Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah, the problem is, that there's no Extensions.mkext in location you pointed.
In 10.8 and 10.9 it supposed to be in System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/, but in 10.10 it isn't there as well (at least in clean install).

I tried clean install – without change: still gets stuck on loading Extensions.mkext from directory I mentioned above. I'm almost 100% positive that's boot.efi incompatibility.

When GM will be released, we will need Tiamo or another genius, I think.

OS itself did not impress me much: disgusting UI, poor performance (OGL and OCL). But it's only DP1... I don't have much hope for UI, but performance should be improven in upcoming releases.

Tried running this in single user: kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
The biggest problem is that Chameleon needs the kernel, but the kernel has been moved and I don't think just moving and renaming will fix that.
You can specify the kernel that Chameleon should use... is it /Library/Kernels/kernel?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013

Ah, that blows. Back to using Clover.

----------

You can specify the kernel that Chameleon should use... is it /Library/Kernels/kernel?

Nope, its in the Essentials.pkg, then /Library/Kernels/Kernel and the Kernel is in a different format.

(Paging /u/tiamo)

Last edited:

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Black screen was something unrelated, the Chameleon BIOs thing comes up, flashes 'boot options' then reboots the computer. I havent even gotten the installer to boot, so no Yose yet. Haven't tried that Chem loader. Will try after this Clover test.

EDIT: Got a nice progress bar after this Clover test, still loading, then kernel panic....

Also, I need /mach_kernel again...

The biggest problem is that Chameleon needs the kernel, but the kernel has been moved and I don't think just moving and renaming will fix that.

Firstly...and this not necessarily directed toward anyone in particular (here on this forum or otherwise) however for some weird reason folks are being extremely proprietary and juvenile regarding this stupid developer preview issue. I had no problems whatsoever acquiring Mavericks DP1 when it was first released however I just wasted an entire morning/afternoon downloading what turned out to be an incomplete file and I refuse to spend any further time with this nonsense.

I might have been able to help (note in these forums back when it was released that I collaborated with several fellow posters in establishing one of if not the first working Mac Pro Mavericks DP1 system), but I am not wasting any further time in senseless downloading.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Firstly...and this not necessarily directed toward anyone in particular (here on this forum or otherwise) however for some weird reason folks are being extremely proprietary and juvenile regarding this stupid developer preview issue. I had no problems whatsoever acquiring Mavericks DP1 when it was first released however I just wasted an entire morning/afternoon downloading what turned out to be an incomplete file and I refuse to spend any further time with this nonsense.

I might have been able to help (note in these forums back when it was released that I collaborated with several fellow posters in establishing one of if not the first working Mac Pro Mavericks DP1 system), but I am not wasting any further time in senseless downloading.

I'm uploading one for you, my speed just isn't that amazing. Plus, I need help, badly.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Well, finally got a nice kernel panic thats readable.

BpPHezmCEAANnFf.jpg

I tried adding the NullPowerManagement kext from TonyMacx86 and enable and rebuild the cache, but it rejected every single kext.

Finally got that sonuvatrucker (boot args: -v -s kext-dev-mode=1) to rebuild the cache, but the last line throws:

BpPI7ZeCcAArLEE.jpg

Gonna take a break for a bit, tired.

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I tried nvram boot-args, touch and kextcache after replacing boot.efi, single user and safe boot – no dice.
In verbose mode it seems to load boot.efi and it stucks on loading Extensions.mkext.

Curious thing is that simple replacement of boot.efi didn't make my YOS HDD bootable again in 5,1. I had to use touch on CoreServices and kextcache on whole volume (like Mr.Zarniwoop said), then it worked normally in a 5,1.

One thing I didn't try is clean install – my YOS partition has migrated user account and apps from 10.9. But it shouldn't matter because it works on a 5,1 and only difference is boot efi.

Did you replace the boot.efi in the Recovery HD, too? The big change is that even when not encrypted, the whole thing is on a CoreVolume.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Unlikely to boot without a DSDT. Start with the one in the netkas thread.

There wasn't one there, not that I could see.

EDIT: I think Im mentally challenged, had to register to get it.

I swear I might not be an idiot.

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
With that config.plist, I still get the same error. Here are my steps.

Boot off of Clover, go into the boot settings and change the boot args to
Code:
-v -s kext-dev-mode=1

Press enter, then escape.

Select 'Boot Mac OS X from Installer'

Mount the Installer drive from single user mode:

Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

then rebuild the Extensions

Code:
kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

then type exit, wait a bit, boom kernel panic.

Going to try using Chameleon for a bit, have some ideas :D

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
With that config.plist, I still get the same error. Here are my steps.

Boot off of Clover, go into the boot settings and change the boot args to
Code:
-v -s kext-dev-mode=1

Press enter, then escape.

