Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Firstly on behalf of everyone here I would firstly like to state that your generosity is most appreciated. Not to be at all ungrateful however and this time speaking entirely for myself. a logistical written out guide would be preferred.

Sure, I can try both. I'm going to sleep right now, but they'll both be posted come morning.

----------

Also, what do you mean by "64 bit legacy"?

What options did you select in the Clover installer?

----------

Yes I'd love them, as I cannot get clover configured properly. Does it include the config.plist?

Sure

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Firstly on behalf of everyone here I would firstly like to state that your generosity is most appreciated. Not to be at all ungrateful however and this time speaking entirely for myself. a logistical written out guide would be preferred.

Yeah, he is offline now. I agree with you though, although I was just going to deconstruct the scripts and write a guide here.

EDIT: He is back, but about to go to sleep, aww. Haha, I stayed up until 2AM last night tinkering away at this.

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, he is offline now. I agree with you though, although I was just going to deconstruct the scripts and write a guide here.

EDIT: He is back, but about to go to sleep, aww. Haha, I stayed up until 2AM last night tinkering away at this.

I'm back, want to split up the work? Haha

I told myself to go to sleep, but I can't do it. Now I am coding away. Next post will be with the files!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I'm back, want to split up the work? Haha

I told myself to go to sleep, but I can't do it. Now I am coding away. Next post will be with the files!

Haha! I got it! For some odd reason, it wasn't using my config.plist and I got into the installer, until I got in trouble for not using a GUID partition table. I have my installer, boot drive, and data drive on the same drive, just partitioned, using MBR. Well, I need to find another HDD or halve my Mavericks drive (600GB).

But sure, I'll write the guide and you can do the scripts.

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Haha! I got it! For some odd reason, it wasn't using my config.plist and I got into the installer, until I got in trouble for not using a GUID partition table. I have my installer, boot drive, and data drive on the same drive, just partitioned, using MBR. Well, I need to find another HDD or halve my Mavericks drive (600GB).

But sure, I'll write the guide and you can do the scripts.

Can you attach your config.plist?

I can't seem to get it working now :mad:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Can you attach your config.plist?

I can't seem to get it working now :mad:

I don't use one as it isn't detected or used by clover, I just go in and manually input the parameters into the proper places.

Board Id: Mac-F42C88C8
Model Id: MacPro3,1
Boot ROM Version: MP31.88Z.006C.B02.0801021250
MP31.88Z.006C.B01.0712212319
Serial Nr: W88033AKY51
SMBIOS Version: 1.3

I'll post a pic in a sec.

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Awesome, got the config.plist working?

Not yet, I have everything else working. I am testing it out by making it make the entire drive without any interaction from me. It's just been a couple "duh" moments (eg not making it unmount the thumb drive before running dd to copy basesystem)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Clover SMBIOS Config.

BpVZsLnCYAAJR9p.jpg

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Okay, for some reason, using dd to copy BaseSystem.dmg to your thumb drive DOES NOT work, and will create an unusable drive.

Going to see if while using createinstallmedia will work

----------

Aah, okay

Let me try this, but I am not going to sleep until I have a script that can make a drive AND install working clover to it.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Okay, for some reason, using dd to copy BaseSystem.dmg to your thumb drive DOES NOT work, and will create an unusable drive.

Going to see if while using createinstallmedia will work

----------

Aah, okay

Let me try this, but I am not going to sleep until I have a script that can make a drive AND install working clover to it.

I just used cp...

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
I just used cp...

Oh, so like:

cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/ /Volumes/Untitled

?

Oh, I messed up what I said. I meant to say using dd to create the base system, like using restore (from BaseSystem.dmg to flash drive) in Disk Utility.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Oh, so like:

cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/ /Volumes/Untitled

?

Oh, I messed up what I said. I meant to say using dd to create the base system, like using restore (from BaseSystem.dmg to flash drive) in Disk Utility.

Ah! I see not basesystem.dmg -> flashdrive /

Thats really odd. Try cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/* /Volumes/Untitled

Let me check the source of Disk Maker X

EDIT: Get ASObjCRunner and use something like this:

tell me to do shell script "sudo " & OSX_App & "/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/" & NewVolumeName & " --applicationpath " & OSX_App & " --nointeraction &> /tmp/createinstallmedia.log &" with administrator privileges

What really blows is that I cannot get my GT210 working properly with it. I have to have my stock Nvidia in there to see the boot screens and whatnot, and whenever it is in, it slows my other cards down (?). So Yose friggin sucks at low resolution and a crappy vidcard.

Last edited:

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Ah! I see not basesystem.dmg -> flashdrive /

Thats really odd. Try cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/* /Volumes/Untitled

Let me check the source of Disk Maker X

EDIT: Get ASObjCRunner and use something like this:

tell me to do shell script "sudo " & OSX_App & "/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/" & NewVolumeName & " --applicationpath " & OSX_App & " --nointeraction &> /tmp/createinstallmedia.log &" with administrator privileges

What really blows is that I cannot get my GT210 working properly with it. I have to have my stock Nvidia in there to see the boot screens and whatnot, and whenever it is in, it slows my other cards down (?). So Yose friggin sucks at low resolution and a crappy vidcard.

