size, graphics card, memory etc. A fully BTO iMac would be very popular, and a 20" iMac could be a cheap alternative to a G5 with the same sized screen.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
With a G5 and a new case--MAYBE, eventually.

Tomorrow? Wacky!

Could this rumor have come from some misunderstood report of new Apple Cinema Display designs coming soon? Perhaps someone saw something about a new (aluminum?) 20" and thought it was for an iMac?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Not very plausible.

Apple would have to use their 20" Display to at least have good quality. A re-designed base would make it a pricey computer with that kind of display.

But it would be cool to see completely BTO iMacs. Think how the education market would benefit from this!

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
Now all apple needs is a 20" powerbook g5... hey... that's not a bad idea...

back to the topic, i think a 20" imac would be a good idea, i wouldn't get it, but i'm sure people would get one though...

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
A 20 inch display...WOW. So it you cost around 2,500 bucks, 1500 for the display alone, and 1000 for the "computer" parts. Not bad, i paid 2,100 for a 800MHZ 17" imac.

ramiman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2003
France
That would be really awsome...and if it will be too expensive then the 17" 's price will go down. That would be great but i don't think that this will happen as soon as tomorrow.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
My first thought when I read this was a comical image of forward-heavy iMac falling on its face from the sheer weight.

I'm not sure I believe this, but Apple often surprises me. This would have to be one very expensive consumer item, and if PowerMacs are now selling insanely well, why cut into that market? Why not go the other way and slash prices and make inroads on the lower end market?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It is exactly what I want for my next purchase. I need a Mac with any old processor, a screen larger than 17", and for the lowest cost. I was hoping Apple would sell (not but expecting them to sell) a headless iMac, so I could use a bigger monitor, but this is better. I need the Mac for routine web surfing, e-mail, word processing, etc., nothing that requires a high-end processor. No expandability needed, just the few standard ports. If true, this rumor is great news!

cornboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
20" iMac

Can't speak for the strength of the pivot or indeed the weight of the base, but I recall rumours (yes, I'm english!) of a 19" iMac last summer, this was well after the 17" was launched, so perhaps this is more real than initial thoughts might suggest. Also, pretty everyone who is buying iMac in NYC SoHo applestore seems to be wanting tio watch DVDs on it. With Sony launching their very aesthetically pleasing 19" AIO with TV tuner, Apple probably need to compete in the run-up to Christmas.

restiffbard

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Virginia
headless mac

I would still prefer a headless, small form factor Mac over an integrated system. The G5 is a bit too big in its current incarnation. (believe me, see one in person. if its near an old G4 you will soon realize the immense difference).

But, a headless mac would be nice if they could keep the price down. I'd be happy with a 1.6 or 1.8 G4 Cube with a ton of RAM and decent video.

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
one/two computer solution

Two computer solution: I used to want a large iMac (19" or 20") and a 12 PB for business trips (a fix to the portable jukebox too).

One computer solution: Now I'm having second thoughts. I think a 15" PB and a 20" or 23" Display can do just the same. I think this is the way most of us will want to go i.e. one computer wherever we are!

But, those iMac sure looks nice. I was in Seattle this pass week and saw four iMac in a design firm office. It sure looks nice!

Chomo-

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
I doubt that the 20" iMac will have screen weight issues, I think the main problem will be price and packaging, not weight on the arm and screen.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
If this is real, and I don't think it is, I hope one of the following is true:

(1) it is a G5 iMac.

or

(2) the display can be re-used with a "headless G5 iMac" when the owner outgrows a G4.

I just don't see the logic in spending the type of money required for a 20" display when it quite possibly is mated for life to a processor that isn't exactly future-proof.

Apple does need to improve their consumer line up ASAP IMO. I had planned to switch to an eMac to hold me over until a consumer G5 Mac was available - even went to the Apple Store with credit card in hand this past weekend. Unfortunately I walked out without spending any money because of the screen distortion caused by the eMac speakers and the price/performance ratio of the iMac left me with nothing compelling to buy. (Although, the G4 iBook is tempting...)

Michael

Snlhobo

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2003
Boston, MA/Richmond,VA
Ummmm no

I dont think a 20'' imac would help apple at all. If it cost the same as the current 17'' it would be nice. Like someone already said, apple needs to make inroads into the low cost computer market.

stoid

macrumors 601
The G4 Cube bridged the gap inbetween the G4 Tower and the TiBooks, so it would tend to reason that Apple would release a G5 Cube to bridge the gap now inbetween the G5 Tower and the G5 PowerBook.

Seeing as all of the laptops are in G4 mode, I think that the iMac needs to be bumped to G5 to further distance it from the eMac.

ericdano

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Re: headless mac

Originally posted by restiffbard
I would still prefer a headless, small form factor Mac over an integrated system. The G5 is a bit too big in its current incarnation. (believe me, see one in person. if its near an old G4 you will soon realize the immense difference).

But, a headless mac would be nice if they could keep the price down. I'd be happy with a 1.6 or 1.8 G4 Cube with a ton of RAM and decent video.

Yeah. I have a 450Mhz Cube. Awesome product I think. The timing was wrong with the Cube. People still wanted expansion slots (PCI) and firewire had not caught on yet. I know I invested in a new powerlogix case for my cube and am planning on getting a G4 upgrade for it.........probably over a gigahertz.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by arn

arn

I'd buy one, assuming the resolution is the same as the current 20" LCD.

I can't buy an iMac because the resolution is too low for me and my wife, and for the kids (who can get by with the lower resolution of the 17"-er) the combination of a relatively fragile screen on a dual-hinged arm gives me nightmares (it's an eMac for them ...).

A 20" screen and I can use it if I need to, and my wife would love it ... and we'd keep it in the room with all the Ming dynasty vases and 8' glass sculptures that the kids aren't allowed to enter ... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.