Select 'Boot Mac OS X from Installer'

Mount the Installer drive from single user mode:

Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

then rebuild the Extensions

Code:
kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

then type exit, wait a bit, boom kernel panic.

Going to try using Chameleon for a bit, have some ideas :D

Out of curiosity, what exactly was the logic in making the determination that Clover was preferential in the first place ? If it was merely based on the comments being made within the Hackintosh realm concerning the successful booting of Yosemite there, I feel it very important to point out that the vast majority of PC machines utilizing Clover effectively are doing so NOT in a Legacy boot scenario like the unsupported Mac Pro requires rather they are utilizing Clovers UEFI boot which (in case anyone is unfamiliar) is an ENTIRELY different "animal" and therefore no comparison should be drawn.

Case in point and in a reverse scenario when I hacked my Dell Latitude E6400, while I was able to get Clover to boot my Mavericks installer, only Chameleon will boot (now the latest OS X 10.9.3) my Start-Up OS system drive due to the fact the my Latitude's BIOS does not support UEFI only Legacy.

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Out of curiosity, what exactly was the logic in making the determination that Clover was preferential in the first place ? If it was merely based on the comments being made within the Hackintosh realm concerning the successful booting of Yosemite there, I feel it very important to point out that the vast majority of PC machines utilizing Clover effectively are doing so NOT in a Legacy boot scenario like the unsupported Mac Pro requires rather they are utilizing Clovers UEFI boot which (in case anyone is unfamiliar) is an ENTIRELY different "animal" and therefore no comparison should be drawn.

I was only using it since it KPed on a Power Management Kext and since it actually tried to boot.
Your upload is about 2 hrs away from being done, the mother tricking service I used restarted, so I bought the next tier of Dropbox and I am currently using that.

I have now decided, as you have said, not to use it and further work on Chameleon (which hopefully just needs the Kernel to be specified).

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I was only using it since it KPed on a Power Management Kext and since it actually tried to boot.
Your upload is about 2 hrs away from being done, the mother tricking service I used restarted, so I bought the next tier of Dropbox and I am currently using that.

I have now decided, as you have said, not to use it and further work on Chameleon (which hopefully just needs the Kernel to be specified).

I appreciate you making the OS X install .dmg available though I did happen to find another link that is only approximately a little over an hour from completion. It (the download) is segmented and my previous dealings with such files have been hit or miss as far as the image being separated and then being able to be put back together again so I will know soon if I have a download in which I can work with.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I appreciate you making the OS X install .dmg available though I did happen to find another link that is only approximately a little over an hour from completion. It (the download) is segmented and my previous dealings with such files have been hit or miss as far as the image being separated and being able to put the archives back together again so I will know soon if I have a download in which I can work with.

Okay, awesome, glad to have yet another person working on this. It is possible!

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Okay, awesome, glad to have yet another person working on this. It is possible!

I have been part and contributed toward many a hack in its initial/developmental stage. Ironically, I was at a similar juncture when Mavericks DP1 first entered the scene and worked closely with the poster here, "batmanofzurenar" in getting that release to successfully boot on the unsupported Mac Pro. If not I, we, or us someone will most likely discover a solution. Maybe Tiamo is on vacation and has more tricks up his sleeve upon his return...who knows.

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I have been part and contributed toward many a hack in its initial/developmental stage. Ironically, I was at a similar juncture when Mavericks DP1 first entered the scene and worked closely with the poster here, "batmanofzurenar" in getting that release to successfully boot on the unsupported Mac Pro. If not I, we, or us someone will most likely discover a solution. Maybe Tiamo is on vacation and has more tricks up his sleeve upon his return...who knows.

Agreed, it is 2AM here, but here is your link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f49cjr76yx6rqfk/AAC8AQSua9Tk13rTthqJO4_4a

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
So here it goes...

So...in my first attempt I utilized the latest Chameleon release (Chameleon-2.2svn-r2380) along with creating a "standard" OS X 10.10 DP1 install partition that I have been doing since Mountain Lion which at this point I can basically do in my sleep.

As noted Chameleon baulked when attempting to boot the installer while stating no mach kernel could be found. OK I thought no worries...WRONG...At first I could not even locate the dag gone thing. Google then informed me that a.) it is now located in the "Essentials.pkg" and b.) it is no longer entitled the "mach_kernel" rather it is now only "kernel". Hmmm I thought...open Pacifist loaded the "Essentials.pkg" located the "kernel" and as I have done dozens upon dozens of times in the past, I attempted to extract it to the root of my installer. Again...WRONG...despite allowing Pacifist to complete the procedure with my Admin password, Pacifist simply can no longer accomplish it. It just sits there no movement whatsoever.

