Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did your credit drop?

• Total voters

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
Yep, Verizon pulls mine every time I upgrade for some reason. The pull just fell off from the iPhone 6 check, and now here's another.

Reactions: Andrewperdomo123

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
So I was told in-store there would be no "hard" credit check. Total lie. My score went from 829 to 809 today. Pissed.

For it to be a "lie" the person in store had to knowingly tell you incorrect info. Never attribute to malice that which is explained by simple stupidity. My bet would be on the employee being clueless.

Just curious, how does temporarily dropping from 829 to 809 materially affect your life? What is the real world impact you will actually face from this event?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
For it to be a "lie" the person in store had to knowingly tell you incorrect info. Never attribute to malice that which is explained by simple stupidity. My bet would be on the employee being clueless.

Just curious, how does temporarily dropping from 829 to 809 materially affect your life? What is the real world impact you will actually face from this event?
There literally won't be any impact at all.

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale

Agreed....so what? Any credit....looks for a bracket, 550-650, about 700, and also the checker can see what has been pulled recently

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I ordered through Apple but chose the att 24 month plan on the ordering page, do they do a credit credit check on that? If so its kind of a bummer since I am trying to buy commercial real estate for my business....

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Yep, Verizon pulls mine every time I upgrade for some reason. The pull just fell off from the iPhone 6 check, and now here's another.

Really? I'm 95% sure they didn't check mine unless they snuck it in there somewhere. I'll be a little bit passed if they did, my bill is actually going down after the new phone goes on.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My credit took a 1 point hit last year on the program. Doesn't concern me one bit. As iRobertM said, anything over 750 and you are great.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Verizon pulled all three bureaus this week for me. But I moved from pre-paid to post-paid so I could order the phone. No change for me (829/832 on the 2 I can monitor). The only other inquiry I have remaining is T-Mobile when I tried them out early this year. I assume that it was recent enough that they didn't have to pull it again for the installment plan.
[doublepost=1473612656][/doublepost]
I think you just wanted to tell everyone your credit is in the 800's. As long as you are above 750 you're golden.

A high rating just means that you have a long, positive, credit history. With no mis-management of finances and no bad things that can happen due to no fault of the person.

A 22 year old probably cannot have a rating this high just due to shot credit history.

Reactions: ABC5S

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
A high rating just means that you have a long, positive, credit history. With no mis-management of finances and no bad things that can happen due to no fault of the person.

A 22 year old probably cannot have a rating this high just due to shot credit history.

Exactly this. I'm 24, soon to be 25. The best I've achieved is 796 until I started pulling out loans for law school. Took a tumble but its only temporary. The only 'negative' mark on my credit is length of credit history. My average is like 46 months, need a minimum of 60 months for it to help your score instead of hurting it. Every 6 months a new school loans hits my account (they come out per semester, not per year) so it reduces my average length a few months at a time. Obnoxious!

Reactions: SR71 and aristobrat

Beau1K

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA

We literally grilled this chick for 5 minutes and she said it over and over citing her personal experience so it just is kind of annoying more than anything.

You goto an Apple Store and you have to get in a cue to speak with somebody who is meant to be an expert, because the people registering you for the cue are super clueless. I just expected a positive answer YES/NO or a "let me check on that for you." So either she was just a moron...and she's working retail so that can't be ruled out...or they train their people to say this so people aren't dissuaded from signing up.

While obviously an 809 is fine, It has been a long term goal through careful management to achieve as close to 850 as possible. I just paid off a car loan too so I was expecting a positive change and this just pours water on my whole fantasy.

And to the poster RE "wait until you have a real problem"...I hear ya man this is a 1st world problem but isn't that what forums are for!?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
We literally grilled this chick for 5 minutes and she said it over and over citing her personal experience so it just is kind of annoying more than anything.

You goto an Apple Store and you have to get in a cue to speak with somebody who is meant to be an expert, because the people registering you for the cue are super clueless. I just expected a positive answer YES/NO or a "let me check on that for you." So either she was just a moron...and she's working retail so that can't be ruled out...or they train their people to say this so people aren't dissuaded from signing up.

While obviously an 809 is fine, It has been a long term goal through careful management to achieve as close to 850 as possible. I just paid off a car loan too so I was expecting a positive change and this just pours water on my whole fantasy.

And to the poster RE "wait until you have a real problem"...I hear ya man this is a 1st world problem but isn't that what forums are for!?

At 800, you have exceptional credit and are part of the 1% that are 800+

Move on. As someone that has gone from crap to good in 7 months, it will bounce back in no time. Life is more important.

Reactions: SR71 and ABC5S

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006

Ok. What bureau(s) was/were pulled? Which FICO score(s)? How many inquiries did you have before? How many new accounts recently? Do you pull a full report everyday and the only change was this one inquiry? Correlation is not causality...

Reactions: HiItsMe

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
If you're over 800 a 20 point drop won't affect you AT ALL. Plus, a pull is a temporary drop...it should rebound completely in 2-3 months. Also, I believe Citizens only pulls one of the three bureaus, so it won't affect the other two.

Which service are you using to check your scores? MyFICO gives true FICO scores, but most of the free ones like CreditKarma give FAKO scores, which are somewhat close, but not "true" FICO scores.
[doublepost=1473642095][/doublepost]

And....you're calling a retail sales associate a moron, but repeatedly writing "cue" instead of "queue"? Hmmm.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
While obviously an 809 is fine, It has been a long term goal through careful management to achieve as close to 850 as possible.

I can understand your frustration, I do get what you're saying. My thoughts in response:

*WHICH* FICO score? There are bunch. See http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/fico-score-versions.aspx
I've had a car finance guy pull my numbers and state a figure above 850, yet previous day two different credit card FICO numbers (from different credit card issuing banks) were 20 to 30 points lower. Doing nothing the number varies month to month simply due to the varying amounts I put on credit cards each month even though every single card is paid off every single month. (I don't carry balances)

Is your goal to have excellent credit (which you have), or to achieve a specific number so far into "doesn't matter" territory that it honestly doesn't matter? Above 740/750 and you're golden, you're in A+ top tier territories. You don't get any brownie points for how far past that threshold you've go, the effects are the same.

Credit pulls are a fact of life in any world where you're financing things. Yes, the woman at the store should have **** and not told you incorrect info. Her mistake. Do communicate your experience to Apple. For some people that would make a real difference say if they were in the process of buying a house and had marginal credit... though at the same time I'd counsel anyone who is preparing to apply for a major loan to NOT risk a hard pull no matter how much someone says it won't be a hard pull.

Edit: Okay... apparently even the letters for Shut The <bleep> Up get censored here. WT<bleep>?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.