Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogminlo

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2003
I'm wondering if perhaps there will be a dual processor iMac? With the unlikelyhood of a G5 iMac in the next 6 months (it would need to filter down through the Xserve and PowerBooks lines first), a DP iMac could bridge the performance gap, and do so with less expensive IBM 750FX chips... a DP 700 is faster than a single 1.4...

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by arn
BTW, Thinksecret is now reporting the same

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031117160727.shtml

And that's confirmation enough for me. The dual 1.8 G5 PowerMac part of the story is interesting too.

Any guess on the prices?

20" iMac: Sheesh, I had no idea the high end iMac was already going for $2450! Can a consumer device go any higher in price? I think the other iMacs will get price cuts and the new high end will run for $2600 or $2700. But damn that's expensive.

1.8 Dual G5: $2700 or $2800.

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
It would be nice to know what the sales numbers are on the lineup and in particular the iMac.

Apple needs a strong home-based computer to offer joe consumer. For joe consumer, the powermac is too big and too expensive, the power/i books are perceived as 'road machines', and the eMac is an anachronism that looks like it belongs in the '60s. That leaves the iMac which, although dashing w/a great personality, looks underpowered and expensive compared to a Dell. (Please, no price comparative ranting here--you can get a Dell/w monitor starting $399).

For the iMac to be a contender, therefore, it needs <at least> G5 bragging rights and a larger <higher quality> monitor. (As nice as the iMac's screen adjustability is, if it had better specs including viewing angle, you wouldn't need to adjust it that much).

Now, if Apple had a 20" G5 iMac available a few weeks ago, I would have snapped that up instead of the PB I'm using now.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I dont see how they are going to price this thing. Like another user posted, the high end is alread right at 2,500 bucks. They cant charge anymore for the iMac, hell the dual G5's are "only" 2,999.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by Awimoway
20" iMac: Sheesh, I had no idea the high end iMac was already going for $2450! Can a consumer device go any higher in price?

Well, "consumer" is just a rough category. These things are also showing up in businesses and places like university labs. There are lots of "professional" uses for Macs where a small footprint is more important than having PCI slots or a bleeding edge processor (not everyone is producing multimedia).

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
slap a g5 in a imac and give it a agp slot and pci slot and wam a new market, now where the heck has apple been the last couple of years? oh yeah farting around with moto stagnation.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
Sorry, the current iMac design cannot support a G5 chip. Why do you think there are 6 fans in the new G5 Powermac.... geeezz.

However, the current 17" iMac screen/bezel is 21 1/2 inches on the diagonal. There's a lot of real estate around the screen so it shouldn't be too top heavy if the bezel is slimmed down for a 20" screen. We'll see.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
smoke and mirrors plus they needed a silent machine after the wind tunnel mdd, all they have to do is have a bunch of holes and a silent fan, give me a new pcix whatever slot, 4x or 8 agp slot a new g5 1.8 or 2.0 and a 9800 and wham you have a sale and a mac gaming machine. they know they have moto stagnation.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I'm definately going for the imac if it has a bigger screen than 17" and if it has a G5..if it does not meet these requirements, then I'm probably not gonna get a new mac YET

okay..now goin back to my essay for english...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
count me in

If a G5 shows up in an iMac (at least 1.5 GHz) I'm in. I would have already bought the 17" had all these G5 rumors not started. If it's 20", I figure I'm set for the next 5 years.

eightball

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
a little birdy who works for an apple store told me that 20" imacs and dual 1.8GHz G5s arrived today... the UPS guy actually brought them in through the front of the store too -- and the boxes were clearly marked with their contents. i guess they're not being too secretive about this one...

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
there is always cast iron.

change the base to cast iron and your tipping problems go away. Cast iron is inexpensive and very easy to machine, just look at barbell plates. The biggest expense would be a paint job to make apple happy.

After updating to a 17 inch screen a few months ago a 20" screen has become a coveted item. Frankly I'm running the same resolution on the 17" that I did on the old 15 inch what an improvement.

The problem with a 20" IMac is not the screen its the processor. Apple needs to get on the 970 wagon fast or the IMac will quickly be eclipsed by the rest of their line. So while I would love a 20 incher, it is but a dream until it is backed up with a better performing processor.

Dave

Originally posted by Awimoway
My first thought when I read this was a comical image of forward-heavy iMac falling on its face from the sheer weight.

I'm not sure I believe this, but Apple often surprises me. This would have to be one very expensive consumer item, and if PowerMacs are now selling insanely well, why cut into that market? Why not go the other way and slash prices and make inroads on the lower end market?

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by wizard
The problem with a 20" IMac is not the screen its the processor. Apple needs to get on the 970 wagon fast or the IMac will quickly be eclipsed by the rest of their line. So while I would love a 20 incher, it is but a dream until it is backed up with a better performing processor.

Dave

Yeah. I kind of get the impression that they're trying to distract from the lack of a 970 in the iMac. Bribing us with candy, so to speak, when what we really need is some good protein.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by eightball
a little birdy who works for an apple store told me that 20" imacs and dual 1.8GHz G5s arrived today... the UPS guy actually brought them in through the front of the store too -- and the boxes were clearly marked with their contents. i guess they're not being too secretive about this one...

If this is true your little birdy might get some more customers

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Re: 20" iMac

Originally posted by cornboy
With Sony launching their very aesthetically pleasing 19" AIO with TV tuner, Apple probably need to compete in the run-up to Christmas.

Now there is an idea.

A 20" Imac, with a build in TV tuner. I could set it up in my livingroom, to replace, my DVDplayer and my TV... Use the bluetooth kbrd and mouse, and do whatever i like (computerwise ofcourse) in the livingroom.
(and maybe, maybe even watch an incidental downloaded movie)

I'd save up for that....

Cuckoo

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by eightball

Did your little birdie see a G5 logo on he iMac? If not, tell him to poop on it.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by kangaroo
Apple needs a strong home-based computer to offer joe consumer. For joe consumer, the powermac is too big and too expensive, the power/i books are perceived as 'road machines', and the eMac is an anachronism that looks like it belongs in the '60s. That leaves the iMac which, although dashing w/a great personality, looks underpowered and expensive compared to a Dell. (Please, no price comparative ranting here--you can get a Dell/w monitor starting $399).

Deep inside I somehow feel the same, but I find it funny that everybody is saying the eMac doesn't look that great, and then complains that the iMac is so much more expensive that these wonderfully designed Dells at $399.

BTW, Applestores are down everywhere.

eightball

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by rdowns
Did your little birdie see a G5 logo on he iMac? If not, tell him to poop on it.

Sadly he did not. That doesn't mean it's not a G5 though -- just that he didn't see one. He thinks he'll be pooping on it. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.