I then was completely stuck and headed to a few hacker forums seeking some answers. While there, someone kindly shared a download of the new "kernel" file. They also shared some rather unfortunate information. Apparently, OS X 10.10 Yosemite cannot/will not boot with/from ANY Legacy Bootloader whatsoever. So the information I shared earlier in the forum from impressions I had gathered regarding Clover and Legacy booting made even more sense.

What does all this mean you say ? Basically in a nutshell, no boot loader exist (not Chameleon nor Chimera or even Clover) will boot OS X 10.10 Yosemite (which requires Legacy Boot) on an unsupported Mac Pro.

I left the forum, placed the "kernel" manually in the root of my 10.10 Installer and received another error similar to the one folks who tried to use the old patched boot.efi in a Mac Pro's that had greater then 4 GB of RAM installed. I did not attempt to remove any RAM as my take on that all along has been screw it, I paid a handsome sum for my 32 GB of RAM and I need an OS that will utilize every sinking stitch of it.

Out of desperation and pretty much knowing the outcome for kicks, I replaced the stock boot.efi files with Tiamos and well lets just say that presently they will not work any further then OS X 10.9.

I think at this initial stage what I am finding to be the most disconcerting aspect thus far is that OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" more so then any Apple Operating System I have ever come across, appears to have been created to leave the unsupported Mac Pro behind in the dust with all absolute certainty. This is going to be a "tough nut to crack" folks.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
@gpatpandp:

I don't doubt your expertise or the value of your rather negative assessment, but, if I may, I'd like to point out that VMWare Fusion 6.0.3 seems to accept Yosemite as a Virtual Machine. That being the case, I would be very surprised that VMWare can produce a virtual EFI for Yosemite to boot in a window, but creating support for a 32-bit EFI masquerading as 64-bit UEFI is impossible. It SHOULD be possible.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
@gpatpandp:

I don't doubt your expertise or the value of your rather negative assessment, but, if I may, I'd like to point out that VMWare Fusion 6.0.3 seems to accept Yosemite as a Virtual Machine. That being the case, I would be very surprised that VMWare can produce a virtual EFI for Yosemite to boot in a window, but creating support for a 32-bit EFI masquerading as 64-bit UEFI is impossible. It SHOULD be possible.

I have it running in Parallels

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 11.10.27.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 11.10.27.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 446

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I have it running in Parallels

Precisely my point. Considering that both Fusion 6.0.3 and the latest reincarnation of Parallels predate the Yosemite DP1, my hunch is that the boot process of Yosemite is NOT hugely diverse from Mavericks, or both Fusion and Parallels would be utterly confused as to how to boot the new OS X. There must be some minor tweak to adjust to Tiamo's boot.efi or similar changes in the Chameleon boot loader.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Precisely my point. Considering that both Fusion 6.0.3 and the latest reincarnation of Parallels predate the Yosemite DP1, my hunch is that the boot process of Yosemite is NOT hugely diverse from Mavericks, or both Fusion and Parallels would be utterly confused as to how to boot the new OS X. There must be some minor tweak to adjust to Tiamo's boot.efi or similar changes in the Chameleon boot loader.

I cloned my Mac Pro 1,1 to an external hard drive then booted it on a 2008 MBP to upgrade it to 10.10.

After that I put it back in to Mac Pro 1,1 that was running 10.9 with chameleon and it booted but then had access denied symbol. Verbose mode says it stops at waiting for root device.

I think it may have been trying to boot the restore partition because the second option that came up said it was missing a kernel and I tried typing kernel but as we know that doesn't work

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I think at this initial stage what I am finding to be the most disconcerting aspect thus far is that OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" more so then any Apple Operating System I have ever come across, appears to have been created to leave the unsupported Mac Pro behind in the dust with all absolute certainty.
I'm not sure the situation is all that different from when Mountain Lion was introduced. That left the original Mac Pro "behind in the dust" as well. What was different was that Chameleon was already being used on original Mac Pros to boot Lion with a 64-kernel so once Chameleon was updated for Mountain Lion it worked fine on the Mac Pro. Only later did the vaguely mysterious (is it based on unpublished Apple code?) tiamo's bootloader appear allowing for a purely native boot.

I have a more optimistic prediction for moving forward:
  • someone will put all the puzzle pieces together to get a very cleverly tweaked/manually manipulated Chameleon bootloader installation to load Yosemite DP1, likely with some compromises and issues UPDATE: This quickly happened, albeit with Clover, another legacy mode "Hackintosh" bootloader!
  • Chameleon (and the other "Hackintosh" bootloaders) will be adapted to Yosemite DP1, but may keep breaking/need updating with every new DP or the GA release UPDATE: Chameleon got revamped!
  • someone will take tiamo's source code and adapt it to properly load the Yosemite kernel UPDATE: Thank you Pike!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.