Is your 210 flashed?

I haven't tested on un-flashed cards, but it works on my flashed 7970, 280x, 6870, and both of my 4870's. Keep in mind this is on my 3.1.

Initial thoughts would be the EFI32 rom would be not playing nice with the EFI64 emulation, the same way a 7300GT won't work in a 3,1

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Is your 210 flashed?

I haven't tested on un-flashed cards, but it works on my flashed 7970, 280x, 6870, and both of my 4870's. Keep in mind this is on my 3.1.

Initial thoughts would be the EFI32 rom would be not playing nice with the EFI64 emulation, the same way a 7300GT won't work in a 3,1

Nope, stock as a stock thing. Figured out part of my slowness, mirroring (ugh why) but it is still a bit slow, due to the fact that I was messing with my Power setting kext. Its fixable!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Ah. I'm still working on the script :D

Lol, as soon as I get this GFX problem fixed and the config.plist fixed so you don't have to input ERRYTING, I'll do the write up.

Also, I really need to use Expansion Slot Util, but it only works on MP 1,1 1,2.
Haha, backfired.

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Lol, as soon as I get this GFX problem fixed and the config.plist fixed so you don't have to input ERRYTING, I'll do the write up.

Also, I really need to use Expansion Slot Util, but it only works on MP 1,1 1,2.
Haha, backfired.

Guess everything does come full circle :p

Rough Edge

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
City of Angels
Nicely done!

Are the ODD SATA ports recognized? And how much memory is in your Mac Pro?

I tried Clover a couple years ago when I was experimenting with getting an EFI32 boot to happen, rather than a legacy mode boot, but I didn't get very far.

----------

I think it's a Clover thing. Try this once you're booted up:
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
sudo kextload -v 3 AppleHDA.kext/
Wait a few seconds and see if the sound devices reappear. That was a sound work-around from Sascha_77 at netkas from the earliest days of using a Chameleon boot loader to boot a 64-bit kernel with Lion.

Im gonna try this now and see.. Thanks for that...

I have 28 gigs of ram in my Mac pro...lol.. and upgraded xeon 2 x 3.0 quads.. still a fantastic machine.. I can't wait for Tiamo to do a Yosemite Boot.efi file, so I can do away with the Clover, but man, I never had good experiences with clover until now... Yosemite is running like a charm... :) (Of corse as much as it can for a DP1) hah...

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
No ****! Well, I'm gonna try one more thing to get my config.plist working, then I'll do the write-up.

Okay. Here is what I had written for the script:

#!/bin/sh

# YOSEMITESCRIPT.sh
#
#
# Created by AppleReviewGuy on 6/4/14.
#
# THIS IS A FREE SOFTWARE, IF YOU PAID FOR THIS DEMAND A REFUND
#
#
# Thanks to: Rough Edge for info, 128keaton for help & writing the guide!
# Feel free to mod this script and improve upon it
#
# https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/
#

echo "Welcome! This script will create a Yosemite install drive, along with installing the Clover EFI to it. When you run this script, be sure to run it as su and make sure that only the drive that you plan on using and your current OS X partition are plugged in. If you are unsure of what drives were plugged in when you booted your Mac, turn off, unplug all except OS X drive, start it up, and then plug in the drive you want to use as your Yosemite installer. Please leave this folder in your downloads.

"

echo "Are you aware that this is beta software, and AppleReviewGuy is not responsible for any damage to hardware that it may cause?"

echo "Selecting yes will now start the install of Yosemite to /dev/disk2."

PS3='Selection: '
options=("Yes!" "No.")
select opt in "${options[@]}"
do
case $opt in
"Yes!")
echo Opening InstallESD.dmg
open /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
sleep 25
wait
echo InstallESD.dmg opened
echo Now copying BaseSystem.dmg to /dev/disk2s2
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
sudo dd if=/Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg of=/dev/disk2s2 bs=1m
sleep 180
wait
echo BaseSystem.dmg copied
echo Now copying extra files from InstallESD.dmg
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
echo Extra files copied
echo Deleting packages alias
rm -Rf /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
echo Packages alias deleted
echo Now copying packages to USB drive. This will take a long time!
mkdir /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
echo All packages copied.
echo Now copying Clover
cd ~/Downloads/YosemiteScript/
cp -r Files/EFI\ files/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
echo Clover copied.

;;
"No.")
break
;;
*) echo invalid option;;
esac
done

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Im gonna try this now and see.. Thanks for that...

I have 28 gigs of ram in my Mac pro...lol.. and upgraded xeon 2 x 3.0 quads.. still a fantastic machine.. I can't wait for Tiamo to do a Yosemite Boot.efi file, so I can do away with the Clover, but man, I never had good experiences with clover until now... Yosemite is running like a charm... :) (Of corse as much as it can for a DP1) hah...

Yeah, I need a .EFI patch. Nice config, I still have stock CPUS and 7GB of RAM with GT210.

I got my audio working with that command and my BT works out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.